Need advice about snorkeling with young children

ready4summer

Hi. Our family is going on our first cruise and we hope to introduce the kids to snorkeling. Our son is nearly 8 and is pretty comfortable in a pool near the side. Our daughter is nearly 5 and is comfortable in water where she can touch the bottom.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think they are too young to enjoy snorkeling?

2. How can I prepare them in advance?

3. Should I purchase a mask in advance or just rely on the ones I can rent?

4. Should I purchase a life vest in advance or just rely on the ones I can rent AND can I rent small ones for 30-40 lbs. at most beach clubs?

5. In Cozumel, what beach clubs would be best for beach snorkeling with young kids?

A lot of questions I know, but please help where you can. Thanks a bunch. - ready4summer

When we were in Cozumel we went out to the Palancar Reef on a boat with Eagle Ray Divers. They were really great with my daughter, who is 8.

My daughter is a good swimmer. I still put her in a life vest so that she can relax and enjoy herself. It also gives me a little more comfort as well.

She has been going out with us in the open water since she was about 5 years old. She really LOVES it! I always take her mask, fins and snorkel with us. I don't like the rental equipment and always prefer my own. The other benefit was that my daughter practiced with them and was comfortable with them.

We do use the lifevests that the dive companies have on hand. They have always had one that fit her.

I think the key is to make sure that there is plenty to see so that it becomes something that the kids love - something exciting for them.

After our trip out to Palancar, we were dropped off at Paradise Beach. It is a beautiful beach, great sand, lots of chairs, good food, lots of great toys for the kids. The kids would LOVE Paradise Beach, http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/. However, the snorkeling at Paradise Beach is no good. There is no coral for the fish to hide in, so no fish.

With the vests they should both be fine. My son started snorkelng at 9 and was driving under the surface within 10 minutes of starting. Sam's Club has some really nice kid size snorkel gear (adults too) right now. I do bring at least the snorkel and mask when we go. I have a small hang up on the snorkels having been in others mouths. The other thing you can do is bring a baggie with Clorox Wipes to disinfect a rented snorkel before use.

I've seen children love snorkeling and others... not love it. The key, in my opinion, is comfort with your face in the water and breathing through the snorkel without also inhaling water.

It would be a good idea (but not essential) to get a mask and snorkel and let your kids "try it out" in a bathtub or pool. I've never seen a child fail to get the hang of it in the pool, and I've never seen one that practiced in the pool not like snorkeling out in the ocean. Jumping directly into the ocean with unfamiliar snorkeling gear can make some people (adults too) a little panicky.

One important thing is to be mindful of the location. Make sure there is no strong current. Also, for tropical locations, be mindful of shallow coral - you can scrape yourself up pretty good if you drag yourself over shallow coral.

like jimpv said, have them try it out. what would concern me is that your ds is cmoftable near he edge and dd comfortable where she can touch botom, i have no doubt that they both will enjoy the sport of snorkling now .depending on where u live, or if you have a pool to go to, i would go out and but a mask and snorkle for them , ( yo dont need to spend a lot ) a kids mask and snorkle is under 20$ then take them to the pool frist wherethey can touch let her play with the set, show both how to clear the snorkle too! once they are comfy there i would take them to the deep end, because of how/ where they are comfortable in the water.

both my d 9, ds 11 have been snorkling for at least 5 years and ds is now a certified scuba diver,

Archived