Green Goddess

TJL

In fact the webmaster is one of our members, so it has been discussed before - but there is definitely nothing wrong with bringing it up again for those who have not seen it :) !

One of my favorite parts are the old menus - it's interesting to see how haute cuisine has changed!

CARONIA was certainly a unique ship. For a while - I guess from her entry into service up to the early 1960s - she was the ultra-deluxe cruise ship for wealthy Americans. (Of course she had passengers from other places too, but her main market was old money East Coast Americans.)

She was succeeded in that role by the Swedish-American Line's GRIPSHOLM and KUNGSHOLM, then by the Norwegian-America and Royal Viking ships (which, ironically, eventually wound up as part of Cunard), then by the new crop of "yacht-like" ships beginning with Sea Goddess (also bought by Cunard) and continuing with current lines like Seabourn (also briefly part of Cunard), Silversea and Regent.

Of course these days, the ultra-rich are more likely to have private mega-yachts, whereas 50 years ago people like the Rockefellers actually went on cruises. Today you are not likely to find people of nearly such socio-economic standing on a cruise ship, unless they are chartering the whole thing (Oprah once chartered a Seabourn ship for her birthday party)!

She was succeeded in that role by the Swedish-American Line's GRIPSHOLM and KUNGSHOLM...

Two interesting comments Doug. Thanks for confirming which ships were the

later competition for the "Green Goddess" - that saves me a bit of research.

Today you are not likely to find people of nearly such socio-economic standing

on a cruise ship, unless they are chartering the whole thing!

This second comment raises a question though. Where does that put clients

such as those on Residensea? Are they not classy enough?

While I'm here, I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who was a passenger

on board Caronia in later years. It's quite strange that there seem to be plenty

of records to research for the years up to 1958, but beyond there they fall

away quite alarmingly. There again, it is a reflection of the times - the 1960's

was the start of the "throwaway age"...

Archived