Dressing in Bermuda

fantavet

I keep reading how Bermuda can be pretty formal compared to some of the other typical cruise islands.

I'm going in July...so is it acceptable to wear khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a polo shirt in places like the Rum Swizzle Inn?

Is jean shorts a no no?

I'm going in July...so is it acceptable to wear khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a polo shirt in places like the Rum Swizzle Inn?

Yes, dress is casual at the Swizzle Inn - believe me.

Is jean shorts a no no?

Not really. But it depends on where you are.

The 'conservative dress' in Bermuda is overplayed a bit in tourist guides. The general rule for women is that you shouldn't wear revealing beach wear away from the beach (i.e. don't walk around town in bikini tops and short shorts). For men they should have a shirt on when away from the beach, including when jogging or playing tennis. That's about it for the formal rules.

Now there are a number of restaurants that have smart casual or formal dress codes but not all of them do so don't think if you're in jeans shorts you'll never find anywhere to eat! A general rule of thumb is if you need to make a reservation count on smart casual - but feel free to ask. You'd be surprised how many restaurants are accomodating.

Archived