Cigar Question

jck720

Is there one? Also, are there stores that sell real cubans in:

Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia, and/or Grenada?

Thanks,

Oledave

Put it like this, be cautious - it can be hard to get a real Cuban cigar even in Cuba.....

If you like the one you have lit and a hand full cost about as much as your cruise, then it MIGHT be a Cuban.

I can't believe I'm quoting myself here. Anyway, I asked a friend who knew about the cozumel situation mentioned above. Keep in mind this is all information that is from September 2005.

The original Havana Club, which was LCDH registered, was owned by two parties--Mimi and John (married) and Emelio. Mimi's husband did pass away in late 2005 and she was left to run the place with Emelio (a real Jerk). There was arguing over everything, from inventory, pricing, and business ethics (i.e.,selling fake goods). He is apparently very greedy.

Mimi left and opened Calle 17, which was closed shortly after opening. Mimi was the only registered dealer for authentic cigars. She was even supplying Emelio and his store "Havana Club." She is no longer supplying him (that we know of) and his merchandise has been called into question. The Havana Club took a terrible hit during Wilma. Most merchandise was ruined and there are rumors he has a beetle/mold issue.

Mimi made a comeback opening her newest store: Guantanameras. This was back in September 2005 and no one seems to know the current situation. I should hear something in the near future and will be sure to give an update.

I'll be in Cozumel in April and was wondering if you had any idea where Guantanameras is located. I went to the Havana Club last time (Dec06/Jan07)) and got a bad feeling from the salesman (I didn't catch his name) and didn't buy anything from him. I went down the street, don't remember the name of the place, it was a combo liquor store and it had a really nice walkin humidor but the girl running it didn't have a clue about cigars (even less than I do that is) so I left Cozumel without any cigars. From reading all the posts, I'd probably qualify as novice smoker. I was introduced to cubans in Europe, Gibraltor (sp?). A very experienced cigar aficinado from Jordan gave me a lesson on cigars and I still have a couple cigars from that trip left but I need to restock. I've read a ton on buying cubans and the fake market and am interested in Upmann brands and some good petites (cigarillos?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

I enjoy my cigars, and will be on the Star in April. I gather that there is a cigar lounge of some type on the ship. Do they sell Cuban cigars (or any cigars) on the ship? Anyone have any experience buying Cubans in Ocho, GC, or Cozumel? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JCK, I too am a cigar smoker. While I am not familiar with the Star, I am familiar with the ports. As has been stated here, cubans (especially Cohibas) are among the most counterfeited cigars in the world. The best way to know if what your getting is legal is to shop at the La Casa Del Habano stores. These are the stores authorized by the Cuban government. There are stores in Cozumel and Grand Cayman (not sure about Ocho Rios). Yes there are other stores that sell legit Cubans also, but unless you know what the current version of the tax stamp looks like and that sort of thing, just shop at La Casa.

Put it like this, be cautious - it can be hard to get a real Cuban cigar even in Cuba.....

If you like the one you have lit and a hand full cost about as much as your cruise, then it MIGHT be a Cuban.

This is true. A montecristo #2, which is arguably the most famous cuban cigar of all time, and also produced in very large numbers, will run you in the $20/stick neighborhood.....or so I've heard.;)

Awe, now why did you have to go and say that? This girl was really enjoying this very informative thread, and I gleefully agreed that there should be an exclusive “cigar” forum. Not only do I like to enjoy a few puffs now and then with my wine :eek: , but I like to do the “research” to pass on to my DH. He and my brother often enjoy a good stogie while we vacation together. Also, my DH and his buddies savor a cigar on the weekends here at home as well. Anyway, please don’t exclude the girls when you start up your cigar club here; you fellas are a wealth of information and I promise I won’t talk much….hee hee :D

Thomasina

That would be an interesting addition to these boards and something I would really enjoy. I don't really mind the CC "Meet and Mingle's" but a cigar forum would be the kind of place where many of us "guys" could chat without the ladies interferring... :D

Does anyone happen to have an established relationship with any of the Mods who might be able to bring this idea to fruition?

Finally you may just need to buy one and try it before purchasing several

Be careful of the bait and switch. They give you a cigar that tastes great and burns perfectly, then sell you a box of field tampons that taste like......well, like field tampons.:mad:

Archived