Spoiled Milk

vesw01

I've been to Florida twice now, and not once did I see ONE COW. The milk on the ship was "made in Florida". So, I have to wonder, just what they are making their milk out of...

:D How funny! Somehow, the picture of you or any tourist visiting FL, looking for cows on the side of the interstate or near the airport, Disneyworld, etc., just struck me as hilarious!:D

OK, now that I've wiped the tears of laughter away, I'll continue. (I know you were saying that in jest.) But ... being a curious soul, I went on a little research trip. Even though I knew FL was a big dairy state, I had no idea of the magnitude. Read on:

There are approx. 147,000 dairy cows on over 200 dairy farms in Florida. Florida is the leading dairy state in the southeast, producing over 270 million gallons of milk per year. Ta-Daaaah.:D (Just call me "Derfette"!)

Was on the Elation over Independence Day and at the dinner the last night the milk that was brought out for our coffee was bad. The waiter said they had run out of milk and were trying to make some out of whipping cream and water and pass it off as milk. Of course, this is different from a carton of milk at breakfast, but nevertheless, I didn't appreciate that approach. Surely they had powdered coffee additives.

• 6 months later...

Sailing on the Imagination, October 2003 had a incident with a spoiled milk white russian. Although that was about my fourth one, and my husband thought my taste buds were numb..so he took alil sip, and I looooved the look on his face.....and I just gave him the duhhhh told ya so look.

This was definately an isolated incident. As the rest of the bar service/room service was excellant.

Tammy

Of our twelve cruises, we've come across spoiled milk twice, once on norwegian, once on Royal. Both times it was a carton, and both times it was in the buffet line. Be careful that the carton you pick up is COLD and not past expiration (neither of these were past date).

BUT, each time when I told a waiter about it, they comletely cleaned out the cartons and brought in new ones form the kitchen. Simply take a smell of it when you open it first.

You'll most likely encounter his problem, if it happens, towards the end of your cruise.

Give me Andersen-Erikson anyday. Anyone ever heard of a passenger smuggling milk on a ship?? :D Perhaps I can take empty liquor bottles and smuggle them in those. Think anyone would notice???

AE!! We got Roberts milk for one year when I was in high school and nobody drank it so back to good old AE. I don't particularly like milk, but it's the best milk ever! Any place that has cows that can be dressed up per the season is good with me :D

I enjoy milk with breakfast, and I can only remember once finding a carton that was bad. As soon as I told them, they immediately removed the ones out and replaced them all and apologized for the trouble.

Also, dont hesitate to ask for replacements of other food items, even if the only thing wrong is you just dont like it. Luckily we had great veteran tablemates on our early cruises and learned from them. Go ahead, try new things, and if you dont like them, dont be embarrased, just ask politely for something else.

Have a great time!

Being from the Midwest where cows are plentiful and milk flows freely like water, I must say that the milk on the ship was lacking. I've been to Florida twice now, and not once did I see ONE COW. The milk on the ship was "made in Florida". So, I have to wonder, just what they are making their milk out of...

Believe it or not, Florida has the second largest number of cattle in the United States, second only to Texas. There are cattle ranches all over the place, depending on which parts of Florida you've been in.

Archived