Christmas onboard

oceanagossipqueen

I was just wondering what Christmas day was like onboard especially for kids and whether you get the traditional christmas lunch and what dress code it is.

Any advice is welcome

Gemma :D

We sailed on CCL Holiday this past Christmas. I have to admit, we were a little disappointed. Other than knowing that it was Christmas day, we could not tell that that was what the day was. Nothing special was done that we could see. I say that, because it may be possible that Camp Carnival did something special for the kids, don't know because we do not have small children. We were in Cozumel Christmas Day and it was a typical day, nothing special there, either. The dining room did have an expanded menu and turkey and dressing was offered, but that was not as good as homemade :D Even the other passengers did not seem in a special Christmas spirit; just the usual good spirits for being on a cruise and on vacation. We did exchange gifts with each other and gave one to our cabin steward that we made in advance and brought with us so that we would have something to present him. There was a special Xmas show that evening, but we missed that due to really rough weather that we experienced the entire cruise. In fact, we were supposed to be in Costa Maya on Christmas day, but the ship could not sail there due to rough water and bad undercurrents, so we spent two days in Cozumel (that was the locals' Christmas present :D ). The ship was decorated (no tree that we could find) and we are glad we went, but we would be glad to go on any cruise and at least we can say we sailed on a holiday cruise, but I would not do it again; not for what it cost which was more than double what we could normally sail on the Holiday for.

I was just wondering what Christmas day was like onboard especially for kids and whether you get the traditional christmas lunch (don't know what lunch was like on the ship as we ate in Cozumel) and what dress code it is (some stayed casual and some dressed up).

Any advice is welcome

Gemma :D

See the notes I added.

We've sailed twice over Christmas and loved it! The first, Christmas was a sea day and on the second, we were in Mazatlan.

Both times the ship was decorated beautifully. There was Christmas dinner on the menu, a Christmas show in the evening, and a visit from Santa with gifts for the children. Other than that, it's really what you make it. We typically travel at Christmas time and I have a small tree (complete with miniature lights and ornaments) that we take with us and decorate. We also put window clings on the mirror (I don't put them on the balcony doors because I want nothing to obstruct our view!!:D) The rule in our family is that no one can do any Christmas shopping until we're on the cruise--which makes shopping even more fun. ;) On Christmas Eve we order milk and cookies from room service.

On Christmas Eve my DD and I were swimming with dolphins--it was fabulous! The next day, our family spent the entire day together and went to the aquarium and watched the sea lion show. We had a great time! We had Christmas dinner that evening and went to the Christmas show.

This year we're cruising in August as we all wanted to go back to Alaska. So, no Christmas cruise for us. :( Maybe next year!

Ho, ho, ho!

Jayne

:)

We have cruised only twice and both times were during the week of Christmas and while we thoroughly enjoyed it each time, it did not seem like Christmas. Both times the ships were beautifully decorated, but it was clearly not like celebrating the holidays at home.

Since I have not cruised any other time, I don't know if people dressed up more or not. We just follow the ship's dress guidelines for dinner each night.:)

• 2 months later...

Hi Dixie Lee,

My parents booked them and Us on Carnival this Christmas (2007) and I was wondering if you could asnwer something for me. I've never sailed Carnival, but I hear there are more little children on board, and especially MORE during Christmas week. True?

Now before I get jumped on, it's NOT that I dislike kids, it's just that I've noticed onboard how some parents seem to let the crew be their babysitters, and I want to be prepared.

(Although Mom says she has the perfect comment for these parents. "Your child is going to be spanked in two minutes. You decide by who")

Thanks

David

I was on the DIamond Princess this past Christmas. The ship was very nicely decorated for the holidays. There was a Christmas Carol singalong in the main lobby with the crew and eggnog was handed out. They also had Santa on hand to give out a little gift to everyone who waited in line to see him. I think my nephews wound up with little teddy bears, key chains and cruiseship shaped stress balls. I can't remember anything else!

I cannot speak to what ships do or don't have as far as decorations go at Christmas time, however, the reason it costs more is because there is more demand because this is during the school holidays. You will notice that other times increase in costs because of this as well, i.e. spring break.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your holiday as much as you had hoped.

I was going to ask the samething, since my husband booked a cruise for Christmas. My kids didn't have a Christmas at home until 2001 (they are 13, and 16) because we either went sking or Disney. So it really won't bother us to be gone (and avoid the mother in-law), but I had wondered what the ships might do extra and if the ship will be really packed full. We sail on the Ecstasy Dec 24. Our rule is also that we don't buy gifts, the cruise is a gift and the shopping done on the cruise.

Thanks for any other comments on Christmas Cruising. Every comment helps.

Our last three cruises have been over Christmas with our two DD's. I can tell you that it is a special time. The ships are decorated with garland and there is a great Christmas atmosphere.

What not to miss is the Camp Carnival show in the afternoon. No matter when in the cruise it is, it is such a special time. The dinner that evening will feature a traditional Christmas dinner with turkey if you like.

The best thing is we looked out on the decks in 80 degrees sunshine and were listening to Chistmas music. Not like the gray, cold days in Kentucky. It was very special.:)

Hi Dixie Lee,

My parents booked them and Us on Carnival this Christmas (2007) and I was wondering if you could asnwer something for me. I've never sailed Carnival, but I hear there are more little children on board, and especially MORE during Christmas week. True?

Now before I get jumped on, it's NOT that I dislike kids, it's just that I've noticed onboard how some parents seem to let the crew be their babysitters, and I want to be prepared.

(Although Mom says she has the perfect comment for these parents. "Your child is going to be spanked in two minutes. You decide by who")

Thanks

David

Yes, there will be tons of kids! It's a holiday for school children and a popular time for families to cruise.

Cheers!

Jayne

Hello,

Several years ago my wife and I were on the Sea Princess on Christmas Day. The captain (who was from England) was the master of ceremonies for an especially moving celebration of Christmas that featured performances by the cruise staff. The captain was so good at this, you thought that he was Anthony Hopkins or Sean Connery. I remember especially how beautifully the ship's musicians (all participated including the pool band) played Christmas Carols, and how thrilling it was to hear the brass sections play Christmas music. The program had a spiritual aspect to it that one really did not expect to experience on a cruise ship.

We had a wonderful Christmas day dinner in the dining room.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

DH and I had a lovely cruise on Constellation last Christmas. Every cabin had a Gift. {more expensive ones for the posher cabins] and Santa came and gave all the kids gifts. We sang carols, had a Trad. dinner if we wanted it, some cabin doors were decorated, as was the ship, and there was a pleasant Christmas feel.

However, it is not home. If you like your homely type traditional Christmas, you will not find it on a cruise. People are going on trips , sunbathing etc. just like any other Cruise Holiday day

We sailed on the Carnival Glory for Christmas 2006. We were an extended family of 9 and were together celebrating the life and love of my DH's grandparents who left us the money. We decided to cruise to be together at the holiday and because their Nana and Papa loved to cruise.

As some said, it didn't quite feel like a holiday but we are from New England and if it isn't 10 degrees and snowy, it doesn't feel like Christmas.

The ship was beautifully decorated. Our first formal night was on Christmas eve and Santa was on board for picture taking.

There was egg nog (with alcohol and without) at the buffet. The dinner had turkey and ham and such.

We would do it again because that is when we can all get together but it is much more expensive.

2746862250100084953S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived