dry suit snorkling...in Sitka in mid-may??

donkeytiara

Judging from your avatar picture, I'd say this would be a GREAT excursion for you! Anyone who enjoys glacier trekking, rock-climing, hiking, etc. should have a great time snorkeling. Mid-May is a great time to go too... Once we get into June and July the water warms a bit and the plankton blooms and limits your visibility.

While I've not taken this particular excursion in Sitka, I've done quite a bit of SCUBA diving near Sitka, and it's absolutely amazing. As crazy as it sounds, I recommend snorkeling or diving here in Alaska MORE than I do the Florida Keys and Carribbean (I taught SCUBA in Key West for a while...so it's a first-hand comparison I'm making.)

As for the drysuit, ask the vendor. Personally, I wouldn't get in the water around here in a wetsuit at all... but I'm spoiled and a bit of a wuss when it comes to being cold in the water.

-Case

:D thanks for the above info.....i'm definitely in then. regarding the dry suit, i'm not skeerd of the cold (grew up in michigan), but am skeerd of a bathing suit, so dry suit will probably "suit" me fine! I'll make sure to pack one of those underwater cameras for lots of photos of me gagging on the waters of sitka sound! :eek:

Archived