Best Dive Shop with attached Resort ??

ESH

Hi fellow travelers,

I'm new to this Board. Our upcoming cruise has a scheduled one day stop in Cozumel in about three weeks. I'd like to find a reasonably priced scuba dive shop that is attached to a resort where my wife can hang out.

I have dived in Cozumel back in 1990 and remember the water is infinitely clear and beautiful. Do any of you have experience with a dive shop that meets my description that is a cab ride from the port. I'm not looking for deep dives or high tech dives, just a nice reef or wreck at about 60 feet or less.

Any idea what the water temp is in March. Is a wet suit advised?

Thanks for your help.

Hi fellow travelers,

I'm new to this Board. Our upcoming cruise has a scheduled one day stop in Cozumel in about three weeks. I'd like to find a reasonably priced scuba dive shop that is attached to a resort where my wife can hang out.

Instead, why don't you pick one of the small boat dive operators that does the surface interval at one of the beach clubs and plan to meet your wife there. I recommend http://www.bluextseadiving.com They do 1 1/2 hour SI's at a beach club. For any dive operator except the ship's excursion you'll probably have to take a taxi to the Caleta to meet the dive boat. Have your wife go with you, find out which beach club the boat will stop at, then she can continue on there in the taxi while you go out and do your first dive.

Another thing to consider, if your wife snorkels, is to do a combo snorkel/scuba trip. Blue Angel offers this trip with a convenient 10:00 am departure time.

If you won't change your plan, consider going with Dive House while your wife hangs at the Fiesta Americana, but you won't see her until you get back as they don't return to the resort until they are done with the 2 dives.

I think that the dive OP at the Occidental Grand does one tank dives and your wife can hang there, for a price.

Any idea what the water temp is in March.
I'd expect 78 to 80.

Is a wet suit advised?
Absolutely always recommended if not for thermal protection then for abrasion and sun protection. I'd go with at least a 3 mm full suit, but I get cold easily. Actually, I'd probably wear my 5/4 mm full suit.

Hi fellow travelers,

Instead, why don't you pick one of the small boat dive operators that does the surface interval at one of the beach clubs and plan to meet your wife there. I recommend http://www.bluextseadiving.com They do 1 1/2 hour SI's at a beach club. For any dive operator except the ship's excursion you'll probably have to take a taxi to the Caleta to meet the dive boat. Have your wife go with you, find out which beach club the boat will stop at, then she can continue on there in the taxi while you go out and do your first dive.

Another thing to consider, if your wife snorkels, is to do a combo snorkel/scuba trip. Blue Angel offers this trip with a convenient 10:00 am departure time.

If you won't change your plan, consider going with Dive House while your wife hangs at the Fiesta Americana, but you won't see her until you get back as they don't return to the resort until they are done with the 2 dives.

I think that the dive OP at the Occidental Grand does one tank dives and your wife can hang there, for a price.

Any idea what the water temp is in March.
I'd expect 78 to 80.

Is a wet suit advised?
Absolutely always recommended if not for thermal protection then for abrasion and sun protection. I'd go with at least a 3 mm full suit, but I get cold easily. Actually, I'd probably wear my 5/4 mm full suit.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Archived