Authentic food for lunch

gypsyrose

We will be in SJ 7-3. Plan on doing a little shopping and touring then take in a good local lunch. What are some recommendations? Not looking for anything expensive, just good. And I will need recommendations on what to order, not only where to eat. I want to sample local cuisine but would not have a clue what to try. Thank you:)

Your post reminded me of a segment on the "Weekend Today" on the 2-12-07 show featuring Old San Juan. Natalie Morales went to a simple restaurant that looked really good. However, I can not seem to find that video on the NBC website. I did find this link from Frommers: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16270436/

For lunch, classic comida criolla (or Caribbean cuisine) is on the menu at the Casa Borinquen in Old San Juan. You’ll know it by the famous mural of Puerto Rican activist Don Pedro Abizu Campos, painted in a Saint Sebastian-like pose on the front wall. Don’t let the sight of all those arrows piercing flesh spoil your appetite, as you’re about to be spoiled big time with food fresh from the sea and the garden, perfectly spiced and cooked. Octopus salad, barbecued pork ribs and Mofongo (a luscious combination of ground plantains fried with either pork, chicken or shrimp), and other Puerto Rican specialties, are all lovingly prepared here.

We will be in SJ 7-3. Plan on doing a little shopping and touring then take in a good local lunch. What are some recommendations? Not looking for anything expensive, just good. And I will need recommendations on what to order, not only where to eat. I want to sample local cuisine but would not have a clue what to try. Thank you:)

try la casita blanca

351 Calle Tapia

Santurce

San Juan, PR

Neighborhood: Santurce

Phone: +1 787 726 5501

The name means small white house. And it's just that simple character that makes La Casita Blanca such a great spot. Locals love La Casita because of the generous portions of Puerto Rican fare. Favorites include the veal fricassee and pastelon de amarillos in a genuine fonda. The grilled shrimp is also popular. Fried plantains, rice and beans come with your meal.

Mon-Thu 11:30am-7pm; Fri-Sat 11:30am-10pm; Sun noon-5pm

carmen

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from our cruise on the Crown Princess. We stayed one night in San Juan before embarking. We ate lunch at Barrachina which is located on Ave. Isla Verde 123 in Old Town. This is where the Pina Colada was invented back in the early 60s. The food was wonderful and we had a lot of fun with our waitress. We were four. Three of us ordered local cuisine. When my husband ordered the club sandwich, she said to him, "you can order that in Denny's in the States..." The food, Pina Coladas, and ambiance were all great. Highly recommended.

Archived