Question for The Islander

DCWeiler

The wife want's to explore more of the local art's & crafts. She'slooking at Tillett Gardens. Is this the place to head to or are there other places to go. Will be in port in Havensight. If so which is best way of transportation and where to catch it.

Thanks

Dennis

There's a tiny shop featuring some of the best locally produced products right in Havensight - it's the Calabash Technologies store right next to the Visitors Information booth. You'll find unique handcrafted precious metal jewelry, dolls, candles, soaps/lotions, syrups, spices, pottery products, and who knows what else. I think most of the Tillett crafters sell some of their works there. Beautiful postcards 4/$1, too. Tell Kathleen, the manager, that Karen told you about the store.

You can find some prints by local artists at the Captain's Corner store in Havensight, as well as seashell candles made locally.

You may find some ethnic locally made coconut/metal/leather jewelry at The Doubloon Company Store next to Havensight in one of the blue Port-of-Sale buildings. The jewelry is made by Alton.

In town (Charlotte Amalie) there's the govt sponsored Arts and Crafts Co-op that's directly across the street from the Vendors' Plaza.

For higher end art, check out Gallery St Thomas on Main Street in the first block, on the right hand side up the stairs.

Mapes Monde in A. H. Riise, also has local print reproductions.

It's hard to recommend Tilletts, because it's off the beaten path, so getting there can be expensive, and not all the crafters are there regularly, so it could be a wasted trip. I'm pretty sure that the places I mentioned cover most of the arts and crafts offered here on a regular basis. If you're here during Carnival, Miracle on Main Street, Havensight Tree Lighting, or Tillett fairs, there'll be more crafters selling, but many of them limit themselves to those events only.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Archived