Thinking about doing it on my own!

bigasufan

I am thinking about getting a taxi to the turtle farm, going to the nearby rum cake factory, taxi back to the Hyatt for a few hours and then into town for a couple hours of shopping. Is this doable? We've not been to Grand Cayman because Hurricane Ernesto rerouted us to Belize back in August.

Rhapsoday of the Seas 8/06

Grandeur of the Seas 3/07

I am thinking about getting a taxi to the turtle farm, going to the nearby rum cake factory, taxi back to the Hyatt for a few hours and then into town for a couple hours of shopping. Is this doable? We've not been to Grand Cayman because Hurricane Ernesto rerouted us to Belize back in August.

Rhapsoday of the Seas 8/06

Grandeur of the Seas 3/07

Definitely go with the taxi to the Turtle Farm; we went on the bus tour and were not impressed. They cram you on the bus like sardines! It really isn't that long of a ride from the pier, but it seems like forever when you're uncomfortable. The other issue we had with the tour was that we felt rushed once we got to the farm. Our bus driver was also our tour guide, and although he shared a lot of info with us, we really didn't get to move through the farm at our own pace - we had to stay with him and he didn't spend a lot of time in any one place. Then once we were done with the tour of the turtles we were only given 15 minutes to go through the gift shop OR get something to eat! It really wasn't enough time to do either - we took our expensive lunch on the bus with us - had to feed our 5 year old. We also stopped in Hell, and again were rushed. I mailed postcards from there, and thank goodness I took pre-printed address labels with me! And FYI- the stamps they sell are the kind you have to lick. But I digress . . . .

Grand Cayman seems like a relatively safe island, so if we ever visit again we would definiely wait until we get there and find someone to drive us where we want to go so that we can leisurely enjoy the experience.

Archived