What is a "must buy" at Cozumel? (not tequila)

bnsilly

I think you'll find a wide assortment of those blue-rimmed Mexican glasses. Styles that you won't find at home. Oh, yes, the vanilla is great. Also silver is plentiful. But, one thing I won't go without, is a visit to Pancho's Backyard Restaurant. Best authentic Mexican food around. Go to their website and print off a coupon for a free margarita. Worth it!

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I found a beautiful cuff bracelet! I didn't go to 10 different shops looking for the best bargain, i just found one that i liked that i felt was a reasonable price that i could afford, and bought it! I'm going to get some vanilla the next time i go (in April) but i have made myself a promise that i will not bring home anymore t-shirts, lol! We all have several that have Cozumel or Caribbean written on them somewhere!;)

Sheri

Prior to going to Cozumel this past December, we had vactioned in the Riviera Maya. Not surprisingly, we saw many of the same items on Cozumel as we did in Playa Del Carmen (R.M.). They have beautiful sterling jewelry, many pieces with black coral, which I love. They also have great things made of natural stone, like chess sets and animal carvings. And they have lovely things such as the fruit basket I bought. The fruit and the basket are made of pottery, and they are inlaid with copper, silver and brass. We also saw lots of people carrying around really unique walking sticks. Everything is hand-made, and the prices are always negotiable.

one thing you will find in all the better jewelers in cozumel - not tourist junk type stores - is black coral. you will find it fashioned in to all kinds of jewelery - rings, necklaces, bracelets - very often set in mexican silver. there are also decorative carvings of black coral which is unique to this area - cozumel and cancun.

I have been to Coz many times and although I still love the island and its people I was a bit disapointed this last time (Three weeks ago) I found things to be very over priced. I think that you could still get some deals but they wanted horrible prices for things like knock off purses and watches. There where other things I know I could get cheeper in the states. O was surprized no one wanted to bargan either. It may have been that there was just to many ships in town that day.

Since you nixed the tequila (which is wonderful, btw), and many others have recommended the vanilla, I would next say a nice double hammock. We bought one there for $25, just like they have on the beaches. The price started at $80, so yeah, you have to discuss price and stuff.

We were among many who dumped their Mexican vanilla a cpl yrs ago. There were lots of warnings out then about it containing "coumarin" even when the bottles say it's not there. Esp. dangerous on the heart. Anyone have updated info? The warnings were taken from some nutritionist I think. Too late to search tonite but will later. I glanced under "Mexican Vanilla" & did see some brands ppl said they'd grown up with. Just a heads up!

I definitely AGREE with Vanilla. We make sure we have a Mexican stop every year or so because of it. And one of my favorites is Antibiotics. There is a little pharmarcy in the shopping center when you get off the ship and you can get Rx drugs without the Rx. We always pick up the amoxicillin.

Was really looking forward to the vanilla, but after researching, I think I will stick to non-edibles...The coumarin is just too worrysome...Apparently it is added alot to vanilla they manufacture there. It can cause liver damage, etc...Just not worth the concern to me..:o But thanks for the suggestions..think I will look at silver jewelry, etc...

They have beautiful sterling jewelry, many pieces with black coral, which I love.

I too love the black coral......but it is a no-no to bring back into the states. Just like tortoise and other items. There is usually a notice in the compass regarding a few different items that are prohibited.

That said..... my first trip there at a little shop a few blocks off the main square area I found a pendant of silver with a raw amythest (big chunk) that I wear as a slider. I got this pendant, a silver chain and a ring for $60.00. I get comments on it EVERY time I wear it.

I have a Blue Topaz slider I got with about a 5 carat stone. I get the same kind of comments. I don't remember but it was about $50.

I had not heard anything about the vanilla. :eek: If that's the case we may all be hurting! I've been bringing back Vanilla from islands since high school.:eek:

Woven Mexican throw blanket. I bought one in Acapulco 16 yrs ago and it's still in great shape after many' date=' many washes, so I bought one in Cozumel a couple years ago and it's just as good.[/quote']

I'll ditto the blankets. We purchased a couple of them 3 years ago at $15 each and they are beautiful. We hope to purchase a couple of more next month to give out as gifts.

In addition to the Vanilla and Silver jewelry, I always buy a few bottles of Kahlua (coffee liqueur) in the decorative bottle. The bottle is dark brown glass in the shape of a totem figure and is not found in the USA. The prices on Kahlua are very good (2 one liter bottles about $19 USD or $10 if purchased separately) and I use this liqueur in coffee beverages, certain brownie recipes, etc. It makes for a nice and unusual gift and the bottle looks great on a bar shelf.

Incidentally, you can purchase clear Vanilla in Cozumel for use in recipes where you don't want the brown color. I use the clear vanilla in sugar cookies and white frostings!

Have a great time!

We were among many who dumped their Mexican vanilla a cpl yrs ago. There were lots of warnings out then about it containing "coumarin" even when the bottles say it's not there. Esp. dangerous on the heart. Anyone have updated info? The warnings were taken from some nutritionist I think. Too late to search tonite but will later. I glanced under "Mexican Vanilla" & did see some brands ppl said they'd grown up with. Just a heads up!

Some facts:

Phytochemical:

Coumarin

Synonyms:1,2-Benzopyrone, 2H-1-Benzopyran-2-one

Description:Coumarin is a phytochemical with a vanilla like flavour. Coumarin is a oxygen heterocycle. Coumarin can occur either free or combined with the sugar glucose (coumarin glycoside).

Distribution:Coumarin is found in several plants, including tonka beans, lavender, licorice, strawberries, apricots, cherries, cinnamon, and sweet clover.

Action of Coumarin:Coumarin has blood-thinning, anti-fungicidal and anti-tumor activities. Coumarin should not be taken while using anticoagulants. Coumarin increases the blood flow in the veins and decreases capillary permeability. Coumarin can be toxic when used at high doses for a long period

Facts about Coumarin:Coumarin seems to work as a pesticide in the plants that produce it. Coumarin is responsible for the sweet smell of new mown hay.

So, it is naturally occurring. Many, many plants and herbs contain up to 3% (by weight) Coumarin :eek: , which is known to cause hemotological side effects in suseptible patients; mostly in the blood thinning department. People who are suseptible will notice this from simply drinking herbal teas. Easy bruising ect.

So, as long as you aren't at risk and aren't drinking the vanilla right out of the bottle, you are prob'ly ok.:D

Archived