RCI Questions

jodee

This will be our 1st RCI cruise and I have a few questions...

1) If the ship departs at 5pm what time do they usually allow you to board?

2) I have cruised on SilverSeas and Crystal and regarding Formal night, how do they compare? (I dont want to over dress) Do you see more short cocktail dresses or longer gowns?

Thanks

Even though the cruise documents say you can board at 2, they usually are boarding by 11am. You will only have access to public areas until the cabins are ready (1-2pm, usually).

As for the women's dresses on formal night -- you will see both short and long dresses (I always take one of each when there are 2 formal nights). Other nights you will see everything from casual capris to sundresses to fancier outfits.

Jodee, I notice you have also sailed on Crystal and Silver Seas. How do these compare to other lines you have traveled? Especially considering the much higher price. I have sailed on Holland America 7 times, Celebrity twice, Regent Seven Seas and Princess once. Trying Royal Carib for first time on March 31 with Navigator in inside cabin with my teenage dau. Seven Seas was only "high end" experience I've had. Very good, but also very expensive.

You can be on board by 1PM for sure, and quite possibly earlier if you are prepared to take a small chance at having to wait around a bit.

The cautions that RCI send out ("Don't show up before 2PM") buys RCI a bit of time if there is a bit of a bottleneck during disembarkation.

Formal nights have a delightful amount of variety. Some of the higher-end ships (i.e. Crystal) lean very much towards country club casual during non-formal dining, which doesn't leave a very dramatic jump to formal. On RCI however the non-formal nights are quite casual, which means that 1) you won't recognize some of the passengers when formal night rolls around because 2) we have a good time getting dressed up.

I would sum up RCI formal dining as "fun formal" as opposed to stuffy formal.

Welcome aboard!

Alan

Archived