Please explain the "tender" experience

nuekruizer

Hi Nuekruizer...tendering really depends on what the water conditions are. The tenders do bob around as they are docked at the ship and can be a bit unnerving. However, the crew is there to help stepping on and off...which in the case of QM2 you do from a platform type thing. Someone is on the tender to hold you and there are crew on the ship to reach for you and assist too. I never felt nervous about it as they were very watchful and someone had a hand on you all the time.

You will fare better sitting inside the tender as opposed to going up top in the open air. The stairs leading up are very steep and if the tender is bouncing around can be difficult to traverse.

We did the Caribbean last Dec and tendered in St Thomas and St Kitts. I gather St Kitts is usually a port where she docks but it was too windy for that so we tendered. And word has that with some luck they might have finished their dredging project in St Thomas so she can dock. Barbados we docked at and there were buses to take us the rather long distance to the building so it was easy. We are booked again this Nov and in addition to the same 3 ports will also visit 2 others. I don't know what the procedure will be there. I loved tendering...it's fabulous to approach that grand ship from the water and see her sheer size. I felt like a minnow looking at Moby Dick...who I happen to think was a very graceful whale!;)

Cheers, Penny

Tendering can be a bit dodgy. I can certainly recall an occasion in Honnigsvag where we were being thrown around right left and centre.

But the deckies are lovely and helpful.

If you have mobility issues try to be the last off - the tender will be higher in the water so you'll have an easier step. And you won't delay everyone else.

Matthew

Has anyone been tendered ashore? I must walk with a cane and I am taking a short carribean cruise on the QM2 which involves getting into the tender boat. How difficult will this be? Is it easy to embark? I am somewhat apprehensive. Thanks.

Nuekruiser, as already stated by Matthew, tendering can be tricky. In St Thomas (one of the ports we had to tender in), the water was choppy and the tender was bobbing up and down like a cork. The crew were very, very good about getting folks on and off the tender. Generally, there are 2 crew on QM2's tender platform and one crew on the tender. The crew on the tender reaches his hand out to you, and the crew on the platform support you by grabbing on to your elbow. When it came my turn to board, the tender boat popped up on a swell then dipped down about 18 inches below the platform. The 2 crew on the platform held me tightly by the elbow and actually lifted me up slightly in the event the tender popped above the platform again. They are very experienced at this sort of thing. At the end of our stay in St Thomas, the only difficult the crew had was in getting the tender back on the ship...they attach a winch to the tender and haul it up (it's quite something to watch). The waves and wind worked against them for almost an hour when finally - with much applause from the passengers watching - they were able to get the tender back on the ship.

Definitely wear secure footwear...women in sandals and flip flops weren't as sure-footed as those in sneakers.

Have a wonderful time, and try not to worry too much about the tenders.

Neukruizer,

I don't think you will have a problem unless it is REALLY rough. I am not too steady on my feet these days, and rather klutzy. They are very good at helping people in. (and out) Just don't rush to get out- You want to take your time and not feel you are holding up the line. Take as much time as you need, and don't let others intimidate you. Your safety is of more importance than others' hurry (and bad manners, I might add!)

The crew was great with everyone, even those who were less steady. Maria also uses a cane, and I don't remember her having any problems anywhere. (Not just labor day- remember, we were also on the 12 day to Panama together)

Karie,

who understands your consternation and wonders why people are so rude around someone with an obvious handicap sometimes.

Neukruizer,

I don't think you will have a problem unless it is REALLY rough. I am not too steady on my feet these days, and rather klutzy. They are very good at helping people in. (and out) Just don't rush to get out- You want to take your time and not feel you are holding up the line. Take as much time as you need, and don't let others intimidate you. Your safety is of more importance than others' hurry (and bad manners, I might add!)

The crew was great with everyone, even those who were less steady. Maria also uses a cane, and I don't remember her having any problems anywhere. (Not just labor day- remember, we were also on the 12 day to Panama together)

Karie,

who understands your consternation and wonders why people are so rude around someone with an obvious handicap sometimes.

Neukruizer,

Karie,

There are two tender platforms. Make sure that they only let you off at stairway B as that is where the handicap elevator is.

As others have said, the crew will take very good care of you to see that you make the step from the tender to the platform at the right time.

I loved tendering...it's fabulous to approach that grand ship from the water and see her sheer size.

Penny - I find tendering fine if it's a one off AND it's a nice day. You do get to see your ship from the water, take lots of pictures and enjoy a free boat trip!

However when it's almost every port and it's raining tendering isn't that much fun:(

Archived