Is the Iced Tea sweetened or unsweetened?

newtocruising99

Y'all almost got it right. In the south, sweettea is a beverage all its own. (pronounced SWEEtee):p For me, no lemon. The sugar content and strength of the tea are crucial. I've had it served to me so sweet, I had to send it back and order unsweet (very unlikely for me!):eek:

LHP, I'm like you. I was on Fantasy one morning, and as I stood at the coffee station mixing in my SEVENTH sugar packet, a woman stared at me with her mouth wide open. Can't remember her comment, something about a diabetic coma.:D :eek:

I was on the Victory last Sept and was going thru major withdraw not having my sweet tea...then all the sudden blinky blink my brain waves connected and I made my own...ok so it was a bit messy and it took a few min. I ordered hot tea, and a couple glasses of ice from room service I already had bottled water...tada... I had my fresh brewed sweet tea complete with fresh lemon, over ice...I was in heaven!!! So what if the waiter looked at me weird when I took my own tea to dinner the rest of the cruise...I had my tea!:D

Pam, I love sweet tea too. I wonder if we could make "Sun Tea" in a water bottle. We are taking a cooler (one the folds up) to keep our wine etc in so if I made sun tea I could put it in the cooler. What do you think-Have you ever had sun tea> It's really good. Have not made it in a long time but it is tasty and sweet.

Dot

• 1 month later...

OMG...this thread is great. I was just thinking about tea on the cruise (and did a search)...as we are thinking of booking the Liberty for December...and was wondering if brewed sweet tea is now available. I guess this answers that question.

Like many of you, I've from the South...born/raised in FL...now live in NC...and tea just isn't tea unless it's sweet. :D It makes me think of that McDonald's commercial about their iced tea...it has an older lady in it and she says something about tea having to be sweet (in order to be tea).

Well, here we go!! I'm from a Western state, and now live in a Southern state. (Job opportunity). Anyway, the first time I went out for dinner down here , I was approached by the cutelilgal waitress who said "yallwoneswatetay?" Man, I just wanted a good steak!! I had no idea where I was at the time...just that I was at a restaurant. Anyway, cutelilgal asked me again..."yallwoneswatetay". I really thought it was the "drink of the day", so I said, "Sure"!!! Little did I know!! One sip of that stuff, and I think I snorted it out through my nostrils/mouth and every other pore! The only time I ever had that much sugar swarm through my body in a short amount of time was when I stole my little brother's Hershey bar and ate it before Mom caught me with it. (I did get caught, and had zits for several weeks). Anyway, I can't stand the stuff, and don't even like "regular" tea. I like coffee...Starbucks. Oh, wait!! We don't even have a Starbucks where I live!! So...I buy Starbucks coffee at the local WalMart SuperCenter. They usually have one bag per month. I'm not lying when I say that: I cannot stand "sweet tea"!! Anyone hear me?? I do like grits (acquired taste), but, man....sweet tea just makes me....sick!!

The tea is not fresh brewed. It is a concentrate that is reconstituted as you get it from the dispenser (it is next to the lemonade and fruit punch in the automatic dispenser). They refill it with concentrate from a gallon when it gets low. If you like fresh brewed ice tea, just get a cup of hot water (available at the coffee machines) and steep a tea bag (also available beside the coffee machine) and pour it over ice.

I make my own tea since I do not like the flavor of the concentrate.

I'm right there with you!! I bring a insulated cup as thier classes are so small. Fill it with ice, steep a tea bag, poor it over the ice and fresh brewed ice tea. I hate the taste of that chemical stuff. It takes me a day or two to get my waiters used to my ice tea thing:)

I live in the south and do not care for the sweetened tea that they serve. I have to use sweet and low. I think that tastes so much better. As soon as I moved here I learned real quick that I must ask for unsweetened tea.

When I am in a restaurant and I order unsweet iced tea. They bring it and I put in the sweet and low. It tastes great. I start to drink it then they come by and filled it back up. I just got it tasting so good. I had a waitress one time actually bring me another glass with unsweet iced tea instead of filling up the one I had. She must have been a tea drinker too.

Unsweetened - but right next to it is the 'lemonade' dispenser - try mixing the two until you get the right sweet tea/lemon flavored combo! (If you want it really sweeter add some of the fruit punch - also right there!)

Have fun!

Froufie:D

come on you just dont know sweet tea you need to try some of mis. Beth's sweet!;)

I am from Ohio... but LOVE me some southern sweettea! My grandma used to make it for me so sweet it made my baby teeth hurt;) I didn't have it for years and then when we visited Okeechobee- my oh my!!! It was DELICIOUS!!!! Thanks for the "taste reminder":)

This has been the SWEETEST little'ole thread! We GRITS (Girls Raised In The South) can't hardly stand our sugar water without a little tea flavoring:)! If they don't add the sugar while the water is hot, then there is a cup of sugar at the bottom of my glass when I am finished; just trying to get the sugar flavor to mix! Oh please, Carnival, give us some sweet tea to wash down the biscuits.

Reminds me of the time my wife and I went to a resturant here in Tampa, and the manager was getting drink orders (nice touch if you ask me...)

Well my wife asked for sweet tea... and he brought out tea and sugar.

And in his very distinct New York accent said "shoo-ga and tea makes sweet tea"

My wife smiled and said "Yeah thats what I thought to until I moved to the south..."

My wife makes tea two ways:

1. For me and most others

2. For people who think tea should have the consistency of something slightly more fluid than warm surup.

I just had to AMEN you on the tea thing:p... the northerners just don't understand that sweet tea in the south cannot be duplicated! It'd be like us southerners saying we know how to do Lobster or something... just not gonna happen! :D

AMEN!:D

Well, here we go!! I'm from a Western state, and now live in a Southern state. (Job opportunity). Anyway, the first time I went out for dinner down here , I was approached by the cutelilgal waitress who said "yallwoneswatetay?" Man, I just wanted a good steak!! I had no idea where I was at the time...just that I was at a restaurant. Anyway, cutelilgal asked me again..."yallwoneswatetay". I really thought it was the "drink of the day", so I said, "Sure"!!! Little did I know!! One sip of that stuff, and I think I snorted it out through my nostrils/mouth and every other pore! The only time I ever had that much sugar swarm through my body in a short amount of time was when I stole my little brother's Hershey bar and ate it before Mom caught me with it. (I did get caught, and had zits for several weeks). Anyway, I can't stand the stuff, and don't even like "regular" tea. I like coffee...Starbucks. Oh, wait!! We don't even have a Starbucks where I live!! So...I buy Starbucks coffee at the local WalMart SuperCenter. They usually have one bag per month. I'm not lying when I say that: I cannot stand "sweet tea"!! Anyone hear me?? I do like grits (acquired taste), but, man....sweet tea just makes me....sick!! Ready to get "slammed"....!

Well, here we go!! I'm from a Western state, and now live in a Southern state. (Job opportunity). Anyway, the first time I went out for dinner down here , I was approached by the cutelilgal waitress who said "yallwoneswatetay?" Man, I just wanted a good steak!! I had no idea where I was at the time...just that I was at a restaurant. Anyway, cutelilgal asked me again..."yallwoneswatetay". I really thought it was the "drink of the day", so I said, "Sure"!!! Little did I know!! One sip of that stuff, and I think I snorted it out through my nostrils/mouth and every other pore! The only time I ever had that much sugar swarm through my body in a short amount of time was when I stole my little brother's Hershey bar and ate it before Mom caught me with it. (I did get caught, and had zits for several weeks). Anyway, I can't stand the stuff, and don't even like "regular" tea. I like coffee...Starbucks. Oh, wait!! We don't even have a Starbucks where I live!! So...I buy Starbucks coffee at the local WalMart SuperCenter. They usually have one bag per month. I'm not lying when I say that: I cannot stand "sweet tea"!! Anyone hear me?? I do like grits (acquired taste), but, man....sweet tea just makes me....sick!!
lol - where do you live that there is no starbucks?

In a University town in a southern state that begins with an "A". Betcha can't guess! And...NO Starbucks! We do have something called Joe Muggs, though. It's good in a pinch!

well, i guess you aren't in tuscaloosa lol - they have starbucks! :D

Archived