Green Grotto Caves & Dunns River Falls

Midnight Rain

Hello,

Just back from the Star Princess sailing Feb 10 - Feb 17.

Just posting a recommendation for a tour if anyone is interested.

We sailed into Ocho Rios on Feb 12, 2007.

We went to the Green Grotto Caves. This was a very neat trip. Especially if you like some history etc. There were lots of bats and a boa constrictor. Our tour guide was very good.

The Falls I found were kind of boring. Would only be exciting if you actually climbed them. I didn't like the shopping area much. Too aggressive for me.

Melanie

• 2 weeks later...

Were there alot of insects in the cave? We are specifically concerned about large waterbugs, roaches, etc... do the bats keep thiese types of bugs out of the cave? The tour sounds very interesting..

Hi bjp,

We loved this tour. There were no bugs that I could see.

The only thing we seen were Bats and one snake (outside the caves).

If you enjoy some history then you will like this tour!

I can send you some pictures if you like.. Just leave me your e-mail address!

Melanie

Thanks so much, Midnight Rain- how was the ride out to the cave? Was it on a bus,and did you leave from Ocho Rios? Were the caves pretty crowded with other tour groups or were you pretty much the only group there? Did you guys do this through the cruise line? We are going through RCI and it combines this tour with the Dunns Falls. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks so much, Midnight Rain- how was the ride out to the cave? Was it on a bus,and did you leave from Ocho Rios? Were the caves pretty crowded with other tour groups or were you pretty much the only group there? Did you guys do this through the cruise line? We are going through RCI and it combines this tour with the Dunns Falls. Thanks again for the info!

Hi bjp,

The ride out was fine. We docked at Ocho Rios, and caught our tour bus at the pier. We had booked this tour through our cruise line.

The caves weren't crowded at all. I think there was only one other tour there when we were, and I think we only bumped into them once (they were coming up from the lake underground, and we were going down), then we only seen the other tour when we were done.

They serve you rum punch and tropical juice at the end of the tour. They tell you they only put a little bit of rum into the punch... but I don't believe that! It was so strong! Oh also, they don't let you take any water or other liquids into the caves. They have a cooler and a fridge for you to keep it in until you are done with the tour.

You'll have fun! :)

Melanie- Thank you for all the info on the cave. This tour is in our top 3 we are thinking about, and we weren't even considering it until your recommendation. Mainly because of DD's phobia concerning creepy-crawly things (bats are ok-and even snakes.) I like that it is a long drive to the cave, so we could see some of the countryside, and I am hoping that maybe this is a little "less touristy." Perhaps my kids would not be so crowded or rushed that they might learn a little something!! bonus! Again- thank you for your input on this tour !

Yeah the caves are definately not crowded. And no creepy crawlers.. that would have freaked me out as well!

I think we had like 10 people in our tour group.

The caves are really very clean, it was very weird :)

You have to wear a hard hat and they give you a sanitary net thing to put over your hair.

The falls are a tourist trap. Very busy there.

The drive was nice. You do get to see quite a bit. It's a beautiful country with so much history.

Archived