Pros & Cons of flying to FLL for MIA cruise?

Addictedtocruising

Hi, I found great fares and the times I want through Air Tran flying from Phila to FLL, our cruise leaves the Miami port in October 2007.

We are flying in a day early and plan on renting a car at the airport.

Could anyone that has done this tell me which is their rental company of choice that lets you drop the car off in downtown Miami on a Sunday morning with a shuttle to the pier. (any discount codes would be nice too)

Also, do you feel that FLL airport is easier to get a around with any less congestion than MIA?

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time

Donna

I would suggest renting from Hertz. You can pick up rental at FLL and drop off at Hertz Downtown HLE and they provide a shuttle to the pier. I think FLL is much more organized than MIA. If you are going to rent a car anyway, may as well fly into the cheaper/easier airport. Hertz will give you a discount if you have AAA or you can book a Hertz car through airtran.com for a discount. Hope this helps.

I would suggest renting from Hertz. You can pick up rental at FLL and drop off at Hertz Downtown HLE and they provide a shuttle to the pier. I think FLL is much more organized than MIA. If you are going to rent a car anyway, may as well fly into the cheaper/easier airport. Hertz will give you a discount if you have AAA or you can book a Hertz car through airtran.com for a discount. Hope this helps.

I had heard that shuttles were not allowed near the port anymore, certainly not for me last year. Has it changed?

we used alamo rented a midsize for around 46 including all charges. Dropped it off at MIA. ther night before the cruise..why pay for the morning of the cruise. Had the hotel shuttle pick us up and take us back to hotel, and in the morning they shuttled us over to the port..there was no charge for any of the hotels shuttles.

On the way back used sun for the transfers cost was 18 pp bk to fll and they took charges

we used alamo rented a midsize for around 46 including all charges. Dropped it off at MIA. ther night before the cruise..why pay for the morning of the cruise. Had the hotel shuttle pick us up and take us back to hotel, and in the morning they shuttled us over to the port..there was no charge for any of the hotels shuttles.

On the way back used sun for the transfers cost was 18 pp bk to fll and they took charges

It depends on what time you pick up the car. Most times it is a 24 Hour charge. I always make sure the car is returned before the 24 hour period is up the morning of the cruise.

I had heard that shuttles were not allowed near the port anymore, certainly not for me last year. Has it changed?

We took the Hertz shuttle to the NCL Pearl on Feb 11th.

Be warned though, the Hertz location was utter chaos - it's right in downtown and when we there they didn't have enough space for all the cars being dropped off (!), one of the shuttles was broken, and they were short-staffed. Probably wouldn't do it again.

Which hotel did you stay at?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn at the airport in MIA..most of the hotels there have shuttles that were dropping people off. Cost us for the night including taxes, etc 121.00.

We had a nice day in Miami/fll went to a late dinner dropped car off around 11 pm., alamo shuttled us to the airport aa terminal(because of the construction MIA is a mess and all rentals company's return are really for now off airport grounds)Hotel shuttle picked us right up and were waiting to drive us to port next morning.

For our brillance cruise wound up flying right into MIA for 69 dollars(do not know how on AA) renting car for day and doing same thing to port

Have a Great Cruise

Archived