What's recommended to see/do in Civitavecchia, Messina, Mykonos, Kusadasi...

Hi,

I'll be taking the Celebrity cruise to the Mediterranean on June 1. I have never been to Europe and I heard the best way to see some of these ports is with a private driver. My question is what is there to see and do at these ports and is a private driver recommended or just go there solo:

Civitavecchia, Messina, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Santorini, Rhodes, Athens, Naples.

We are a couple in our 30's and would like to get as much info as possible to make the best selection and do the best stuff at these ports while also maximizing (or saving) $$$. Also if you have any tour companies that you recommend, let me know.

Thanks,

Erika

soccercrzy6@yahoo.com

I haven't been to all the places in your itinerary, but I can suggest a few things to do in Mykonos and Santorini.

Mykonos is a small island and fairly easy to get around on your own. I've both used the bus, rented a car, and taken taxis. The bus fare is only about 1 or 2 euros - very reasonable and reliable - they come every 15-30 minutes depending on where you go. Times are posted at the bus terminal in town. Buses leave from the main town for several of the beaches - Platis Giallos is a fairly quiet beach, Paradise or Super Paradise if you're looking for more excitement. Delos is a boat ride away from the harbour in town, if you like archaeology, its a good one to check out. Mykonos town can also be enjoyable (if maze-like) to walk around in, check out some of the stores, the Panagia Paraportiani Church, an area called Little Venice. If you're there in the evening it also has some great nightlife.

Santorini as well is small. Kamari and Perissa were my favourite beaches and have black sand. Other ideas include visiting a winery (make sure you try some local wines like vinsanto or assyrtico if you enjoy wine), the archaeological site of Akrotiri, the archaeological museum in Fira and my absloute favourite activity is having a nice meal at sunset in Ammoudi, just below Oia. We rented a car for part of the time we were there and walked the rest of the time. I'd advise against renting mopeds.

If you want to save money, pick a couple of things to do in each port that capture your interests, research on your own, and either take public transit, walk or rent a car if public transit doesn't work for your itinerary. I find I prefer to see fewer things, but savour the experience and learn as much as I can about a place instead of running around like crazy trying to do it all. Gives me a great excuse to go back!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Civitavecchia is the port near Rome, you'll probably want to go to Rome for the day.

Naples is near Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc. Your day can be a combination of some of these places.

Athens, you will want to see the Acropolis

Kusadasi's main attraction is the ancient ruins of Ephesus.

If you do a search on this site for each of these ports, you will come up with lots of recommendations and suggestions for drivers, itineraries, etc. Also, get a guide book, or a few, from the library, and check out what the main sights are in each city, so you will have an idea what you want to do before you book your tours. You should search back to before last summer, when people planned last year's trips.

In Messina, I would recommend a visit to Taormina. A quaint village with an ancient Roman amphiteatre. It has spectacular views of the sea and on a clear day, there is a great view of Mt. Etna smoking in the background. There is some great shopping and if you're adventurous, you can go down to the beach or do some hiking.

Archived