Considering Golden British Isles 5/22/05

PAMLIGHT2

We got a great price for this cruise next spring but my concern is rough sea and cold weather. The ports are Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, leaving from Southampton. Would love to know if anyone has sailed at this time of year and your thoughts. This itinerary makes it great for a post cruise stay in London, our favorite city, but crummy conditions can sure mess up a vacation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Pam

We are taking the Golden 7/21/05 British Isles/W Europe. I have not yet cruised in that part of the world but based on my research even the end of July can be chilly and damp. If you think weather could really ruin your trip I would reconsider and either do the same or similar itinerary later during the summer when the weather (which could still be iffy) will be better.

If you are tied into that time of year to cruise it would be perfect for the Med - might look into that possibility.

I'm not really going to be much help! May in England can be wonderful; we've had heatwaves in some years. However, we have also had very wet and sometimes rather chilly months. On the whole I would say May is more often than not rather spring like but having said that this May was not good. The first week in June this year was marvellous, blue skies, hot sun but until now after that the weather was wet and miserable. I live near Southampton so I'm really talking about the south of England. At the moment we have glorious weather but in the North and in Scotland it's not so good. I think the only answer is to come prepared with layers and an umbrella and sun tan lotion, just in case! I said I wouldn't be much help but England in the spring can be glorious. Hope you have a wonderful time. If you have any questions other than weather ones I'd be willing to help.:)

I did this cruise on Crystal Symphony a couple of weeks ago.

We loved the ports. They are all so beautiful and very interesting both socially and historically. Dublin was probably the highlight of the trip. We had always wanted to do this cruise and we don't regret doing it at all.

The only problem is the weather. The seas can be quite rough up there, so if you are prone to seasickness, beware. However, the Golden Princess is one of the largest ships in the world, so I would not worry too much. The weather is unpredictable. We had quite poor weather, which was disappointing (lots of rain, wind). I would think that in May it would be even worse. If you’re looking for nice weather, it’s not for you. But, if you want to see these places, you should go and not let the poor weather bother you.

Adam

Archived