Belize DIVING- 1st Time HELP!

wack001

Will be stopping in Belize on the "Valor".

I would like to dive for the 1st time, I was wondering if anyone knew of some very good excursion vendors that offer this for a 1st timer. I DO NOT want to do a ship excursion. I am a very strong swimmer and considerd very experinced when it comes to snorkeling. Please post names would be appreciated.

THKS.

It sounds as if you are not yet a certified diver. If so, you will need to find a dive op that offers a 'resort course' - not sure how available they are in Belize, but I'm sure someone will pop up with an answer if there is one out there!

Not quite what you're after, but PLEASE listen carefully to the instructions you get from your dive master -- and make sure you go with a REPUTABLE company. I can't stress this enough; you can literally harm yourself greatly in 10 feet of water or less when diving. My husband and I are advanced divers and can remember back about 10 years ago when, in a group setting at a water park, 20 of us threw on ill-fitting equipment and went down about 15 feet with no instructions. We could have really hurt ourselves.

In short, if no-one tells you this please remember to NEVER hold your breath especially when ascending. THere are a number of other typical tips that people will give you but if you remember anything remember that -- the amount of air expansion that will occur inside your lungs is way more than people think, and is definitely sufficient to pop a lung -- and many people on their first (or first 50) dives use air much quicker than they'd like and figure that holding their breath some will extend their bottom time. Conversely, if something goes wrong it's instinctive to hold your breath and shoot for the surface.

There are a couple of operators who do resort course diving (I've seen them while investigating other excursion possibilities) but I know nothing personally or anecdotally about any of them; just remember, good swimmer or not, diving is dangerous...beautiful but dangerous.

Do your research, find a reputable operator that'll take good care of you during your resort dive, then -- if you like it -- get yourself certified. You won't regret it.

We used Hammerhead through Coral Breeze in Belize. They were not the most friendly company we had ever used but they did show us how to dive and gave us some great time under water. We had done the same course in Cozumel the previous day with Eagle Ray Divers and they set the bar very high. They were amazing and the dive master was very patient with us. We are going back this June and plan on using Eagle Ray again in Cozumel and may try Coral Breeze again. Maybe they were just having a bad day.

I agree. How rude. Well let us know if you find anyone else then. Like I said...we were not overly impressed with them but thought we would give them another shot since so many people had good experiences with them but we are not opposed to trying someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

The only two dive shops I could find online in Belize was Seasports Belize and Hugh Parkey which Carnival uses at $145pp w/o equipment. I personally think this is outrageous price for a two-tank dive 30 mins off shore and will consider a different shore excursion. Seasports Belize is more reasonably priced at $110pp but requires a minimum of 4 divers to go out. This again has my wife and I looking at other shore excursions like the cave tubing if we cannot find another couple that wants to dive.

• 3 months later...

My suggestion (instead of getting a resort certification) is to find your local PADI training center and sign up for a class. Resort certifications are alright, I'm sure, but you could do so much more for not much more money with getting an Open Water certification. I just finished the classwork/poolwork for my class, and have had a blast doing it. We do our open water check-out in a week. I feel like when I go on my cruise this fall, I'll have some solid training under my belt instead of just having some equipment and things thrown at me from someone who just wants to make a buck. Diving really CAN be quite dangerous.. and while being a strong swimmer helps, diving is more about knowing the equipment, knowing the limitations, and how to handle yourself in case the equipment fails (i.e. - your reg stick and blows air (which I hear is common), what you do if your mask falls off.. how to untantle yourslef - remove and replace BCD, weights, etc.) The instructors are great - and truly care about your safety and education. If you have any questions or want to know about my experiences so far - just let me know. I'd be glad to help as much as possible! :)

Archived