TA or Carnival Direct

fisch10

Cotton,et al If a PVP quotes $1000 pp and a TA quotes $950 for the same thing. The PVP cannot underquote the TA without lowering the TA's net price. Which means the TA could then underquote the PVP. Carnival cannot give away commission but a TA can. If CCL were to quote prices below the TA's commish., they wouldn't have any TA's booking with them.

Hey Dan. I've read and re-read what you said, and I'm just sitting here shaking my head wondering what I'm missing here. Maybe I'm not grasping what you're saying?

Let me give you MY example, and you tell me what you think.

For an upcoming cruise, I first sat down and talked with a local TA face-to-face, and got a quote. (I always make sure everything is included, p.c.,tx,etc.) OK, the TA gave me a price of, let's say $600.

Now - I go to two online agencies, but I have to speak to someone - because I'm a solo cruiser and the rate is 150%, and that's just not listed. After many tries, someone finally calls me back - from one agency. The quote is $70 MORE than from the TA.

Okie dokie - NOW, I call my Carnival PVP (and as we know, I've used the same one for 3 cruises)... I get a quote of, let's say $460....!

The thing is - she doesn't know I've already gotten quotes from an online agency as well as from a local TA.

My question to you is: HOW is she able to give me so MUCH less a rate than the other two??? I mean - she's not undercutting anybody because she doesn't know their quotes - she's just giving me Carnival's rate. (And I tried out my theory by asking for a specific cabin on a specific cruise...with all three.)

$670 - Online agency

$600 - Local TA

$460 - Carnival PVP

Riddle me this, riddle me that, Dan.:D What do you think?:)

We booked an inside cabin for 5 this December on the Holiday. I did some on line research and found the cabin I wanted(E32) I got an online quote for the cabin I found, the next day I got a quote from my local TA around the corner I told her I wanted that cabin, then I went home and got a quote from a Carnival PVP for the same cabin. What I found was my local TA was more then $1000 higher (total) then Carnival's PVP and Carnival's PVP was $500 higher then my prefered online agency. Carnival's quote to me was considerably lower per-person, but didn't include the 169pp taxes and port charges. By booking online essentially we got our travel insurance for free. But I also take a hit if the price drops before we cruise because Carnival will reimburse any price differences, online agency will not.

I have booked online more times then I can count, my oldest has to travel to Detroit monthly to see her dad, I have never found a better price for the fare by calling the airline or my local TA. And yes I can call my online agency if I have a problem, or I can call the carrier instead.

Apparently my experience is different then most of the poster's here. Maybe it depends on the agency you use online?

QTPieRye, I went to my online site and got a quote of $756.50pp for your cat 8a room on Conquest. Sounds like you got a good deal with your additional $100 onboard credit. I'd like to talk with your TA :D I have to admit it pays to do your homework!

Cotton, To know what your example means, we have to start at Carnival's website published fares. If in your example that price was $500 on the CCL website and the PVP was $460. Then the others were overcharging for the single fare. Do you know what the published price was at the time?

An example of mine.

IS Guarantee [4A or better]

Car. website price for 2 [fare, port,&tax incl.] $2509

Car. PVP price for same sailing. $2409 plus 2 cat. upgrade. [4A to 4C-meaningless to me]

My TA, same sailing $2266.

Checked 20+ online sites, some were $49 higher than my TA [$24.50pp] which is close.

In the past my TA has been beaten by similar amounts by online agencies but I know I can rely on her so $50. is not an issue.

However I have never had any of 3 different PVP's that I talk to, beat her price.

Tom,

As stated above, never had a PVP beat my TA's price. I have found other agencies sometimes lower but never enough to chance the unknown.

She has done over 30 bookings for me without a hitch [and with xtra goodies] so even tho she is not always the lowest price [always close tho] I'll stick with her. PVP's, in my experience- leave. [they move on to bigger and better things, as they should] I'd rather deal with the business owner.

Dan

Well Dan, as once before, we just have to leave this horse in the middle of the road.:D

Like I usually say to newbies who ask what's the best way to book - just gotta find out what works best for YOU.;) I've found mine.

Not really an 'experienced' cruiser by any means, but my first two cruises were through a TA. The first was a group cruise, which included a Monday Night MIA/PIT football game and the second with my step-daughters and a boyfriend who booked through his TA. His TA and mine were exactly the same in price, though he booked out of Buffalo which saved us a few bucks, but we had to stay over the previous night. Cruise price: Same from both TA's..

Third cruise was this April and was booked entirely through a Carnival PVP. I had a good deal, better than online sites, but basically the same as my TA. I really wanted to do it all on my own, but with the PVP's help, I was able to save a few bucks including a past guest discount on that particular sailing, plus a category upgrade.. 8A to 8E. At the last minute, I saw a price drop, called my PVP and was able to book a Cat. 11 for $50 more pp. This cruise was flawless and included our wedding in OchoRios, also through Carnival, and air through Carnival which was actually cheaper than I could do online or through my TA. (Thank God for competition as we NOW have 4 airlines flying out of Erie). :D

My upcoming cruise in April 2005 was completely booked with my TA. I recently retired, so I did extensive online exploring from Carnival's site to Travelocity and countless other sites just looking for that better deal. For some reason, I just knew I could do better than my TA. After all was said and done and the specific date and ship I wanted (and cabin) were selected, I booked with my TA for the exact same price as Carnival, and within $40. either way of any online site. For peace-of-mind, I chose my TA! She guaranteed she would let me know of any price drops, as I told her I would also do the same if I noticed something prior to the cruise.

So, what is the difference?? A couple bucks here or there, and "peace of mind".

If I was new to the game, I'd pick the TA in a heartbeat!

Please remember.. this is just IMHO! :)

Archived