Snorkeling Help! I priced snorkels and masks today

weebo

I purchased 2 sets from BJs a few years back. They were around $30 each, and they are blue. We used them on our last cruise and many people were jealous cuz they were blue, fins were blue but see thru and split at the end for speed if needed. I get nervous about using used ones that are handed out. It's that time of year again where they should be out in stores again.

Another question, thanks for your patience.

Do I rinse the Dawn out of the mask with sea water after we spread it around it around? Also, If the lenses are polycarbonate plastic what do we use to clean them?

I bought a snorkel, fins, mask set from Sam's Club back in 2003. I've used it several times since then and they still work great. The snorkel has a one-way valve at the top so that water cannot come in if you accidentally go under water. The goggles have a one-way valve under the nose so that you can blow out any water that gets trapped inside the goggles. The fins are sized and very comfortable. They also come with a carrying bag. It's the greatest deal in town. Definitely recommend them.

There is an easy answer to the OP question... YOU buy what you want and let the hubby buy what he wants.

Then when your all happy and having a blast with no leaks, he will be all mad and frustrated with water leaks, you can look at him and say "See, women are smarter then MEN?" and laugh!!!!:D

My husband and I are avid snorklers.. If you buy your own before you use them,clean them w/ toothpaste and water,just like you are brushing your teeth. and you need anti fog..The toothpaste helps w/ the anti fog.I have my own snorkle and mask but have used the ones provided and never had a problem..Happy snorkeling!!:D

My husband and I are avid snorklers.. If you buy your own before you use them,clean them w/ toothpaste and water,just like you are brushing your teeth. and you need anti fog..The toothpaste helps w/ the anti fog.I have my own snorkle and mask but have used the ones provided and never had a problem..Happy snorkeling!!:D

Weebo,

Would you normally put soap in your eyes? We've all experienced that. And there's no need to repeat it. I've used very dilute liquid soap in a diveboat rinse bucket a few times--I prefer good ole spit. The first dive trip I went on I spilled about 1/2 a bottle of some commercial defog concoction in my dive bag--used spit since, and haven't drooled in my bag for the last 20 some years!!! When teaching, we recommend a toothpaste that you like the smell of--a little dab will do--spread it around and rinse in seawater or fresh. Some folks just don't like the thought of spitting. If you use soap, rinse very well.

I agree that the best place was the dive shop as you are paying for the equipment as well as their experience in fitting you with the correct size. They will also teach you how use them, ie. how to clear, and to maintain them, which done properly will last for years. I doubt that you will find this service at the other stores listed above. As a diver for over twenty five years I've only had two masks. I would also suggest that you purchase a goodie bag to use to carry them, it's just a big mesh bag with a lanyard. I would never use a rental. All the best.

Great information and help. We have been thinking of getting our own. Living where we do we only snorkel about every other year on cruises. But going to Tahiti we know we will do more.

I found a good selection at Dicks Sporting Goods, that is where I noticed the difference in brands and materials. Even different materials between brands. It created more questions than answers and you have all answered most of the questions.

We have one dive shop here in Tucson, but we are going to Phoenix tomorrow and will have more to choose from. Thansk again to everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to our local (and only) dive shop to purchase snorkeling gear and walked out with nothing. The masks were around 70, 50 for the dry snorkel and another 50 for fins! what was worse is the lady at the shop offered no help other than to point out which masks could have a prescription put in them, then she walked away! I was thinking I will either buy the snorkel set I saw at Dicks for 60 (my crusie is next week) and then invest in nicer gear at a later date, or just purchase the mask at the dive shop and the rest at a sports store. Other than the mask-does it really make a difference where you buy the gear? Thanks:)

Unless you plan to use your gear frequently their is no need to spend the money for the hi dollar gear at a dive shop. For occasional use the "Cousteau" set you will find at CostCo will work well for you.

Granted it IS not great gear but it is good gear and more than adequate for travel needs. For calm clear water and out of major currents ( short weak fins ) it will be just fine.

I just got a Body Glove premium adult dry snorkel set for $40. This after buying (and returning) a Body Glove ultra class dry snorkel set at Dicks that was $70. Big difference in price-very little difference in the sets.

Flippers: Sams had a back strap and made in Thailand, Dicks a foot insert and made in Italy

Snorkel: Sams whistle attatched below, Dicks its built in so it makes noise everytime you try to expell excess water.

Mask: Sams was seperate eye pieces, Dicks solid eyepiece

Both masks fit great and both kits came with a bag.

Sams Club Rocks!

We bought some sets at Costco. I also bought a prescription mask (for glasses) at SnorkelMart (online) and a dry snorkel. I was quite impressed with both sources and the equipment from each.

We went to Mexico in 12/06, and brought the sets with us. It was nice to head out on our own, and to not have to worry about equipment rental or lower quality gear (not that ours was top quality). It is nice to find a set that fits well and to know it's ready for you and at the right setup whenever you go to use it.

About 15 years ago we bought a mid-priced snorkel set (also from Costco) - that lasted many vacations and snorkel trips over the 12+ years of use. Just clean them well upon return and they'll last a long time.

• 4 weeks later...
A mask that does not fit properly WILL leak. If your mask is constantly filling up with water, snorkelling will be frustrating and you will have wasted money buying something that does not work for you. An improperly fitting mask may press against the bridge of your nose causing discomfort.

There are a variety of snorkel designs. I would suggest something with a single large purge valve at the base and some sort of splash guard at teh top. These features help limit the amount of water that might splash into the snorkel by a wave, and also make it easier to clear any water out of the snorkel.

US$60 for a mask (with tempered glass lens and a silicone skirt) as well as a snorkel is a pretty good deal. Have the dive shop staff individually fit the mask for each person.

I paid about $60 or 70 for my equipment 10 or 15 years ago and was fitted at a dive shop. The equipment is great, I will never have to buy another one.

I'm not sure if it's helpful or not, but on our recent Carnival cruise, the excursion desk in the lobby sold new snorkel tubes for $5 a piece.

They're not too bad either... they served their purpose without any problems, and I'm sure they will work fine with future snorkeling adventures.

It had a Carnival "sticker" on it.

I am not sure if all the other ships in the fleet do the same, but it's very likely.

Archived