Credit Card Authorization?

Hobie

When Princess authorizes your credit card at the beginning of a 7 night cruise what amount do they seek authorization for? I have a new card with $8,000 limit and about 1/2 of it already charged that I would like to use for an upcoming cruise.

Thanks for your advice.

Hobie

Hi, this past year I used a card which had about $1,500 available. As far as I could tell, they did their authorizations nightly. Checked my account from our laptop and never saw an authorization for more than what we charged for the day. Others have had different experiences.

The year before I used a debit card and they never did an authorization until the last day. Perhaps each ship is different.

As I said there are many different opinions and its hard to say what your ship will do.

On a recent Regal Princess to Alaska they "froze" five hundred from our main debit account, and we didn't know this. It played havoc with our electronic bill pay set ups while we were gone! :eek:

Thank heaven for overdraft protection, but we will always use another card to charge travel from now on! :(

Esther

Archived