US to exempt kids from Passport Rules!!

#1parrothead

Just saw this: Of course, after just spending app. $300 for getting 3 children under the age of 16 passports:rolleyes: (we just received them last week) Now, because I am going on a cruise in about a month, nothing is going to bring me down:D . I am just going to look on the bright side that at least now I don't have to keep up with their certifed copy of BC anymore. But for all contemplating what to do: be advised:

The Bush administration is expected to announce on Thursday that it will exempt children from new rules that will require people to show passports when entering the U.S. at land or sea borders.

The new passport requirements are expected to take effect as soon as January 2008. But under the expected announcement, children aged 15 or younger with parental consent will be allowed to cross the borders at land and sea entry points with a certified copy of their birth certificates rather than passports.

Children aged 16 through 18 traveling with school, religious, cultural or athletic groups and under adult supervision will also be allowed to travel with only their birth certificates.

The details were described by a Department of Homeland Security official who requested anonymity because the announcement has not yet been made.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff was expected to announce the relaxation in rules at a speech in Detroit on Thursday afternoon.

Good point. Although in a really dramatic emergency, arrangements can usually be made.

I really suggest though, going down to your DMV and getting the kids photo ID cards as well, if they go passport-less. It looks just like a driver's licence except it says "identification", at least in Ca. Other countries have nationality cards which usually work for local travel.

It's a good idea to have some sort of photo ID even for a little child.

hth,

Sharon

former int'l Flight Attendant

It will always be easier to cross the border with a passport even if alternate identification is acceptable. We drove up to Canada over Labor Day weekend. At the border, it seemed like every car was taking 15-20 minutes to go across the checkpoint. We pulled up and showed them the passports for the 3 of us. We were allowed to go across right away. And they are required for air travel.

Archived