Woo hoo! It pays to do your homework!

twnkltoz

Same question here.... :confused:

Prices do go up or down just like any commodity based on how the ship is selling. They use a formula to determine where they are in relation to their goals and adjust the prices accordingly. You may also see individual categories of rooms go up or down depending on how they are selling. It would seem at the moment like your cruise is a popular one, so they raised the price. More people = more fun. Be happy you booked when you did!!!:D

My partner and I are on a cruisetour on the June 23rd NB sailng of the Diamond to Alaska. I can easily check on-line at major travel agency sites or Princess for actual cabin prices, but can't find it as a cruisetour price (The major on-line TA's don't even list Princess as having cruisetours, but they do for Holland America and Celebrity). I am interested in watching pricess, but don't know how in this case. Our TA claims she'll watch, but on our last (and first) cruise we got upgraded from a category N inside to an oceanview after I called her when I saw the prices drop. On our Princess reciept the price is listed as all-in-one for the cabin and tour, not listing the cabin value seperately.

Any help anyone can suggest (on-line TA's, etc to look at or other secrets) would be greatly appreciated!

dogdoc2002

And what does it mean when a cruise is all waitlisted for inside and outside 8 mos out? Or has guarantee only? Does this happen when big agents like AAA and a few online ones reserve a block of cabins and/ or temp holds are put on waiting for deposits? If 7 or 8 mos out, will the cruise stay this way or does Princess lift these things from day to day or week to week, prior to final payment date? Just hard to believe they are sold out that far in advance for an older ship from SF.

Princess and, I believe, all of the Carnival Corp lines, have a policy of not competing with their travel agents. Therefore, if a TA price is lower than Princess' price, your TA can get it. I check the prices of my booked cruises on Yahoo travel and other "discount sites" and when I see a lower price I call my TA. Generally I ask her to get an upgrade not a credit so she goes to bat for me every time and sometimes I'll get both. As a frequent cruiser I recommend maintaining a relationship with a good TA and also do the research yourself.

By the way, some lines fix the price and your TA cannot get you a lower price than that lines published price, although that can fluctuate too.

Happy cruising!

I read your post and wanted to ask if you would be willing to share w/me your comments if your room was obstructed by the life boats. That would not bother me; however, I wouldn't want anyone "peeping" in our room. LOL Thank you.

No, it's just a lifeboat...they charge you extra for to have your own "peeper." :p

Yes, razarizvi, you can get a credit on a cruise you have already paid for in full. When checking on Orbitz cruise and Priceline, I discovered our room category for a cruise we are scheduled on with Celebrity in March, had a senior citizen discount attached to it. I called my TA (and you can't expect them to go checking a hundred booked cruises to see what's happening with prices), I asked her about this. She said if the particular room we had booked had a special discount attached to it (in this case, it was for seniors only) and we qualified (which, unfortunately, we do and this may not always be the case) and we had already booked that category of room, she was able to get the lesser price for us. This special sale was only available for about a week. She credited our credit card (it was $1200.) using the same card with which we had made our final payment. We were only 4 weeks away from our sailing date. Of course, by the same token, prices can go up on an already booked cruise - and, then, aren't you glad you booked early? This is happening right now with a cruise we booked on Royal Caribbean, not sailing until Feb., 2008. It has already gone up $800. It pays to keep an eye out and keep checking. As you can tell, we love to try different cruise lines - variety is the spice of life! Our agent is great and always accomodates us when she can. Good luck!

Archived