Question about horse carriage rides

TinkyPatz

Are the horse carriage rides near the dock? I'm planning on spending my day in Nassau at the BCH on the beach and pool but would like to take the horse ride to see some of Nassau before I head to the hotel. So with that said...

1. Are they near the dock and do they bring you back to the dock?

2. Has anyone gone on these?

3. If so, are they worth it? They're only $10 per person which seems reasonable to me...

TIA!

Are the horse carriage rides near the dock? I'm planning on spending my day in Nassau at the BCH on the beach and pool but would like to take the horse ride to see some of Nassau before I head to the hotel. So with that said...

1. Are they near the dock and do they bring you back to the dock?

2. Has anyone gone on these?

3. If so, are they worth it? They're only $10 per person which seems reasonable to me...

TIA!

The Carriages are lined up just outside the Welcome Center at the dock.

If you ask.. the will probably drop you off at the BCH at the end of your tour. It's only down the block.

If you ask.. the will probably drop you off at the BCH at the end of your tour. It's only down the block.

That would be amazing! Thank you s much for your answer! ;)

That would be amazing! Thank you s much for your answer! ;)

Sounds cool....how long are the rides?? Where else could they drop you off?? Pirate Museum or by the ferry to Atlantis or ?? Where do they take you and how long is the ride...any website for them?? I have seen them there but never took the carriage ride...might want to try this as our port time is short in Nassau with Glory

thanks

Sounds cool....how long are the rides?? Where else could they drop you off?? Pirate Museum or by the ferry to Atlantis or ?? Where do they take you and how long is the ride...any website for them?? I have seen them there but never took the carriage ride...might want to try this as our port time is short in Nassau with Glory

thanks

They usually do a loop thru town and a side street or two. (since beyond the town is hilly, so they don't go up the hills.

Not sure how long a ride.. but they could drop u near the Pirates museum (which is right in town - about 1/2 way thru the tour). or the ferry .. which is just a few meters from where the carriage would end your tour.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there last April we did the carriage ride and it was ok. Our guide wasn't a very loud talker and it was pretty noisy so we didn't hear much of the tour but it was a nice way to see the city. I will warn you tho that it was a bit scary at some points as far as traffic goes, they seemed annoyed with the carriage and there were times when I thought it was possible we might get run over.

I did this when I was there, and did not like it. It was a ride around town at full speed in a buggy with no shocks. I was hoping for a romantic moment for me and my wife, neither of us would do it again.

:eek: you mean at full gallop?

I was hoping for a romantic moment too and to take some pictures. Now I'm not too sure, if the horse if going really fast I won't be able to do any of this.

Just thought I'd jump in here...just got back from Nassau. It seems to me (we did the walking tour) that the town is VERY busy, traffic wise. Where the horses and carriages go, there is a lot of traffic, and the roads are narrow. We witnessed them all over the surrounding roads from the pier. I am a previous horse owner, so perhaps I am more sensitive to the gentle nature of this animal, but I did not have a good feeling about these rides. MANY of the horses looked thin to me. Also, we witnessed one on a fairly steep hill at a dead stop due to traffic. When the carriage driver tried to get horse to move, his metal shoes seemed so worn, that his foot slipped on the pavement. His knee buckled and I truly thought he would fall. Also, it gets quite hot on the island...although I was happy to see that when the horses are not in use, they are under a canopy and are provided drinking water. You can judge for yourself, but I did not feel that (because of the traffic) this would be the "romantic" ride that you are looking for. Have fun, whatever you decide! Mary :)

Just thought I'd jump in here...just got back from Nassau. It seems to me (we did the walking tour) that the town is VERY busy, traffic wise. Where the horses and carriages go, there is a lot of traffic, and the roads are narrow. We witnessed them all over the surrounding roads from the pier. I am a previous horse owner, so perhaps I am more sensitive to the gentle nature of this animal, but I did not have a good feeling about these rides. MANY of the horses looked thin to me. Also, we witnessed one on a fairly steep hill at a dead stop due to traffic. When the carriage driver tried to get horse to move, his metal shoes seemed so worn, that his foot slipped on the pavement. His knee buckled and I truly thought he would fall. Also, it gets quite hot on the island...although I was happy to see that when the horses are not in use, they are under a canopy and are provided drinking water. You can judge for yourself, but I did not feel that (because of the traffic) this would be the "romantic" ride that you are looking for. Have fun, whatever you decide! Mary :)

:eek: oh, don't tell me that! I know horses and if I see what you saw I will definitely NOT sponsor their business. Guess I will wait and see...

Thank you for the information though!

:eek: oh, don't tell me that! I know horses and if I see what you saw I will definitely NOT sponsor their business. Guess I will wait and see...

Thank you for the information though!

There's an association that creates rules for the drivers and "time out" for horses during the heat of the day (ususally 1-3pm.. but it's staggered a bit). The horse are well fed and cared for. Most horses in the bahamas are quite thin.. even the wild horses that get plenty of nourishment and roam freely.

I agree that the traffic is a nuisance, but the horses are very used to it.

If there's a specific driver that is going against the rules.. then he needs to be reported. Otherwise, enjoy the ride.

There's an association that creates rules for the drivers and "time out" for horses during the heat of the day (ususally 1-3pm.. but it's staggered a bit). The horse are well fed and cared for. Most horses in the bahamas are quite thin.. even the wild horses that get plenty of nourishment and roam freely.

I agree that the traffic is a nuisance, but the horses are very used to it.

If there's a specific driver that is going against the rules.. then he needs to be reported. Otherwise, enjoy the ride.

Thank you for the info. I didn't mean to say they are mistreating the horses, I haven't even been there! :o

I guess I'll decide when i get there... I'm Puerto Rican and in San Juan, PR the carriage rides are usually amongst a LOT of traffic. I guess since I've always been used to lots of traffic it wouldn't bother me at all. I just wanted to see a little bit of the town because I can't walk a lot and didn't want to do a tour.

Archived