Coral breeze reliable?

FutureDRWorldTraveller

I have heard many positive post on Coral Breeze and really would like to look into snorkeling. My boat is in port from 7am-4pm. Has anyone ever done the C.B excursion in that time?

The website says no one has been left behind is that true?

Also, I am doing a beach day in Costa Maya. In Belize would it be wise to do Mayan Ruins or are those not too big of a deal? I might to the ruins in Costa Maya... ANY ADVICE??? I don't want to miss ruins if they are that great but I don't want to spend a half day being bored either.

I have been to Africa, South America, and already have Europe planned (May!). I have seen a lot of cultural stuff and I want this to be about relaxation

anyone??? has anyone heard if coral breeze has ever been late???

or if you took the tour how much time was there between whne you got back to the dock and the last tender leaving?

My DW and I were in Belize this past Nov. 22nd and we went on the Shark/Ray Alley snorkel tour with Coral Breeze. They offered the tour that had been promised, they were fun, they provided for a safe and informative day that we were very pleased with. They watched the time carefully and we were back to the dock in time to catch the tender back to the ship. I am certain that if you contacted them and asked questions and explained your concerns that they would address those things with you. They have a web site at coralbreezelimiteddotcom that has a lot of information and pictures that may be helpful to you. They contacted me back right away when I notified them of our interest in their tour. See below my signature, the smugmug link, there are some underwater photos there that were taken while on that tour. Good luck as you sort this all out.

Randy

Coral Breeze is awsome. We did the Shark/Ray Alley tour in August and it was one of the best tours we've ever had!

Coral Breeze's business comes mainly from these boards. If they were to be late and cause passengers to miss the ship, they'd be out of business in a heartbeat. They are very reliable. We had about 90 minutes from the time we got back from our tour until the last tender to the ship. Gave us enough time for some shopping and hair braiding.

We've done the same itinerary that you are doing. We did the ruins in Costa Maya. When we got off the ship, we just booked with a company in the tourist village. We saw the Chachhoben (SP?) Ruins. What is interesting is that these ruins were recently discovered. We hired a guide at the ruins who was very knowlegable about the ruins and the local area.

If memory serves, it was about an hour ride to the ruins, two hours there, and an hour back. We were back in time to have a late lunch on the ship.

Enjoy!

My wife,two daughters and myself just returned from Belize where we booked with Coral Breeze for the snorkel and manatee sighting.Hammerhead Sports does this tour for Coral Breeze and i can not say enough nice things about them.Our tour guide was Mister Big and the captain was Randolph, they did everything on the tour they said they would and more. We were the only 4 that showed up and they still took us out,snorkeling was awesome and they let us snorkel till we were wore out.They took us looking for manatees and we seen 7 or 8 different ones including a cow and calf,great photo ops,IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCH WOULD DEFINITELY USR CORAL BREEZE AND HAMMERHEAD SPORTS. Rod

Where did you read bad reviews of Coral Breezes ?

I am considering using them in Belize. We want to go snorkeling, manatee, and shark ray alley.

any suggestions would be appreciated !

thanks !

hatchie,

Coral Breezes is great. There was an incident two years ago where a tour came back just in the nick of time to catch the last tender to the ship. There was also another review stating that the tour was cancelled due to lack of people. Those are the only bad reviews I've seen for Coral Breeze.

I think the previous person was referring to the Carnival Tours getting bad reviews. The ships tours tend to be "cattle calls". Lots and lots of people.

Coral Breezes offers personal service. We had 16 people in our group and about 30 total on the boat. They helped us make sure the kids had their equipment on properly and kept an eye on the kids in the water.

Also arranged for us to get four golf carts on Caulker Caye for touring.

Can't wait to go back and do another tour with them.

Enjoy!

Hatchie, I went back and found the original posts that the other cruise critic member started relating the issues we had with Coral Breeze after your post on the other thread. This lady is not a nit picker and she definitely knew how to have a good time. She portayed a truthful depiction of the days events and it was unembellished. They were a very fun and nice couple, I would love to cruise with again.

Truthfully I don't know if any of this is pertinant information anyway, since Coral Breeze is not a licensed tour operator and has not been at least since January 2006, perhaps even longer. When in reality the company that is now providing these tours is not Coral Breeze at all, it is Hammerhead Watersports. Hammerhead is licensed to operate in Belize. Coral Breeze started using Hammerhead shortly after there was an inestigation following an incident where a man died during a snorkelling excursion. During that investigation CB completely suspended tour operations, so it does make one wonder what happened. So in essence what seems to be going on is everyone is making reservations with Coral Breeze who then appears to be brokering that tour business to Hammerhead. So in my opinion Coral Breeze is simply a ticket agent and not the actual tour operator. I have no opinion of Hammerhead Watersports, but wonder exactly what their relationship is to Coral Breeze.

Here are some applicable posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=255581

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=279654&page=2 see post #28

Coral Breeze website ( which is very nice actually) states that they work in conjunction with Hammerhead Watersports. So what is the problem?

Are they not good? as we are looking to book with them for our upcoming cruise, but certainly don't want to book with someone unreputable. Like I said though, their website is very nice, & they are obviously less expensive than the ship's excursions as well as offering things the ships don't.

Feedback? Seems to be some of good & bad??

Florida Cruiser Girl, I can't answer your question. All I know is my own experience with Coral Breeze and the chain of events that transpired prior to Hammerhead entering the picture. I have never done business with Hammerhead and know nothing about them. But bear in mind you are paying Coral Breeze and your contract is with them. If you are going to do business with them make an informed decision and check out the terms and conditions of their contract with you should you choose to do business with them. Here is a link: http://www.coralbreezetours.com/terms_conditions.html

Evidently the folks at Coral Breeze are paying close attention to these boards. I just got an email from a gentleman named Mark Malkasian who is evidently affiliated with Coral Breeze. He when into an explanation of what has transpired over the course of the past year or so with Coral Breeze. He goes on to say that the original owner left the business etc. To make a long story short it seems that Coral Breeze Tours is under different management, than the company I knew as Coral Breeze Ltd and the only similarity is that some of the Hammerhead crew were members of the original Coral Breeze team. He generously offered a tour at half price to us, as a good will gesture, which I appreciate.

I find this news encouraging, and it does make me feel better to know that things have changed with Coral Breeze.

Evidently the folks at Coral Breeze are paying close attention to these boards. I just got an email from a gentleman named Mark Malkasian who is evidently affiliated with Coral Breeze. He when into an explanation of what has transpired over the course of the past year or so with Coral Breeze. He goes on to say that the original owner left the business etc. To make a long story short it seems that Coral Breeze Tours is under different management, than the company I knew as Coral Breeze Ltd and the only similarity is that some of the Hammerhead crew were members of the original Coral Breeze team. He generously offered a tour at half price to us, as a good will gesture, which I appreciate.

I find this news encouraging, and it does make me feel better to know that things have changed with Coral Breeze.

That is good news mrleo-

i sent you a post earlier and it didn't show up so guess it got eaten !

I wanted to tell you a tour I was considering and see what your thoughts are since I am newbie to Belize and you have been.

Came across an independent snorkeling tour with a couple-Grumpy and Happy-interesting name I know. If you have a chance look at their website:

They are out of Ambergris so you have to take flight over after taxi where we tender off ship. Then you are with them snorkeling, shark ray alley, for rest of day until you catch flight back. It is more expensive at $146 per person. He talked me out of manatee-limited visibility and out of way.

Very responsive and the owner actually called me tonight to answer my questions. Members of tourism board.

However I wonder if I am trying to get too much in and having to do the flight adds a little time and one more step.

I would prefer to take a private charter from Belize City. Tsunami adventures (Heather) and I have communicated and they offer this and it is a bit less.

I am still looking I guess.

I appreciate your feedback !!

I just returned from Belize last week. We originally booked with Coral Breezes and upon arrival at the dock, there were representatives from Hammerhead Watersports waiting our arrival. There were a total of 8 of us that booked.

Had a awesome time! On the way out we stopped for a manatee sighting but never did see one then had dolphins come up to the boat. Did a short stop to drop off the lunch menu which by the way was very good and the homemade tortillas for the burrito's were excellent.

We stopped at the reef first and snorkeled for about an hour. Saw lots of sealife, huge eel etc. Then off to shark/ray alley. We saw 1 shark approaching the boat but never close enough to get in the water with or feed but the rays were fun. Spent about 1 1/2 hrs on Caye Caulker eating, shopping and hanging out. Our tour guides Mark & Heddie (sp?) were both very good.

Upon returning we went right to the tender and were on the ship a few hours before departing. If I ever go back I'm definitely booking with them again.

I just returned from Belize last week. We originally booked with Coral Breezes and upon arrival at the dock, there were representatives from Hammerhead Watersports waiting our arrival. There were a total of 8 of us that booked.

Had a awesome time! On the way out we stopped for a manatee sighting but never did see one then had dolphins come up to the boat. Did a short stop to drop off the lunch menu which by the way was very good and the homemade tortillas for the burrito's were excellent.

We stopped at the reef first and snorkeled for about an hour. Saw lots of sealife, huge eel etc. Then off to shark/ray alley. We saw 1 shark approaching the boat but never close enough to get in the water with or feed but the rays were fun. Spent about 1 1/2 hrs on Caye Caulker eating, shopping and hanging out. Our tour guides Mark & Heddie (sp?) were both very good.

Upon returning we went right to the tender and were on the ship a few hours before departing. If I ever go back I'm definitely booking with them again.

SLCBoys-Hi- I had a few questions regarding your experience mentioned above.

Was this a private charter or just tour from website that you got lucky to have such a small group ?

Do you have pictures ?

Thank you !

Has anyone heard of private snorkeling trips with a couple whose business is named: Grumpy and Happy ??

This is also same name of their boat.

They only do private charters and you take a taxi after getting off ship in Belize to the airport for 15 minute flight on a cesna over to Ambergris Caye. They pick you up at airport and boat is waiting for you.

Snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley and other spots as you choose. Full day. Return via cesna to get back to ship.

Very friendly but loooking for feedback ?? Thank you !!

website is grumpyandhappy dot com

I just booked it through Coral Breezes and they use Hammer Head Watersports as their operator. I guess we just lucked out having just 8 of us going. They couldn't have had many more since the boat was small. It took about an hour to get to to Caye Caulker from Belize but it's a beautiful ride out.

I have lots of pictures but none downloaded off my camera yet.

I just booked it through Coral Breezes and they use Hammer Head Watersports as their operator. I guess we just lucked out having just 8 of us going. They couldn't have had many more since the boat was small. It took about an hour to get to to Caye Caulker from Belize but it's a beautiful ride out.

I would love to see your pictures when they are downloaded. Also, was the ride to Caye Caulker smooth or were the waters rough. My mom might come with is but she has some issues with seasickness. Thanks!

We just did the Shark Ray Alley snorkeling tour with Coral Breeze two weeks ago. We knew in advance that we would be meeting Hammerhead staff at the dock. Due to having an unusual six ships in port that day, several of us were late getting to the dock due to slow tender service. Hammerhead waited a while for the additional people they were expecting to get there. There was a great moment when they called a departing boat back to the dock to pick up a couple from our ship that had arrived quite late due to the tender problem - they got them on their tour!

Henny and Mark did a good job of handling us as beginner snorkelers. The snorkeling was interesting at the Coral Gardens - colorful fish, not too colorful coral. It was a little wavy that day so it was some work coordinating the snorkeling with keeping up with the group and not bumping into other snorkelers. We really liked the time with the stingrays. They just kept swimming around us (looking for sardines!) and were velvety to touch. Didn't see any nurse sharks, but did get to see a barracuda up close.

Only had about an hour on Caye Caulker, probably shortened because we left the Belize City late due to the tender delays. Wish we'd had a bit longer there, but we're glad that they got us back to Belize City with time for a Belikan and conch fritters before returning to our ship.

We'd definitely recommend Coral Breeze for beginning snorkelers. They ran a relaxed and reliable tour.

We did the Shark/Ray alley tour with Coral Breeze in 2005 and had a great time. We saw countless rays and at least 6 nurse sharks came right up to the boat. I have several underwater pics of nurse sharks. The staff said the sharks normally leave when people enter the water, but these stayed around for quite some time. We will be in Belize again next week and I am taking my son on this same tour... I'm hoping Hammerhead does a comparable job to Coral Breeze, they were excellent.

On another note... for our upcoming cruise, in 2 days!!:D :D :D , Our party had split up between 2 different coral breeze tours. One of them had to be canceled due to a lack of participation. Coral Breeze was very fair in that they allowed a change to a second choice with a generous discount.

Hi SLCBoys,

Can't wait to see your pictures... If we take a tour through CB Tours can we just go to the beach or do we have to snorkel at the reef? What was the shopping like at caulker caye? Was the beach nice and were there beach loungers and did they cost money? Thanks