What type of eye protection do you wear when riding Waverunners?

CruiseDiva0319

Our group is doing the Waverunner/Stingray excursion. To avoid saltwater in our eyes, we all want to have eye protection. Some of us are just going to wear sunglasses with a strap, some want to buy goggles. However, I would think those snorkel goggles would be hard to see with when you are ridding. What does everyone use, and what type of goggles do you recommend? Where is the best place to buy them? I looked at Walmart, and they don't have goggles yet here in Ohio, and we are cruising the first week of April.

It's hard to say because you never know how the seas will be. When we were there, the seas were so rough, we couldn't have gone without our masks. It was crazy! Fortunately we had our snorkel masks with us and we just wore those. Do you already have snorkel masks? Are you going to be bringing them anyway? If so, just use them. You might have calm seas. The last review I just read said they wore their sunglasses and it was fine. The day we went, even sunglasses with the band would not have stayed on. We were literally getting buried under some of the waves. We'd ride on top of a few then we'd hit one that would crash over us. We used to have a jetski, so I'm used to them but I had never been on one getting buried like we did. It was great fun though! Bottom line, I would bring my snorkel mask and go from there.

We just returned from the jetski tour at Grand Cayman, and i brought some swim snorkles which i purchased very cheep at http://www.swomoutlet.com. They worked fine, but I would guess snorkeling masks would work fine also. Have a blast, and you don't have to get alot of salt water in your face. If the seas are calm, you will rarely get the water in you face.

We did jet skies once on Cozumel and my prescription glasses flew right off when we hit a wake. I now use a strap that holds the ear pieces in place behind the head. DH wears his prescription sunglasses. We've found that most jet skies are altered so that can not go over a certain MPH for the safety of the rider. That is a good thing. We never felt the need to wear goggles or masks. Sunglasses work fine to keep water sprays from hitting the eyes.

We did this tour last week. My family of four all used sun glasses and they worked fine, no problem. We all wear contact lens and the sun glasses worked great. no need for goggles.

Sorry to sound disagreeable but it all depends on the water conditions when you are there. The water was so choppy we couldn't have done the waverunners without the goggles on. Like I mentioned before, we owned a jetski for many years. My husband also used to race motocross professionally, so it's not a matter of being able to handle them. I would bring the goggles just in case. If the water is calm and you don't need them - great! But this way at least you'll have them should you need them.

Thanks everyone. We do not have snorkel masks. Some in our group want to buy them, but they are not selling them in the stores yet. I will check out the website. I was just going to wear my sunglasses, but maybe I will take the masks just in case.

We did this trip last week. It was a little windy and the water was choppy. You're crossing a lot of open water to get to stingray city.

We had sunglasses, but later wished we had brought our snorkel goggles. With the choppy seas, there was a lot of spray, and at times, the jet ski would nose into a wave and send a torrent of water up your nose and into your face.

If you're wearing glasses (sun or prescription) that you absolutely don't want to lose, a strap is mandatory. They will wash off if the seas are choppy.

The rear passenger gets the worst beating on the ride. Much better to be in the driver's seat. For that reason, my wife and I determined that if we were to do it again, we'd each get our own jet ski. We took turns driving and both agreed that the back seat wasn't the place to be.

We booked this trip through Island Marketing and can't recommend them enough. Our guide was a George Washington University educated mechanical engineer who decided running this venture would be more fun than working for the port authority. He was great. And the trip was a blast. Much more time with the stingrays in a smaller group than if we had booked an excursion with the cruise line.

I'm definitely going to agree with RIGirl. We did this FANTASTIC excursion 4 days ago. It was windy and the water was VERY choppy. We brought goggles and good thing we did because they were a necessity! The tour guide told me we should have spread toothpaste on the goggles to prevent fogging. This was a fun, fun, fun excursion. If the waters are rough, this excursion is not for the young or old (just middle age like me : ) haha!) No, really, if the water is choppy, the person/persons on the waverunner need to be able to handle getting bounced around a good bit. I was a rider and at times, I was in the air more than on the seat of the waverunner. Oh, and speaking from experience, don't chew gum, it will just turn into salt gum : )

Archived