Our driving/beach itinerary - please help!!

mysparky

This is our first time to the island and I could use some help. Rather than go on any excursions we (me, DH, DS11 and DD8) have decided that we'd like to check out a few beaches (we're definitely not into shopping so I've left that off of this trip's itinerary).

Here's what we're thinking, but I have no sense as to whether or not the driving timeframes I have listed are feasible. Any expertise/comments is welcomed and appreciated!!

8:00 - 8:30: Pickup rental car at pier

8:30 - 9:00: Drive to Butterfly Farm

9:00 - 10:15: Butterfly Farm

10:15 - 10:45: Drive to parking (Cul de Sac) for Pinel Island

11:00ish - Ferry to Island

2:00 - Ferry from island

2:00 - 2:30: Drive to Maho Beach

2:30 - 3:30: Maho Beach

3:30 - 4:30: Drive back to port

That's a very idealistic schedule, all contingent on the ferry. That ferry operates on Island Time, meaning it goes when it feels like it. Miss the outbound boat and you add 30 minutes on the schedule. The return will take about 15 minutes before you're moving the car out of the lot. 30 minutes thru Marigot could very easily end up being 45-60 minutes.

I see you will be going to Maho Beach for an Hour. I was there for only an hour last cruise and was Dissappointed I didn't go earlier. So this next cruise I plan on getting there at least by 11 and leaving around 4.

Those Big Jets Land in the Afternoon 12 - 2 from what I have heard.

good Luck and have fun.

the ferries to Pinel run regularly.. they are not on island time.. they run back

and forth all day. They do wait until the boats are filled up though before they depart.

However, right now they are on strike....

also be aware that the traffic from maho to the docks can be very hectic and jammed up at certain times of the day.

and make sure you miss the bridge openings which really back things up.

the ferries to Pinel run regularly.. they are not on island time.. they run back

and forth all day. They do wait until the boats are filled up though before they depart.

However, right now they are on strike....

also be aware that the traffic from maho to the docks can be very hectic and jammed up at certain times of the day.

and make sure you miss the bridge openings which really back things up.

...They do wait until the boats are filled up though before they depart....

Like I say, you cannot count on the ferry departing at a precise time. I have seen many situations where the ferry is way off schedule with no attempt to even stay on a meaningful schedule.

Archived