Weather on the Gulf

bear_dog

We are leaving on the Grand out of Galveston on March 24th....anybody know what to expect from the weather on the first 2 days at sea??? I'm sure once we are south it will be nothing but shorts and flip flops...but I am worried about that 1St couple of days cruising across the Gulf might be chilly!

We are leaving on the Grand out of Galveston on March 24th....anybody know what to expect from the weather on the first 2 days at sea??? I'm sure once we are south it will be nothing but shorts and flip flops...but I am worried about that 1St couple of days cruising across the Gulf might be chilly!

It could be anywhere from 45 -80 on the day you leave. This time of year the weather changes rapidly down here and really depends on which way the wind blows. When we cruised a couple of years ago in late February it was definitely jeans and jacket weather for the sail away. The next day was cool and we spent it in the atrium area around the covered pool (Rhapsody of the Sea). By afternoon of sea day it began to warm up. Same thing happened in reverse coming home -- late afternoon of sea day began to cool off and was chilly the next morning.

Texas weather at this time of the year can change very quickly, 80 degrees in the morning and by noon its 45. I would allow 24hr. of steaming time to reach a warmer climate.

The water temp in the close inshore water is 52 and that is what will make it chiily to cold on deck early AM or at night. Come prepared with a jacket or coat.

Texas weather at this time of the year can change very quickly, 80 degrees in the morning and by noon its 45. I would allow 24hr. of steaming time to reach a warmer climate.

The water temp in the close inshore water is 52 and that is what will make it chiily to cold on deck early AM or at night. Come prepared with a jacket or coat.

Bingo! This time of year if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. It's bound to change!:rolleyes:

Hi there,

I just returned last week from the Grand and despite 1 iffy sea day and other yucky sea day weather wise we had such a great time!!! The ports are all beautiful IMO, there is lots to do on the ship and the staff is just wonderfully attentive. Once you get south the weather is at least 82 degrees and sunny.

I have visited Texas in March many times and it is usuallly warm and sunny (low 70s) unlike Feb. However, I would be prepared with pants, a long sleeved shirt and a fleece just in case you get a cool front because it is quite a bit cooler at sea. It was darn chilly our last day on the boat. (But very relaxing actually...) I checked the 10 day forecast a few days before I left and it was very helpful to us.

ENJOY!!!

Archived