TravelGuard not covering for financial default

Guest nhrich

I'm glad the misunderstanding between TravelGuard & Oceania was resolved so quickly. But can anyone provide a link to where this is addressed in writing?

Crystal - 6/11/04 Harmony to Alaska

Celebrity (6)

NCL (5)

Princess (4)

Disney (2)

Royal Caribbean (2)

HAL (1)

wow

WOW!!! I HAVE BEEN "LURKING" ON THESE BOARDS FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW AS WE WERE GIVING SERIOUS CONSIDERATION TO THE DEC. INSIGNIA SAILING TO THE ANTARTIC AND I WANTED TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH. NOW, AFTER READING MR. DEL RIO'S BIT OF NASTYNESS, I SHALL LEAVE YOU ALL AND LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR THIS TRIP. IF THE CEO OF A SERVICE INDUSTRY COMPANY REACTS TO PAX CONCERN AS A PERSONAL AFFRONT AND ASKS THEM TO STAY AWAY, I WILL DO JUST THAT. THIS "LITTLE KID" JUST PICKED UP HIS BALL AND LEFT THE GAME. I'LL FIND ANOTHER GAME. SEE YA.

MARIANNE AND NORM

WHO CAN'T WAIT TO BOARD THE ROTTERDAM ON 7/10/2004

We just returned from our 4th Oceania Cruise and are very surprised by all this negativity! Obviously we think the cruise line is fabulous (we've gone four times, haven't we?) and have some remarks: Yes, it's Renaissance, but even better. The food is as good as Crystal, as well as the service - it couldn't be better. But, if you are looking for perfection from everyone, everywhere - it may not exist! If you took exception to a comment of Frank Del Rio's and refuse to travel Oceania, you're "shooting yourself in the foot" because you'll truly be missing a remarkable travel experience. And, if you don't find Frank to be perfect...do you know someone who is?

Is everyone sure that Frank26 is for sure Frank Del Rio one of the owners of Oceania? I can believe an executive in his postiton could get to where he is and make a statement like I have just read. It sounds to me like the person that typed that statement was what we call in sea talk "3 Sheets to the Wind" It takes a lot of smarts to get to the head of any company and this guy has done it more than once. No Corp head in their right mind would ever make a statement like that to the general public. You only make statements like that when you are in heated private meetings with the other top guys.

These are just my own thoughts but I can tell you I am SHOCKED. If this guy is who he say he is, he will probably be looking for another position in the near future or a least stop reading these boards. Betty Ford Clinic?

Tom

Tom

"Three sheets to the wind"? "Betty Ford Clinic"? Anybody who makes such comments on a public forum is cruising for a bruising--in court, if not in person.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Frank26 reinforces our feeling about how Oceania management thinks. We sailed recently on Regatta. The general staff were quite accomodating, but as you moved up the ranks and had to deal with management, particularly the General Manager level, the attitude became very confrontational. There was a definite "we don't care" or "take it or leave it" attitude that we have never experienced on cruise ships before.

We were shocked, and our cruise ruined, by the cavalier way management cast aside valid concerns.

I am sure there were many who enjoyed the cruise, but we met many fellow passengers who, like us, were very dissapointed and would not sail Oceania again. Frank26 should not cast away potential customers with his comments - the honeymoon may be over sooner than he thinks.

Personally I believe Frank26's remarks were those of an impassioned CEO who cares deeply about his company and how it is perceived. I, for one, would rather sail with him than with an anonymous head who does not involve himself with the minutiae.

For what it is worth our family found ALL of the personnel on our cruise, executive or in the trenches, to be extremely helpful, going far beyond the expected.

Beatrice

That is what this is a Public forum. Where anyone can pick the name they choose and be anyone they want. This is the statement I wanted to make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goeurope:

"Three sheets to the wind"? "Betty Ford Clinic"? Anybody who makes such comments on a public forum is cruising for a bruising--in court, if not in person.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

@Frank26

Hello Frank DelRio

I've just booked the Insignia Cruis 08/17 from Barcelona to Venice. I am really convinced by your policy and your ships seem very attractive to me and my pertner (both 30 years old). Unless You're target group is older than we are, we believe it will be a wonderfull cruise.

But, and that's a big problem for me and for every german passenger: In Germany every tour operator has to cover financial default. It is his duty due to german law. I know, you are an American cruise line. But you even offer cruises in Germany and I am really concerned about the differences between Oceania and HAL, RCCL, Silversea, Seabourn, etc, etc. These cruise lines offer cruises for the German market and cover financial default due to German law (the German name of this insurance is "Sicherungsschein").

Well, dear Mr. DelRio - I've chosen this way to communicate with you, since I don't know your Email-address and I don't believe your representatives will put me through - can you offer a solution for this maior problem for Oceania and for every german guest you attract.

Please notify: If I would believe Oceania is going under the next four months I wouldn't have booked the cruise. But for German customers this seems like a slippery business. And I think you really really don't want to be put in this corner.

Sincerely Yours

Ernst

• 2 months later...

Your "I'd rather be lucky than smart" quote is a beauty - I agree.

How was your cruise on Oceania? My wife and I are thinking of the South American cruise in December. How old are most of the people onboard. My wife and I are in our early 40's and would prefer it if everyone isn't 60 or older.

Thank you,

Mike

I think Oceania officials deserve a great deal of credit for addressing this PR nightmare with such speed and professionalism. My wife and I am on the June 1,2004 cruise and our entire family is booked for the Dec. 21, 2004 holiday cruise both on Regatta. The last few days have been weird and a little unsettling, especially if you are following the message boards.

Cudos also to my TA who kept me informed from the minute Travel Guard sent it's notice. She also informed me when it was resolved. I always use Travelex and I always pay with a credit card. After reading all the emails posted here and elsewhere I truly believe in my favorite saying..."I'd rather be lucky than smart."

"My wife and I are in our early 40's and would prefer it if everyone isn't 60 or older."

Well, excuse us for living past our 'prime'! Perhaps when our ship goes to Antarctica in December they can put us off on an ice flow. We wouldn't want to get in the way of all the fun you young ones will have without us!

Archived