HELP New RCL Cruiser ????s

IQMOM

HELP! This is my first cruise & was a gift for me & my best friend. We sail next month on a 3day Majesty of Seas to Bahamas

#1 What time can we board ship? We have transfers incl. f/RCL

#2 Explain the beverage thing? Can we purchase unlimited soda? What about coffee?

#3 Excursions? Do we book onboard or find our own. Sources for own in Nassau & Coco Cao

#4 Prices for spa services?

#5 Cash or CC?

A MILLION THANKS FOR ANY HELP! ONLY A FEW WEEKS AWAY & SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

About unlimited beverages...the day you get on the ship, go to one of the bars and buy the sticker (it goes on your card key). It is for unlimited softdrinks (not coffee, sorry). However, you can only get the sticker the day you get on the ship.

About excursions...you can book them online through the RCCL website. Usually excursions go up about 6 months before. You pay for excursions when you book them, however, if you change your mind you can get a refund (there is a cutoff time for refunds...I can't remember...its something like a few days before). By booking early, you get the excursions that you want and you don't have to spend time on your cruise booking excursions. The tickets will arrive in your stateroom the day you embark.

About coffee...I haven't been on the Majesty but on other RCL ships, there is a coffee bar where you can get really good coffee, specialty coffees and water, for a cost.

I hope you have a really lovely cruise. Our first was 3-nights and we found it wasn't long enough...

:)

1. All the ships I have been on start boarding about 11:30.

2. You can purchase an unlimited soda card. I don't know the price; someone else will, though! Regular coffee is free

3. Coco Cay is a private port, so if you want to do an excursion, it will be with the ship. You can just use this as a beach day if you want. They will supply a barbecue lunch for all passengers.

If you go to the Forum Jump at the bottom of this page, then to Ports of Call, you will find more info on Nassau.

4. Don't know. I just know that they aren't cheap.

5. Credit card is what we use. Makes it easier. You will need some cash in Nassau if you do anything on your own. The straw market just adjacent to the pier, and you can find a lot of things to buy there. Just keep your cash close to your body, as the market is crowded.

Congrats on getting such a great gift!

On the cash or cc question, I have an addition. What about travellers checks?

We travel a lot and haven't used travelers checks in a very long time, especially when traveling to the Bahamas or the Caribbean. We take a reasonable amount of cash and a credit card. We keep the extra cash in the safe in our abin. Local vendors on CoCo Cay and in Nassau & Freeport only take cash, not travelers checks. The stores will gladly take your credit card.

On the cash or cc question, I have an addition. What about travellers checks?

The purser's desk will convert $US TC to cash at no charge but will charge a fee plus exchange rate to convert to local currency. They will also convert other currency TC to $US for a fee (3% I believe plus the exchange differance). In Caribbean, Mexico and Central America locals readily accept payment in $US but may not accept TC especially small vendors and in supermarkets. Also TC tend to be in larger amounts and you usually get change in local currency so you don't want to get $40 of local currency to buy a $10US souvenir with a $50 TC. Bring plenty of smaller $US bills.

Archived