Is Costa Maya safe?? (maya palms)

Liv2kruz

I am traveling with my daughter in April & Costa Maya is one of our ports. I have the Maya Palms resort reserved for our day there in Costa Maya. I have heard some wonderful reviews of the Maya Palms....my only concern is the long (30 minute) cab ride to get to this destination. Since it will only be the 2 of us ladies, should I be at all concerned about saftey issues en-route to this resort? I suppose I am a bit nervous that the Taxi driver understands exactly where we are going...and with the language barrier that does make me a bit nervous. After reading of the recent occurance attack of a cruise passenger private excursion van in costa rica, the thought of just the 2 of us traveling makes me a bit unsure. Can anyone help me to reassure that this will be a safe port for us to travel out that far??

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. It was beautiful. While there was a group of us that went, I would have no problem going with just a friend. The taxi drivers were very nice and were waiting to pick us up at the pre-arranged time. Have a great time.

Sherry

My husband and I went diving with Maya Palms last week and found their hospitality to be outstanding.

The only tricky part is escaping the touristy area just outside the cruise ship port and finding the right set of cabs. For us, since we were diving, we were hauling a whole lot of gear so the walk felt like forever! Basically, you need to get outside of the shop area just off the dock. There will be a whole bunch of white cabs and vans. These are not the taxi's you need to catch to get to Maya Palms. Bear right and head out down the road. You should be able to see a bunch of yellow cabs about 200 meters? They were helpful, knew just where to go. The cab ride was $20 each way and you pay after you get back to the port. It was a really interesting ride and we never felt unsafe. It was a beautiful day and the country is really undeveloped and refreshing. When we arrived at the resort, the driver honked the horn and we were greeted by the owners, who helped us communicate when the driver needed to return to pick us up. I was told that the drivers like to make the run out to Maya Palms because it is pretty profitable for them as the other shorter runs are only $2-3 fares.

The resort was very clean, all the water is reverse osmosis and safe. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We paid $10 for lunch and $10 for all we could drink. We were diving, so we did not have alcohol, but I had some nice fruity tropical frozen non-alcoholic drinks. The pool was very nice as well. I only wish we could have spent more time there.

Our cab came right at the scheduled time, we tipped him more because he waited a few minutes for us because were not quite ready when he got there. Our driver was able to drop us off right at the port, which was great because I was over lugging all my stuff by that point. It did take just about 25 minutes to make the trip.

I highly endorse this excursion, absolutely one of my favorites.

My husband and I went diving with Maya Palms last week and found their hospitality to be outstanding.

The only tricky part is escaping the touristy area just outside the cruise ship port and finding the right set of cabs. For us, since we were diving, we were hauling a whole lot of gear so the walk felt like forever! Basically, you need to get outside of the shop area just off the dock. There will be a whole bunch of white cabs and vans. These are not the taxi's you need to catch to get to Maya Palms. Bear right and head out down the road. You should be able to see a bunch of yellow cabs about 200 meters? They were helpful, knew just where to go. The cab ride was $20 each way and you pay after you get back to the port. It was a really interesting ride and we never felt unsafe. It was a beautiful day and the country is really undeveloped and refreshing. When we arrived at the resort, the driver honked the horn and we were greeted by the owners, who helped us communicate when the driver needed to return to pick us up. I was told that the drivers like to make the run out to Maya Palms because it is pretty profitable for them as the other shorter runs are only $2-3 fares.

The resort was very clean, all the water is reverse osmosis and safe. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We paid $10 for lunch and $10 for all we could drink. We were diving, so we did not have alcohol, but I had some nice fruity tropical frozen non-alcoholic drinks. The pool was very nice as well. I only wish we could have spent more time there.

Our cab came right at the scheduled time, we tipped him more because he waited a few minutes for us because were not quite ready when he got there. Our driver was able to drop us off right at the port, which was great because I was over lugging all my stuff by that point. It did take just about 25 minutes to make the trip.

I highly endorse this excursion, absolutely one of my favorites.

Do you have any photos of the area there?

Archived