St Martin first timer

gramgill

we are visiting here next year our first time, what should we do is there much shopping do we tender and if not does the ship dock close to town centre or should we organise an excursion? any help or advice appreciated

we are visiting here next year our first time, what should we do
My personal recommendation is the America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge. It was the best ship excursion I have ever been on.
is there much shopping do we tender and if not does the ship dock close to town centre or should we organise an excursion?

• You should dock
  • There is a lot of shopping there
  • There is a water taxi right by the ship that will take you all around for $5 for all day
  • It is only a 20 minute walk to town, so if you can, by-pass the water taxi
  • St. Maarten tip - Ask a local where the grocery store Afoo Extra is. It is about 3 streets back from the Guavaberry Emporium. They have AWESOME Dutch Gouda cheese, in the wheel, for about $3 per pound. Great for on the ship eating or buy a whole wheel and take it home. It keeps as long as it doesn't get too hot.

thank you, I had heard a lot about Philipsburg, St. Maarten isnt it half dutch and half french? if its around 20 minute walk to main shops we will enjoy that walk providing that we find them.

Concerning the Gouda cheese - can you bring it through USA customas if the red rind has already been cut and part of the cheese eaten? Or, can you only bring in 'whole' wheels of cheese? Thanks for your help!

That is a good question. We answered our customs form honsetly and said that we did indeed have food. We were taken aside for literally 15 seconds. He asked us what we had, I said a wheel of cheese, he smiled and let us on our way. We may have been lucky, but that is what happened.

Make sure that if you cut the wax, you keep the cheese refridgerated. Otherwise, it will go bad. The wax keeps it sealed and fresh even at room temperature.

No, they do not deliver it. It is just a grocery store like Winn Dixie, Kroger or Walmart. However, if you make it one of your first stops, you can just go back on the water taxi to the ship, put it in your fridge, and then return to hit the island.

I can tell you that the cheese was out of this world. I wish I could have bought more!

we are visiting here next year our first time, what should we do is there much shopping do we tender and if not does the ship dock close to town centre or should we organise an excursion? any help or advice appreciated

Depends on how active you want to be. There is plenty of shopping. There is a beach right at the water taxi stop. On the beach you can rent chairs, jet skis, trampolines etc. They will bring you drinks right to the chairs. It is a lot of fun. We then returned to the ship to shower, change and have lunch and went back and did the shopping. If you haggle you can get the chairs, jet ski and water tramp for $45.00.

we will be going to st maarten in october and are thinking about booking a horseback ride with bayside riding club has anyone heard about them? How far is it from the dock? Is it possible to rent a taxi for the entire day instead of renting a car? Thanks for all your help!!! Judy

Its hard to explain, but you will understand once you are there. There are shops and such at the actual pier where the ships dock. Downtown is a short distance away. You would have to walk about 10 minutes or so to get there or you can get the water taxi which leaves right from the pier and for $5.00 you can use it all day as much as you want (you get a wristband). Once you arrive to where the water taxi will leave you you are in "downtown". The beach is there, as well as all the main shops, jewelry stores, vendors, etc. The shopping by the actual ships is more like bars and convenience store and a liquor store.

Howl ong is the water taxi ride? What if you want to go to Orient beach from town, are there a lot of taxis leaving from town to Orient or would it be better to take the water taxi back to the pier and then takea taxi to the beach? Which would be cheaper? Thanks!

water taxi ride is about 5 mins maybe. Sometimes you may have to stop at a little dock between the pier and the main area. No big deal. I believe there are taxis from both points, but I know there are plenty available at the main street area. I doubt there is much if any cost difference to go to Orient from either place.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's my really stupid question for the day (#1) - :rolleyes:

The ships dock on the Dutch side of the island, right? You take the water taxi into Phillipsburg. Now... to get to the French side you take a taxi? Or would it be better to take a tour? What is on the French side that I shouldn't miss? Is the shopping better/the same over there?

Thanks in advance for any info!

TinaLee

I would take a taxi to the French side. Tours would be much more expensive. There's a vendors market there with inexpensive things. You might enjoy having lunch in one of the little restaurants. I like the shopping much better on the Dutch side. Lots and Lots of jewelry stores!!! And the prices are much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived