Dining Rules

long_shot45

I just returned from 5 wonderful days on the Ecstasy. For three weeks before I left i read the do's and don't's of dining attire. I have a good solution for the whole mess. Carnival makes the policy on dining room attire, therefore they should enforce it. Some people just don't think rules are for them. Only others. I really don't care which way they go. But don't have a rule that says you have a formal night for all except a few. On the cruise that I just returned from, I saw a man in shorts, several ladies in jeans and a lot of men with no ties much less coats. And thats ok..... It was their vacation. Just change the rule so that I don't have to pack a suit and tie or risk being turned away. Carnival, CHANGE THE RULE or ENFORCE IT.

Does it actually say that it is required or just recommended? I started out on our first cruise with a tuxedo...now, I have toned it down a bit. You said it...it's your vacation. Enjoy it and don't worry about how other people dress. Just enjoy your vacation and relax!

Does it actually say that it is required or just recommended? I started out on our first cruise with a tuxedo...now, I have toned it down a bit. You said it...it's your vacation. Enjoy it and don't worry about how other people dress. Just enjoy your vacation and relax!

I could careless, I like to get dressed up, yet it doesnt bother me if other dont.

From the Carnival website

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I think the cruise lines like the formal nights to sell more pictures...pure and simple...it all comes down to money. I think too, it is a generational thing. The older generation definitely likes to dress up much more than the younger generation. We see that at church, work, restaurants, etc. It's vacation...relax and enjoy yourselves. I wear a suit, but no tux. We do it to get a formal picture at least once every few years...

Hey, who could stiff stiff the Maitre d' for a small thing like that. everything else was great. No, I think the guys that make the big bucks at carnival should make this call and stand behind it.....

It is the Maitre'd that is supposed the inforce the rule, that is one of his jobs.

They have been told by the "guys that make the big bucks" and it is their choice to enforce it or not.

I have seen it not be inforced at all and i have seen the Maitre'd not let people in the dining room because they had jeans on.

I think the cruise lines like the formal nights to sell more pictures...pure and simple...it all comes down to money. I think too, it is a generational thing. The older generation definitely likes to dress up much more than the younger generation. We see that at church, work, restaurants, etc. It's vacation...relax and enjoy yourselves. I wear a suit, but no tux. We do it to get a formal picture at least once every few years...

Hey VetteTrip this is off subject. how do you like your corvette? I have a 2006 coupe victory red. Lovin it!!

I just had this conversation with my wife. I told her i needed to get to the dry cleaners for my suits. She told me to not bring one and just wear a nice button up of mine. I told her that it said coat and tie. So i will be following the "rules" but i like to dress up seeing i dont get to do it much working construction. Not that i will be looking either for people in jeans or polo shirts. I will be looking at the menu :D

I think too, it is a generational thing. The older generation definitely likes to dress up much more than the younger generation. We see that at church, work, restaurants, etc.

I am young, and I LOVE to dress up especially at church and go to eat dinner. Of course, I have a very traditional family. LOL. ;)

I read over my welcome aboard pamphlet, specifically the "clothes to bring " section...it doesn't mention anything about blue jeans. I have a nice denim skirt I plan to wear, and "dressy" jeans...I don't think I'm breaking the rules if I wear them to dinner am I? I don't want to lug them all the way across the country & then nt be able to wear them in the dining room...let me know please!

I happen to be real upset as to formal night on Carnival. We just returned from a one-week cruise. My husband wore his tux on formal night as he has been doing for our past 11 cruises. After this cruise, he will never take it again as he felt totally out of place and felt everyone was looking at him and laughing. There were jeans in the dining room and many men did not wear a jacket. Many did not wear ties. We saw a man in a tee shirt. We will hesitate next time to go on Carnival (this would never have happened on Celebrity). I agree with doing away with, or enforcing the rules!!!!

I happen to be real upset as to formal night on Carnival. We just returned from a one-week cruise. My husband wore his tux on formal night as he has been doing for our past 11 cruises. After this cruise, he will never take it again as he felt totally out of place and felt everyone was looking at him and laughing. There were jeans in the dining room and many men did not wear a jacket. Many did not wear ties. We saw a man in a tee shirt. We will hesitate next time to go on Carnival (this would never have happened on Celebrity). I agree with doing away with, or enforcing the rules!!!!

I don't think WalMart sells Tuxes.:rolleyes:

I am sadden by this also, I love it when my DH wears his tux. Because of all the post about the dumbing down of formal nights I'm thinking of not having him bring it on our next cruise!

On my Cruise on the Holiday last month the maitre d came by our table the first evening and introduced himself and invited everyone to the Formal night and said that if you did not have formal attire to come anyway! No coat and tie was required! I always dress for dinner anyway, but this was the first time they have came by the table and announced this.

After this cruise, he will never take it again as he felt totally out of place and felt everyone was looking at him and laughing.

I have long since stop caring what others think about me, when Im adhering to a certain set of rules or standards. Its truly a liberating thing, dont allow people to make you change what you enjoy doing.

On my Cruise on the Holiday last month the maitre d came by our table the first evening and introduced himself and invited everyone to the Formal night and said that if you did not have formal attire to come anyway! No coat and tie was required! I always dress for dinner anyway, but this was the first time they have came by the table and announced this.

:eek:

Never did the tux9I belong to a org that I have to wear one many times during the year), and have stopped doing the suit(which I wear too often during the year). On vacation I now wear resort casual, I don't feel out of place on formal nights. I have never been offended by what someone wears, well except for those guys in speedos.

Holiday 1992

SOS 1993

Norway ?

ROS 2003

VOS 2004

Victory 2005

Mircale 2006

Spirit 2007

Legend 7-1-07

Valor 1-20-08

Archived