Dining Rules

long_shot45

I think the cruise lines like the formal nights to sell more pictures...pure and simple...it all comes down to money. I think too, it is a generational thing. The older generation definitely likes to dress up much more than the younger generation. We see that at church, work, restaurants, etc. It's vacation...relax and enjoy yourselves. I wear a suit, but no tux. We do it to get a formal picture at least once every few years...

image.php?u=239439&type=sigpic&dateline=1170637521

I wore a coat and tie every night and the wife wore a dress every night on our Destiny cruise. Did it bother me when other people didn't wear "dress code appropriate" clothing in the dinng room? NO, We dressed up for ourselves. It makes US feel good and makes it a special occasion for US. I never even would have noticed how othr people were dressed if it hadn't been such a common topic on CC.

Not to get off subject but nice car.3.gif

DSCF1042.jpg

Save the Wave

Kurbanfan. The former May Dept Stores, now Macy's always segregated "jeans" from slacks and regular capris. I'm really not sure about capris made of denim fabric. Last time I was in Macy's, it's the same, although Macy's is changing alot about the former May stores, such as all associates on the floor having to dress in black beginning in May.

That's how it is at our Macy's, and all of our other Dept stores actually (Nordstroms, Saks, Belks, Dillards)... the denim capris (ladies) are in the denim dept with all the denim jeans, denim jackets, denim whatever... I've never seen denim capris just thrown in with the others... but I do know that it might not be the same in all parts of the country.

Believe me I'm not upset, just saying that people will be wearing jeans in the Dining Room so y do these same old threads about jeans being inappropiate keep coming up? It's never going to change soooooo y keep talking about it. :rolleyes:

Because it's Cruise Critic... where new members join all the time and they don't know all the "hot topics", it's a hot topic, it always has been, it always will be... it's not a big deal, no need to get worked up about it :D

I chose to dress up every night at dinner. That said, some of the outfits I have seen people allowed into Carnival dining rooms in were unreal (shorts, gross tshirts). This is why I never tip the maitre 'd on a Carnival cruise, it's his job to enforce the rules.

That's how it is at our Macy's, and all of our other Dept stores actually (Nordstroms, Saks, Belks, Dillards)... the denim capris (ladies) are in the denim dept with all the denim jeans, denim jackets, denim whatever... I've never seen denim capris just thrown in with the others... but I do know that it might not be the same in all parts of the country.

Well I guess it just depends on where ya live. Out here in South Orange County Calif. Our stores normally sell capris in the spring/summer seasons when all the shorts are out. At that time there is no jackets to be seen LOL! Good luck trying to find capris in the off season here. And normally the stores here are all segerated by brand names. So if I want to find anything in the Roxy brand it will be in all the same area....denim capris, cotton capris, denim shorts, cotton shorts, sundresses etc....

It's interesting though to see how it done in the other parts of the country...

Boy are we getting off the subject LOL!

Recently sailed the Ecstasy for the 4th time... Not one day did the Capers not allow jeans for dining room attire.

Formal night had "suggested attire" and we followed the suggestion.

The only thing required from the Capers was no shorts or tank tops.

A small number of people wore jeans most every night. I didn't see anyone in shorts.

In our experience since we started cruising as a family in 1986 I have seen less formal dress on cruises shorter than 7 days. The Ecstasy makes 4-5 day runs to Mexico from Galveston. The summer months usually means a less formal crowd.

When the Capers states Required Dress then scan them in and post them.

Don't have a scanner, but I will type this as written in the Caper on 2-11-07.

"Dress Codes

Bacchus Restaurant-Dk 2 & 3

Formal Nights-Monday & Friday: Elegant/Business attire.

Rest of the cruise-Smart/Casual attire.

Shorts and Tank Tops NOT allowed inside the restaurant."

Word for word. I hope this helps.

Don't have a scanner, but I will type this as written in the Caper on 2-11-07.

"Dress Codes

Bacchus Restaurant-Dk 2 & 3

Formal Nights-Monday & Friday: Elegant/Business attire.

Rest of the cruise-Smart/Casual attire.

Shorts and Tank Tops NOT allowed inside the restaurant."

Word for word. I hope this helps.

If you look up "dress codes" in the rules of etiquette, you will find that a dress code is to inform ones' guests as to the level of dress so that no guest will be embarrassed by over or undressing for the occasion. It is not actually, dress rules, altho it is expected and proper to dress according to the "dress code." But it does not mean "required."

Understand, I wear a tux on formal nites and have never even packed a pair of jeans for a cruise [too heavy]

Sadly, if ones' guest is not embarrassed by "breaking" the dress code, well they're just not.

NO Shorts, Tank Tops, ARE RULES and should be enforced and I wish "dress codes" were rules, but they are not.

Dan

Understand, I wear a tux on formal nites and have never even packed a pair of jeans for a cruise [too heavy]

Dan

Dan,

I wear a suit on formal nights and dress slacks and dress shirts on the other nights. I never have packed jeans and I don't think I ever will unless we plan on some Northern cruises. (Alaska, North Sea, Baltic Sea) They are to heavy and to hot in the Caribbean and Hawaii. Besides, I enjoy getting dressed up with my beautiful wife. She makes me look a lot better.:)

" But it does not mean "required."

NO Shorts, Tank Tops, ARE RULES and should be enforced and I wish "dress codes" were rules, but they are not.

Dan

When i read my pre cruise information on the website and in my docs, it does say "required" I have noticed that in some of the Capers is still says "suggested" but it has been changed on the other Carinval informations sites.

" Formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner."

Like i have said many times, i don't care if people wear jeans or capris in the dining room at night, but the "required" dress for formal night should be followed.

Well I have not read the website for a long while. If it now says "required" and the Capers say "required" and Carnival does not enforce it, then its doubly bad. If a rule is not going to be followed, get rid of it. A rule ignored is the start of contempt for all rules. Minimize the number of rules but enforce them.

Dan

Well I have not read the website for a long while. If it now says say "required" and Carnival does not enforce it, then its doubly bad. If a rule is not going to be followed, get rid of it. A rule ignored is the start of contempt for all rules. Minimize the number of rules but enforce them.

Dan

The thing that gets me is it is being inforced sometimes, but not always, either do it or don't.

On the Valor a few months ago, it was being inforced, but the next sailing it was not enforced.

Hi folks... Wow...this is a hot topic huh?

Heres my deal. I am quite fluffy, and I look like a dope in a dress... so for formal night I go with a skirt and blouse... is that acceptable to those of you that cringe at the casual crowd? I don't understand why people care what other's wear, but I don't like to upset anyone, especially when on vacation... I want everyone to be happy:)... My boyfriend will be in a suit on both formal nights (the same one.. ) and I will probably wear the same outfit both nights as well...

I do love to look at the others in the more formal attire... I just cant really see myself in it... but the food is much better in the dining rooms, so I will sacrifice a LITTLE bit of comfort to eat there...

Maybe carnival should have one formal dining room and one casual dining room... I think that would solve a lot of issues. I know where I would be!!!!

Maybe carnival should have one formal dining room and one casual dining room... I think that would solve a lot of issues. I know where I would be!!!!

Wouldn't be easy to do... What if 90% of the people wanted to dress formally, but the formal dining room was full? And vice versa... I guess I don't see why someone would even bother dressing formally if they didn't want to just in order to get the "lobster" and prime rib... it's really not THAT good, LOL. If I didn't want to get dressed up, I would just go grab a turkey sandwich at the deli :p Our last cruise, we only went to the dining room twice... it was HEAVEN. The food in the dining room is decent, but certainly not something I would go out of my way to get to... I enjoy the experience of dining with my friends FAR more than I enjoy the food... and there are so many other dining options available.

Archived