Beginner scuba what to expect

Almost Packed

I did the "resort" diving for years before finally deciding to get PADI certified at 52 years old. They will give you a verbal explanation of scuba diving which lasts about 30 minutes then you'll suit up and practice in a pool before going into the ocean or they'll take you straight into the shallow ocean. After getting comfortable in shallow water you'll do a dive for about 30 minutes down to about 30 ft. It's wonderful, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

If you like it get yourself certified like me and blow bubbles any time you like.

Good luck.

............and curiously it was at Coki Beach (probably my 5th or 6th resort dive) that I decided to get certified. It was a great place to learn the sport. My wife, having Asama could not partake in scuba but thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling there with the dried dog food, and yes she had all of the nail polish on her fingers bitten off by the fish. But she so enjoyed the experience, since then she has come to love snorkeling as she loves the "fishies".

The Coki people were wonderful. Since getting certified in 2004 I now have 25 dives under my belt and can think of nothing more relaxing and tranquil as diving. And yes the compressed air you breath is DRY, has no moisture and will dehydrate you. Thus you will notice that divers are careful of how much alcohol they drink the night before they dive and we tend to consume vast quantities of water prior to the dive and afterwards too.

As mentioned in the article, equalization of the ears is of utmost importance and the mastery of buoyancy with your BCD is an acquired skill. I always have trouble equalizing my right ear but the problem resolves itself after a few consecutive dives. The inner ear has a muscle and as one exercises the muscle (repetitive dives) it strengthens and equalization becomes much less of a problem. Although I'm a relatively newbie diver after 25 dives I am very comfortable in all aspects of the sport as far as the various certifications I've acquired. Try it and join the club and remember, when you're down there....look but don't touch. It's just a privilege to be there.

Whatever you do, dont equalize on the way up! This means if your ears feel uncomfortable, only hold your nose and gently blow as you descend... If on the way back up they feel uncomfortable, wait it out, descend and ascend, but never equalize! I overextended my ear drum the first time diving and it hurt for days!

My first dive was off of a boat...it was creepy holding onto the rope that was attached to the anchor at the bottom of the sea, and slowly climbing downwards...once down there it was the most awesome thing ever, and i fell in love with it- as i think most do =)

You will love it! My son (who is certified) wanted me to try diving so we did Discover Scuba in St Maarten back in '05. I was hooked. By the time we took our cruise in '06 I had been through classes and took the test at our local dive shop. Using the Universal Referral form, I did 'real dives' in St Thomas and Barbados to complete my certification. Happy Diving!

thanks everyone for their help. i can't wait. but i am a little concerned now about the ears. i did have a sinus infection, and it's gone now. about a month ago. but had some problems with my right ear. it felt "plugged" or like when it pops on a plane, but would not go back to norman no matter what i did. it seems much better now. sometimes when i swallow, it still feels a little akward. do you think this is a problem?

thanks...

thanks everyone for their help. i can't wait. but i am a little concerned now about the ears. i did have a sinus infection, and it's gone now. about a month ago. but had some problems with my right ear. it felt "plugged" or like when it pops on a plane, but would not go back to norman no matter what i did. it seems much better now. sometimes when i swallow, it still feels a little akward. do you think this is a problem?

thanks...

Have you seen a doctor about it? Sometimes during sinus infections you can build up some ear wax that is difficult to get out and moves around when swallowing.

When I did the resort thing at Coki Beach I too had some problems equalizing. After going up to about 15 feet and then slowly descending, problem went away.

You will love it,

Roger

Have you seen a doctor about it? Sometimes during sinus infections you can build up some ear wax that is difficult to get out and moves around when swallowing.

When I did the resort thing at Coki Beach I too had some problems equalizing. After going up to about 15 feet and then slowly descending, problem went away.

You will love it,

Roger

yes, i have seen my dr. he said it was only fluid. no infection, no need for alarm.

i'm glad to know about some tips.

thanks to everyone for your input. i can't wait!!!:D

We did our discover scuba in Nov 04 and fell in love with it. We came home and got certified. We since enjoyed diving numerous times at Cozumel and Roatan. It is one thing to float on the surface but it is entirely different to be down with them.

Dave

Archived