New to snorkelling

Mim Lloyd

This might sound like a stupid question but please bear with me!

We (sadly) finished our cruise last week. I snorkelled in St Lucia and it was brilliant except for one thing - I couldn't see properly! My mask had droplets of the water on glass and kept misting up. How do you stop that?

I use Rain-X on the inside & outside of my mask. If you don't have your own equipment, go to a dive shop and find the right size mask and fins. Then go to ebay to get your own stuff at good prices. You will pay about 1/3. Hauling around your own stuff is not hard and a dive bag will hold it all plus towels, cameras, etc.

do you have a mustach? if so that will cause a leak.....just if you own your mask, wash with toothpaste on the inside and rinse let air dry, that will get the film out and act as no fog.....then you may place no fog in the mask to solve your problem

you can get anti-fog products or, just spit in your mask and rub in on the lenses. Then scoop up some water in your mask and give a few shakes. This works for most folks to keep the mask fog free, and works well if you don't have anti-fog, or are cheap!

I'm assuming that I can't snorkel on my upcoming cruise since I wear glasses (and need at all times to see)? I wasn't sure if there were special masks that can be used for people with glasses. Anyway, I guess I could look into getting contacts before April if needed. Am I right about the glasses? Thanks!

You can actually buy snorkel masks with prescription lenses in them. They won't be EXACT, but will be pretty close. I went ahead and invested in this for myself and my two sons. We've used them twice and hope to use them again in June on our next cruise.

I'm sure the contact lenses will work, too, and might end up being cheaper in the long run. But, the prescription masks are excellent. Your local dive shop should be able to help you out. You can also order them online, but we liked actually trying them on at the dive store.

kcmom

Lol! If I had a moustache my husband would leave me!! :D

oops!!!!!! sorry i just read the posts........yes kcmom is right just take your perscription in to a dive shop and they will order a mask with your exact script in it smileystooges.gif

Re: drops of water in mask

Pretreating your mask is important and will help. After you've been in the water for a while though, you may get some water in your mask. This is normal and will not detract from your viewing. I've even used the bit of water inside to clear fogging. If the water is excessive, clear the mask, otherwise keep it sealed and keep right on snorkeling. Yes the water pools about your nose but you're breathing through your mouth anyway.

Archived