Port Evergades locals:Best place to see cruise ships leave?

big al

Hi folks-Today my wife & I went by the Pt.Everglades cruise port and saw SEVEN ships docked..it was great...being from the West Palm area,I always can see the ships as I cross over the 17th st.causeway....

A few months ago,after the bridge,I made a right next to that Hess gas station and went into that resedential area to see if we could see the cruise ships better..there are a few empty lots but they are roped off and then I noticed across the harbor I could see another area near the ports that looked like I could get a better view of the ships leaving between 4 and 6 PM.....does anybody know where I can go (with directions,please) to see the P.E. ships leave? Miami is easy,you just ride along I-395 and follow them out to see.......

I've been to Beach Place,where at some of the 3rd floor bars,you can see some ships leave but you are so far away.....any ideas would be great.....

Big Al

How is the view from John U Lloyd state park?

It's the best view around, you can practically touch the ships as they pass by when they depart in the afternoon/early evening. You wouldn't be able to watch the ships arrive though, parks not open that early. ;)

It's the best view around, you can practically touch the ships as they pass by when they depart in the afternoon/early evening. You wouldn't be able to watch the ships arrive though, parks not open that early. ;)

Bequia-How do you get to John U Lloyd state park from I-95? If we go around 3-4 PM can we sit anywhere,eat and watch the ships leave??

Big Al

Bequia-How do you get to John U Lloyd state park from I-95? If we go around 3-4 PM can we sit anywhere,eat and watch the ships leave??

Big Al

Big Al, Getting to the park is a piece of cake. Not sure where on i-95 your coming from so I'll give you the easiest route:

I-95 to Griffin Road East

East on Griffin Road to Federal Highway (US1)

Turn right (south) onto Federal Highway

Turn Left onto E Dania Beach Blvd

Follow Dania Beach Blvd to the end

Bear right into the park.

Here's a map with the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Port+Everglades+Junction,+Florida&daddr=6503+N.+Ocean+Drive,+Dania,+Florida+33004&f=l&hl=en&sll=26.0783,-80.17027&sspn=0.105154,0.21595&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=26.068271,-80.139771&spn=0.052582,0.079823&om=1

Here's a link to the parks web site:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/

If after visiting the park you don't feel that was the best place to view the ships departing drop a line on this thread. (Be sure to walk out on the channel jetty to watch) ;)

Big Al, Getting to the park is a piece of cake. Not sure where on i-95 your coming from so I'll give you the easiest route:

I-95 to Griffin Road East

East on Griffin Road to Federal Highway (US1)

Turn right (south) onto Federal Highway

Turn Left onto E Dania Beach Blvd

Follow Dania Beach Blvd to the end

Bear right into the park.

Here's a map with the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Port+Everglades+Junction,+Florida&daddr=6503+N.+Ocean+Drive,+Dania,+Florida+33004&f=l&hl=en&sll=26.0783,-80.17027&sspn=0.105154,0.21595&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=26.068271,-80.139771&spn=0.052582,0.079823&om=1

Here's a link to the parks web site:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/

If after visiting the park you don't feel that was the best place to view the ships departing drop a line on this thread. (Be sure to walk out on the channel jetty to watch) ;)

Bequia-Great !!! Thanks so much..BTW,I would be coming from the North,West Palm area...once I'm into the park,any suggestions on where to go for the BEST view of the ships? Should we bring chairs or are there benches and tables there (to eat?)

Big Al

Bequia-Great !!! Thanks so much..BTW,I would be coming from the North,West Palm area...once I'm into the park,any suggestions on where to go for the BEST view of the ships? Should we bring chairs or are there benches and tables there (to eat?)

Big Al

Big Al, If you look at the link to the map I posted for you you'll notice a section labeled "US Navy Reservation". Well, the map is misleading, the park goes right up to the channel, it's not part of the Navy property. Better yet, open the map and switch to "satelitte mode" and zoom in, you'll notice a long jetty, that's what you walk out on to see the ships at 4,5 and 6pm. There are picnic tables, benches etc to eat. Bring your fishing rod, it's a great place to fish. ;)

Hi Bequin,

I was wondering if it would be possible to walk to John U. Lloyd State Park from Sleep Inns and Suites in Dania? :)

I like to walk myself but from the Sleep Inn to the park it's a bit much for me. Check with your hotel desk, there may be a city bus that runs that way. You can try it though, at the very least you should check out the beach east of your hotel any way. Even if you can't make it to the park, the beach gives you a great vantage point as well.

• 2 years later...

Will be staying in one of the hotels on the 17th St. causeway. No rental car. What would be the best way to get to John U Lloyd State Park to be able to see the ships leave?

• 1 year later...

How long of a walk is it from the parking to the jetty-channel to see the ships depart? Can you give me the best route once parked? Dont want to go on private property. Also, any suggestions for dinner in the area? we were originally looking for a place to go eat and see the ships but couldnt find anywhere so were gonna check this place out. thanks in advance!

Archived