suggestions for 30th anniversary

ramrax4

We went on RCI Radiance of the Seas roundtrip from vancouver to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican. We really like Carnival but in 2003 the Spirit was doing a Wed to Wed in Alaska and that did not work for us. Not sure if it still does Wed to Wed. We did like RCI although have gone back to Carnival. We are in the west also and will be doing Mexico for the third time at the end of March. We did Mexico at the very end of May in 2005 and end of Sept in 1999. It was very very hot and humid in the ports then altho Sea days were cooler. The entire Alsask trip was awesome.

We really liked the ports and the fact pretty much every day at sea you could see unbelievable scenery. I did a helicopter ride to a glacier - could not talk dh into it but now he wishes he had done it.

If you want more information on Alaska let me know.

We went on RCI Radiance of the Seas roundtrip from vancouver to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican. We really like Carnival but in 2003 the Spirit was doing a Wed to Wed in Alaska and that did not work for us. Not sure if it still does Wed to Wed. We did like RCI although have gone back to Carnival. We are in the west also and will be doing Mexico for the third time at the end of March. We did Mexico at the very end of May in 2005 and end of Sept in 1999. It was very very hot and humid in the ports then altho Sea days were cooler. The entire Alsask trip was awesome.

We really liked the ports and the fact pretty much every day at sea you could see unbelievable scenery. I did a helicopter ride to a glacier - could not talk dh into it but now he wishes he had done it.

If you want more information on Alaska let me know.

Katt,

Would love to hear more. Did u have an inside or balcony? What was you're favorite excursion, how was the the weather?

Thanks, Robin

Robin

I am happy to give you more info. We had a balcony. Even though it was too cool to sit out and sun I am so glad we did it on that trip. There is so much to see and it is not always convenient to run up and outside, nor do you get the full scope through a window. Numerous times while I was getting ready in the morning or for dinner, I would slip out in my robe and just be in awe of the mountains and especially all of the waterfalls. Probably would have missed that if I had to throw on clothes and go out. Going through the inside passage was so neat. In places it felt so narrow and you just did not know where to look first. During that period out on deck was best viewing.

Juneau - Did some unusual things here due to the fact my brother who lives in Anchorage flew down to Juneau to meet us. He has to go to Juneau fairly regularly on business so was pretty familiar. He met us on the dock and had rented a car. We went to a huge grocery/discount type store (Fred Myers? maybe) because dh somehow forgot his blood pressure meds. We were able to call the dr from there and get a prescription filled. Not what I would recommend making a special trip but it was fun to walk around and see different things. We went to Mendenhall Glacier - I would highly recommend doing that. You can get closer than I thought it is massive and the visitor center was very informative - also saw a porcupine in the bushes there. We drove to a place called I think The Shrine of St. Theresa. It is a very very small stone church built on beautiful grounds at the tip of a penninsula. It was so peaceful and very scenic. I have some great pictures. We drove around and came across fields of flowers near the ocean again great pictures, went past the governors mansion (just a big house LOL) found an old wooden dam and an old gold mine that was being restored. Not all your usual touristy things but really gave us a feel of the place.

Skagway - We did the White Pass Railroad thing. I personally would not do it again but dh loved it he is really into trains. It is interesting and very historic but a bit long for me - did a big no no in dh's book - fell asleep on the way back :). This is where I did the helicopter ride to a Glacier. Dh would not go and I decided I really really wanted to do that. I got very lucky. Our ship was berthed right next to one of the helicopter companies (Temsco ? I think). I just walked in and asked if they had a vacancy. It was worth every penny. I am very prone to motion sickness but this did not bother me one bit. DH sat on our balcony and watchecd the copters take off - that alone was pretty cool. The town itself had some interesting shops. I am a quilter and found a tiny quilt shop just a block or two from downtown on the second floor of an old house.

Ketchikan - We really did not do anything here but walk around in town - I am not sure why we didn't except if I remember a lot of the excursions involved small boats and I don't do well on those, but did enjoy the town. They had some beautiful hanging flowers all over. Oh and found another quilt shop!! We were going to go to the lumber jack show but got the times wrong and just missed it. It is easy walking distance from the ship. Did see a lot of Eagles right from the ship here.

The weather was not as cold as I anticipated. Juneau was the coldest port aside for the time we spent cruising by a glacier. In Juneau it was drizzly when we docked - had to tender there too many other ships and they take turns docking at least they did in 2003. As the day progressed just peeled off layers. I think I had a t shirt, turtle neck and seatshirt on. Living in the west don't need a lot of heavy warm clothes. By the time we got back to the ship it was warmer but had started to drizzle. This was the best time to get in the hot tub! It was an adventure - I was the only one in it as we left Juneau in the drizzle!! Still makes me smile. Skagway was very pleasant not hot think I just had a turtle neck on. In Ketchikan - it was HOT. I think it got to 75 which is not warm here but felt really hot there. I had on jeans and a tshirt and wished I had worn shorts. We went the last week of May before prices changed due to high season. You do miss a few things like seeing the salmon in the streams in Ketchican but it was a big price diff for us.

I hope this helps if you have other questions just ask.

Kathy

Archived