Help with Military Rate

gvg01

I have booked an upcoming cruise with the military rate but today I have noticed a lower military rate at another site. I called my PVP and had to leave a message asking her if she would match that rate by giving me an OBC since I have paid my cruise already. My question is if she says she can't, can I talk to another PVP who may honor it or am I stuck with the price I paid. This is the first time I have used her and she has been very nice and helpful so I am hoping when she returns the call, she will honor. However, if she doesn't, I would like to know my options. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks......

You should be able to receive an OBC or an upgrade due to the price drop. If your PVP does not honor the drop, ask to speak to a supervisor. I always give the "don't you honor your vets/military personnel" sob story, if regular methods don't work. Typically though, getting a supervisor will do the trick.

Are you sure that the new Military rate included all the taxes,fees and port charges because the Carnival Military rate is a set amount on each cruise . It can go down but that would be available through Carnival. Our travel agent always rebated part of his commision to us but when we started using the Military discount he said that he is not allowed to discount the military rate at all. So you should check the final cost of both and if you find that there is a difference you could cancel the first booking and rebook but only if you are not past final payment.You would also have to put down new deposits or wait for your refund. We did this once and it took about 2 weeks to get the first deposits back. I know the large online cruise agency I look for military prices on doesn't add the taxes and fees until after you select the cabin category. Good Luck! Cindy

My PVP just called me back and not only did she honor it, she beat it and gave me an OBC!!!!! I am so excited...... I booked thru a PVP with Carnival-not an agency and I didn't want a refund-just on board credit. Believe me, I'll spend it-just ask my husband. I'm really good at it.....

I just talked to my PVP and not only did she honor it but she beat it!!!!! I now have a $260 OBC. I can't wait!!!!! I booked thru Carnival-I did not use TA or agency. I always book thru Carnival. Wow, I'm keeping this PVP for future reference. I did not want a refund-just an OBC. I can spend it-just ask my DH-I'm really very good at it.....

The military rate is a percentage of the current website rate. When we book our PVP always tells what the website rate is when we book and says if that rate goes down we can call and get an adjustjment.

We seem to always book really early on cruises that sell out quickly so we've never gotten an adjustment. We just sit back and watch the rates go up, up, up. At least we know we got the best price we could.

A PVP is a "Personal Vacation Planner" at Carnival rather than going to a travel agency or another company such as Priceline or Expedia.Also, I'm surprised that they would ask for his DD214.Is he retired?I only had to show proof of Active Military service by faxing a copy of my CAC card.

A PVP is a "Personal Vacation Planner" at Carnival rather than going to a travel agency or another company such as Priceline or Expedia.Also, I'm surprised that they would ask for his DD214.Is he retired?I only had to show proof of Active Military service by faxing a copy of my CAC card.

Carnival and Costa are the only two cruiselines that will give a military discount with 2 or more years honorable service. A copy of the DD214 is required by the interline dept so that the discount can be applied if you qualify.

Dave

Retired Military and vets are also eligible for military rate (with honorable discharge and minimum 2 years) so they would fax the DD-214.

FYI - when faxing anything with a social security number I blacken out the number. They don't need it and I don't like just anyone passing a fax machine to have access to it.

Retired Military and vets are also eligible for military rate (with honorable discharge and minimum 2 years) so they would fax the DD-214.

FYI - when faxing anything with a social security number I blacken out the number. They don't need it and I don't like just anyone passing a fax machine to have access to it.

Woohoo, that's the best news I've heard all day. I didn't know that. I wonder if you can also get the military rate at hotels even after you've seperated with an Honorable Discharge.I'm still active but curious for when I get out.

Woohoo, that's the best news I've heard all day. I didn't know that. I wonder if you can also get the military rate at hotels even after you've seperated with an Honorable Discharge.I'm still active but curious for when I get out.

They have always offered to retirees (at least the last 7 years that we've used them). The vets is something new in a last few years. The military rate is limited and you have your best shot at getting it if you book early.

As far a hotels - most don't even ask to see the military ID - but I have had it happen and without proof you will pay the current rate. If they give to military they will give to retirees but not vets. When I call for room rates I always ask about the regular rate then ask if the government / military rate is cheaper. Some hotels it's actually MORE - so don't ever assume the military is the best rate.

Hey, How did you like the NCL Star and the Miracle. Our first cruise was on the Star and we were on the Miracle :) 2 weeks ago. We had service problems on the Star:( but loved their shows and the Chocolate Extravaganza wa out of this world:D . We really like the Miracle and the Ticket to Ride:) show was the best we have seen on our four cruises. Carnival wants a copy of the DD214 to make sure you qualify for the military discount. They treat us Vets great. I wish all the lines would offer a verteran a discount. We sacrificed a little of our time for the betterment of alll and, in my honest opinion, should be given this small perk. You don't have to be retired with CArnival. Only 2 years active service and an honorable discharge.

we booked last summer (lol) for this Dec.; rate has dropped once & a month or so ago were able to upgrade to 8C balcony & still save around $150:Dthanks to head's up here .

2 clueless questions:

1) when carnival offers upgrades; do they apply to the military rate too or are you out of luck if ressie is already booked?

2) didn't price out airfare, does carnival disc. it too?

tia

Hey, How did you like the NCL Star and the Miracle. Our first cruise was on the Star and we were on the Miracle :) 2 weeks ago. We had service problems on the Star:( but loved their shows and the Chocolate Extravaganza wa out of this world:D . We really like the Miracle and the Ticket to Ride:) show was the best we have seen on our four cruises. Carnival wants a copy of the DD214 to make sure you qualify for the military discount. They treat us Vets great. I wish all the lines would offer a verteran a discount. We sacrificed a little of our time for the betterment of alll and, in my honest opinion, should be given this small perk. You don't have to be retired with CArnival. Only 2 years active service and an honorable discharge.

I loved every cruise I've ever been on.That's a whopping two! I sailed on the Star while it was in Hawaii, it was so much fun! I think the best part was the Wonton Soup.I was 3 months pregnant and must have had that soup about 100 times by the time we got off. One thing I did like about the Star was the indoor pool area. It had the wooden reclining beach chairs that sat right in front of the windows at the aft part of the ship. What a beautiful view,especially while we sailed and could view the Hawaiian Islands!The Miracle was just as nice. Nick and Nora's (restaurant on the Miracle)is not to be missed.Book it for one night and you will not be dissapointed. I believe it was 30 pp. Have fun!

Sorry about the last post. I didn't realize til I read through it again that you've already been on the Star and Miracle.Haha! You sailed the same year as I did on the Star.So you know exactly what I mean about the beautiful views. One of the highlights was seeing Mt. Kilauea as it spewed lava into the ocean! We're you stationed in Hawaii?

I have another question about military rate. I am booked with military rate but I can't figure out how you can tell if THAT rate goes down? Do you just assume it does based on all the other rate drops and then call to request your OBC?

i use the web site "***** dot com" to check military rates. I have gotten 2 credits checking the site, then calling carnival.

we booked last summer (lol) for this Dec.; rate has dropped once & a month or so ago were able to upgrade to 8C balcony & still save around $150:Dthanks to head's up here .

2 clueless questions:

1) when carnival offers upgrades; do they apply to the military rate too or are you out of luck if ressie is already booked?

2) didn't price out airfare, does carnival disc. it too?

tia

We had booked last month for our September cruise using the military rate. I sent an email today asking if we qualified for any discounts or upgrades with today's 'big sale'. When my PVP called back we were offered an upgrade from the Upper deck to the Panorama deck. I took the upgrade :D.

Can't help ya with the air question, we always book that on our own.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

Such good info here. I went to the vacations to go and their original prices were really high! Where did they get those from? I wish I had known about the discounted rate in '05 when we went on our very first cruise with Princess. He had just come home from spending 15 months in Iraq and we really needed that vacation! But, now I know. Think I will book through Carnival, I guess. That appears to be the safest thing to do. Well, he's retired now after 22 years and we want to take our daughter and a friend. We'll have to squeeze it in during spring break, but I think it will still be okay. We will enjoy seeing the "kids" have fun!

Brenda

Sorry about the last post. I didn't realize til I read through it again that you've already been on the Star and Miracle.Haha! You sailed the same year as I did on the Star.So you know exactly what I mean about the beautiful views. One of the highlights was seeing Mt. Kilauea as it spewed lava into the ocean! We're you stationed in Hawaii?

Yes, the views of the Hawaiian Islands were breathtaking. We were in a balcony and loved entering and leaving each port. That's what hooked me.:)

No, I wasn't stationed there. No such luck.:cool:

Archived