Internet Hot Spots Around Ships

RevNeal

I usually check the Press Release page on HAL's website about once a month. I don't know if anyone saw this one, but take a look.

[QUOTE]NEWS RELEASE
July 19, 2004
For Immediate Release

Holland America Line Expands Wireless Internet Service
Signature of Excellence enhancements allow guests to surf at the pool, in the library or even at the bar

Seattle, July 19, 2004 – Holland America Line announced today that, as part of its $225 million Signature of Excellence initiative, the company is further elevating its premium cruise experience by expanding its wireless Internet service fleet-wide. This technology upgrade allows guests to stay in touch with loved ones, check stock quotes or share vacation experiences in real-time, all from the comfort and luxury of Holland America’s elegant five-star ships.

Wireless "hot spots," similar to those found in many land-based businesses today, are now available on all Holland America ships for guests traveling with personal laptop computers with wireless capability. Wireless Internet access aboard Holland America ships was previously only available in the Internet Café, which provides guests with the use of desktop computers, printers and traditional Internet access. Wireless service is now available at the Lido Deck pool and in the Atrium area, Explorer’s Lounge, Card Room, Library, Crow’s Nest, Ocean Bar and other locations, depending on the ship. This wireless expansion puts Holland America Line at the forefront of the cruise industry, providing guests with 24-hour wireless access the moment they step aboard.

“We have a longstanding and unwavering commitment to provide our guests with all the comforts and amenities possible,” said David A. Giersdorf, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Holland America Line. “More wireless coverage means more convenience for our guests. They can now enjoy all of the beautiful lounges, pools and common areas throughout the vessel while the rest of the world is just a click away.”

Offering the same pricing and sign-up procedures as terminals in the Internet Café, guests can purchase time at 75 cents per minute or in discounted packages that range up to 250 minutes. Discounts for purchasing bulk packages of online time can reduce the cost to as little as 40 cents per minute. Guests’ laptops will filter the connection according to the settings that have been established on each system. Internet managers on board all ships are available to assist guests with troubleshooting.[/QUOTE]

This means that I'll be able to sit in the Explorer's Lounge and write up my posts for CC on my laptop, get them all ready to send, [i]then[/i] sign on for only as long as it will take to upload my reports. That ability -- to draft offline -- will save me money!!!!!!!!

It will also mean that I'll be able to send photos from the ship! :)

Yippie!

[QUOTE]I'm really looking forward to sitting in the library with a good tome and listening to the click-click-click of someone keyboarding their friends back home.[/QUOTE]

When they leave the doors open into the old Puzzle Corner on the S-ships (where the Internet Center is on all but a couple of the S-ships) it can get a little loud ... especially when the printer runs. :)

I wonder if the hotspots will reach far enough for one to sit out on the Promenade and be able to access the internet????? :)

I have usually seen no one or only a person or two in the internet cafe. But I really, really, really like the relaxation of jigsaw puzzles and am so sad that there is usually nowhere to put one together. :( Maybe this will mean they put the Puzzle Corner back for those who prefer to get away from it all? :cool:

I still have the outlook "I'm on vacation" and being I am around computers 12 hours a day when I'm at work, I refuse to have anything to do with them on vacation. :D

I will remain e-mailess the entire 15 days and the 10 days prior to that too (and loving every minute of it)! See ya on the internet AFTER the trip :D :D

Now if they let Amateur Radio creep in there.........well I'd have to think about that one (N1MHV)

The Chief has got it under control. That's exactly my opinion, and what I do. The "Out of Office Assistant" in Outlook is a very good thing. If it's work stuff, too bad, I'm on vacation. If it's on my computer at home, there's a 50/50 chance it's garbage anyway. I love to pull the plug on everything when I'm on a cruise. Besides, I think it cost too much to use the Internet on the ship.

Rev Neal has a good way of getting around the cost issues, and folks do love those reports from the ship (we certainly do).

When it comes to laptops, hey, whatever floats your boat!:)

Ken

[QUOTE]...I really, really, really like the relaxation of jigsaw puzzles and am so sad that there is usually nowhere to put one together. Maybe this will mean they put the Puzzle Corner back for those who prefer to get away from it all?[/QUOTE]

They still have the Puzzle Corner on the Statendam! VERY nice little hidden "nook." Took me by surprised, for I was used to seeing internet terminals in that room on some of the other ships. :)

As for traffic there ... I've seen it empty, and I've seen every terminal taken and people waiting to get on-line.

RevNeal,

I found during our Feb/March Statendam cruise to Hawaii, 15 days, the $100 package for my laptop was just right. Using my own wireless card I could log in anywhere near the Atrium, on any floor above the internet cafe. Found the piano bar was just right during the day. Uploaded photos every day with a minimal of issue. One thought, my ZoneAlarm Pro was not happy with the wireless connection and I needed to disable some of its features.

If you are looking for a free photo blog service try the one I use below. Just select the photo and it will take to you to my site. You can select one of the TA links at the upper right of any page. Nice thing about TA is that you email a photo to your assigned TA email address and it is posted to your web page. No fuss or additonal work needed.

George

P.S. Glad to see I am not the only large sized man on the boards.

[QUOTE]When it comes to laptops, hey, whatever floats your boat![/QUOTE]

:D Literally! :D

In my experience, computers are far more than office equipment ... they have many personal and therapeutic uses as well. Perhaps it's because I use Macintosh computers, including especially a Powerbook, but I have always found that computers are not so much a chore as they are a pleasure to use. :) I hear people grumbling all the time about how Windows did this or that to them, and how they've got this virus or that virus; I don't have any of those kinds of problems.

On a cruise my laptop will have four basic uses:

[list=1]
[*]Photograph downloading, viewing, manipulation, and storage.
[*]E-mail reading and drafting, Cruise report drafting, internet access via hotspot.
[*]Personal writing -- poetry, prose, note for book, etc..
[*]Wathcing DVDs on the plane, at the airport, etc.
[/list]

I have not intention of "working" while on the cruise.

Hi Revneal!
I use a Mac also & love how simple most things are. Whenever I try to figure out how to do something new it usually turns out that it is way more simple then I thought it would be. Like moving a picture from my iphoto site is as easy as just dragging it where I want it.
I'm wondering if that is how you would type a report to post on the boards...type it on Appleworks, save it on your desk top, then sign on the board and just drag it over?
I'm planning on bringing my ibook on our Alaska cruise mainly for downloading photos but it would be fun to share photos & reports here if I knew how to do it.
My poor Hubby...I want to bring 3 cameras, my laptop, plus layers of clothes for 2 wks! I'm sure we will be paying United extra for heavy bags!
Thanks in advance,
rocks

[QUOTE]If you are looking for a free photo blog service try the one I use below.[/QUOTE]

George, thanks for your info and for your suggestions. It's good to know that the hotspots have some range to them around the ship. :) I figured they would.

If you view my Photo link below you'll notice I have my own website where I can easily upload photos for display via link on this board. I also have a mac.com account, with all the photo display utilities that are present there. Hence, it should be a simple matter for me to upload selected photos while on the cruise.

Again, thanks for the info on hotspot ranges and the price quoted. That's do-able.

[QUOTE]I'm wondering if that is how you would type a report to post on the boards...type it on Appleworks, save it on your desk top, then sign on the board and just drag it over?[/QUOTE]

I do most of my writing in MSWord. I will write up my reports, Email (using Apple's Email software and off-line drafting), and prepare all photos for the web with photoshop.

I'll then sign on for long enough to come to CC and, through copy-paste, post my messages here. I'll also run an email flash-session to send and retrieve mail (though I'll only do that once a day). I also plan on uploading some photos to my website, and then place some links here for people to get a visual taste of the trip. I'll wait until I get home to upload the lions share of my photos ... during the cruise I'll just post a few samples here. :)

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I was told 2 weeks ago by the computer assistant on board the Ryndam that on that ship, the wireless capability is anywhere but the Suites, as they have more insulation and noise reduction. Seemed most people were using the wireless laptops all over the ship, except in the Suites!:eek: :cool: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I can't say all the cell phone usage in Alaska was good...it's rather annoying to have folks talking all over the ship with them, call me old fashioned.:eek: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Sure I used my cellphone to talk to my kids a couple of times while onboard but I didn't carry it on all the time. That is what a vacation is for!!:D :cool: [/color][/size][/font]

You do have a point about the Photo thing RevNeal and I could see where the laptop would be handy. I opted to get a digital camera that stores the images onto an 8cm DVD disk. It holds 81 images per disk or will also record 90 minutes of video on the same size disk and is not much bigger than a regular SLR without the big lense sticking out the middle.

Also the fact that you write is another reason to have one I suppose and like all things, your point of view is determined by where your standing and which way your facing. Happy Sailing:D

I wouldn't be able to travel if internet access was not available aboard ships. My parents are 92 and 94 years old and I have to stay in touch. I love the hot spots and bring my iBook with me. Hubby brings his Powerbook and we both are happy. We've been Apple/Macintosh users since 1981.

Archived