Formal Night Attire Question

melgray13

Hey everyone. No worries, I'm not going to ask if I can wear jeans.

I'm just curious how formal the norm is on Princess. Should I go with a cocktail dress or full length dress? What about hubby - black suit or tux? I know either is "OK" - I'm just trying to get a sense of what the majority are doing.

Thanks!

I'm just curious how formal the norm is on Princess. Should I go with a cocktail dress or full length dress? What about hubby - black suit or tux? I know either is "OK" - I'm just trying to get a sense of what the majority are doing.

Thanks!

Cocktail length dress is fine, as is a black suit for hubby. The majority of people on our cruises have dressed exactly like that. You will be fine.

I haven't been there yet, so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've been reading on these boards for the last few months, you should wear whatever you enjoy wearing.

It seems clear that jeans are frowned upon but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

As a veteran of the ladies fashion business I would say on formal night you should wear your favorite dressy dress. It doesn't matter if it's long or cocktail length. What matters is that you like it and feel pretty in it. And like wise for him. If he enjoys getting dressed in formal wear or has a tux of his own, this is a great chance to wear it and look his best. On the other hand if he feels more comfortable in a suit or even a nice jacket and tie, let him wear that. Just make sure that your outfits aren't too far apart in how dressy you are as a couple. I always think that a couple who coordinate their outfits look better than those who don't.

So don't spend a lot of time agonizing over what others will be wearing. Just bring the clothes that you love and you're bound to look your best.;)

I haven't been there yet, so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've been reading on these boards for the last few months, you should wear whatever you enjoy wearing.

It seems clear that jeans are frowned upon but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

As a veteran of the ladies fashion business I would say on formal night you should wear your favorite dressy dress. It doesn't matter if it's long or cocktail length. What matters is that you like it and feel pretty in it. And like wise for him. If he enjoys getting dressed in formal wear or has a tux of his own, this is a great chance to wear it and look his best. On the other hand if he feels more comfortable in a suit or even a nice jacket and tie, let him wear that. Just make sure that your outfits aren't too far apart in how dressy you are as a couple. I always think that a couple who coordinate their outfits look better than those who don't.

So don't spend a lot of time agonizing over what others will be wearing. Just bring the clothes that you love and you're bound to look your best.;)

Very well put....................:D

On the Golden out of San Juan last January I wore a cocktail dress and my DM wore a dressy top and formal pants (DF & DB in suits-- brother may have done a sport coat one night instead-- he was still in college and didn't own many suits at the time). We joined a table of 8 on the first formal night and our tablemates were all dressed along the same lines as us. That said, if you have a gown you'd love to wear, there were certainly women in full evening gowns, and I doubt you'd feel like you stood out at all. Have a great cruise!!!

Thanks!

We have found on the longer cruises (10 days, plus), more folks opt for more, rather than less, dressy. That is, more tuxes for the men and more gowns or longer dresses for the ladies. We did notice on the CB and a shorter cruise (7 days) despite 2 formal nights, the attire was less "formal" (i.e, more suits and cocktail dresses). As others have said, if you're looking for an excuse to really dress up (even just on one of the 2 nights), you'll be in good company and it's a good change to get a really formal portrait.

Archived