Best place to enjoy some King Crab?

DaisyGirl55

Recently found out that the ship I am sailing does not serve Alaskan King Crab on the ship. Would love to be able to eat some great fresh seafood while we are on our cruise, especially some King Crab Legs. Our ports of call are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Any suggestions for a great place to eat at one of these ports? Probably do a lunch visit as I would rather not skip dinner onboard, even if the ship is parked at the dock.

You know, that is too bad. I too would really like to have some king crab on my Alaskan cruise... I would hope the cruise lines would do this. I am not into Salmon at all but I am sure they will serve that quite a bit being in Alaska and all. What cruise line are you on that you know does not serve it? Does anyone know about NCL? I am guessing none will. I would rather have that than lobster.... But of course that is just my opinion. I just would think they would serve King crab as a specialty for being in Alaska...

Any king crab you would get in SE Alaska would be frozen, not fresh. Crab season is generally in the winter and spring. In addtion, most king crab comes from the Kodiak/Bering Sea region. If you want fresh crab, try the local dungeness. I think it tastes better than king crab. Halibut is also delicious.

I am sailing on Celebrity's Mercury, from Vancouver on June 29. From reading these boards, I found out that King Crab is not generally served onboard, as most of the foodstuffs are loaded at the beginning of the cruise.

Seems funny to sail to Alaska and not be served Alaskan King Crab Legs....but I am more than willing to eat them onshore!

Thanks for the tip Wolfie11....I just might do that! Mostly we want to be able to enjoy some really fresh seafood.

Any king crab you would get in SE Alaska would be frozen, not fresh. Crab season is generally in the winter and spring. In addtion, most king crab comes from the Kodiak/Bering Sea region. If you want fresh crab, try the local dungeness. I think it tastes better than king crab. Halibut is also delicious.

I agree, Dungeness Crab is better. I read that the Restaurant at the top of the Mount Roberts Tram, in Juneau, (Timberline Bar and Grill), has an all you can eat crab feed from June-Sept.

Wolfie-IMO Dungeness is better than king (even if fresh). Just more flavor, especially the body meat! But then after it's frozen all crab seems to lose most flavor.

BTW-if someone is staying in Seattle before or after their cruise they almost always have some really nice Dungeness in the Pike place market. They'll clean & crack it for you there if you ask (at least they have in the past). If you go here, watch out for low flying salmon!

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/store/item.aspx?pf_id=710

-Monte

Another reason I am spoiled living in Oregon. Fresh dungeness crab, nothing beats it!

Between a couple trips to Westport WA each year and going to visit my sister in Newport, OR and brother in Seaside---I can relate!

-Monte

I agree, Dungeness Crab is better. I read that the Restaurant at the top of the Mount Roberts Tram, in Juneau, (Timberline Bar and Grill), has an all you can eat crab feed from June-Sept.
I thought I read somewhere that if you eat in the resturant that you don't have to pay for the tram ride. Not exactly sure how that would work since you have to get up there first. :confused:

I emailed the restaurant at Mt Roberts and they got back to me recently. We will be in Juneau on June 14th and they said that is still too early for the crab and it is late June to July before they have this special.

Archived