Civil Union Celebration - Explorer of The Seas

rcoasterz

Hi folks,

My partner and I are being as close to "wed" as we can get in New Jersey in April. Our civil union will just be in the presence of our 2 witnesses and a justice of the peace. Although we'll be having our civil union prior to the cruise, we were thinking perhaps it might be nice to have something more ceremonious on the ship to celebrate. Two questions:

1) Aside from a ceremony in the chapel prior to sailing, is there anything celebratory that you'd recommend for us while onboard?

2) Would it be an issue that it's a same-sex civil union?

Thanks for your help.

John

The same-sex thing won't be an issue.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, you could arrange a private reception (they use the card room below the chapel for this). You could also host a "reception" in one of the specialty restaurants. At $20 a head, it's way cheaper than donig the same thing on land! I suspect the room would be rather empty the first night.

You could also call the ship and ask them to send one of the photographers. They are pretty good and then you would have an assortment fo pictures to choose from.

Here's a link to the RCL wedding page, in case you haven't seen it.

Lastly, congratulations! It's a big commitment and it's great that you found someone to make it with.

Hi, John

First of all, congrats to you and your partner! To answer your questions, I cannot imagine that a same-sex ceremony on board will be an issue. My partner and I took our first cruise on Jewel of the Seas in November 2004 to celebrate 25 years together. We've taken eight more cruises since then, all on Royal Caribbean, because we have always felt completely welcome, comfortable, and accepted by crew, staff, and other guests.

Schplinky's suggestion about Chops is a good one. The food and service are both outstanding there. I'd also suggest a visit to the Champagne Bar for a bottle of bubbly, if you like that sort of thing. It's a classy experience that always makes us happy!

Cheers and best wishes!

Steve

Hi, John

First of all, congrats to you and your partner! To answer your questions, I cannot imagine that a same-sex ceremony on board will be an issue. My partner and I took our first cruise on Jewel of the Seas in November 2004 to celebrate 25 years together. We've taken eight more cruises since then, all on Royal Caribbean, because we have always felt completely welcome, comfortable, and accepted by crew, staff, and other guests.

Schplinky's suggestion about Chops is a good one. The food and service are both outstanding there. I'd also suggest a visit to the Champagne Bar for a bottle of bubbly, if you like that sort of thing. It's a classy experience that always makes us happy!

Cheers and best wishes!

Steve

Sorry, Explorer has Portifino rather than Chops. Both are good, so you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy your cruise!

Steve

Thanks all for the great ideas! I think I'll make up little invitations and leave them at our friends' staterooms on the first night inviting them to join us for a bottle of champagne at the Champagne Bar to celebrate. We'll be dining with them in the main dining room throughout the cruise, so I think champagne might be a nice treat.

Thanks again!

Archived