How do you do formal night?

JimandLouise

How do you do formal night?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How do you do formal night?

• Its a 'special night' I'll get in a tux any chance I get.
    • Why waste the money on a tux when a dark suit will do?
    • I attend formal nights but I don't dress for the occasion.
    • I stick to room service or Horizon Court those nights - I don't want to dress up.

Absolutely not! It is irrelevant to this discussion. I am discussing the current policy concerning standards of dress on Princess ships and the fact that there are many who wish to belittle those passengers who do not dress in accordance with their (the passengers)desires, but are in accordance with the ship owners’ policy.

It is relevant because I am trying to interpret just what "we" think what the standards are. It has nothing to do with belittling passengers.

I will tell you that I do not show up in the dinning room on formal night. I may attend one of the alternative restaurants dressed in attire that I would call smart casual. I may order from the dining room menu in my cabin. I hesitate to even state that as it is also irrelevant to this discussion.

I really do not care what you do. I see that the alternate restaurants are classified "Upscale" not "Smart Casual" (pg 17 chart). I am asking what is your definition of "Upscale". Since you say, you will be appropiately dressed for thes alternative restaurants. I would like your assistance as I do not want to be over or under deressed.

The only prohibition/mandate/requirement concerning dress that Princess has in their policies is no shorts, bathing suits, etc. in the dining room for dinner. Other than that, there is no mandate on dress.

I could not find this "no shorts" policy in the cruise answer book. Can you tell me where it is located?

I love dressing up for at least 1 night. It's good to know that I won't look out of place wearing my long dress. As I wear scrubs for work anything else is better. DH on the other hand wears suits frequently for work and changes out of them as soon as possible. He doesn't like formal nights. Complains about having to pack extra stuff, wants to be able to feel like he's on vacation and not in the office, blah, blah, blah... What is nice about our Princess cruise is that there are 2 formal nights. We will dress up once (happy me) and skip the 2nd night (happy him). That's not to say we would show up in the dining room looking slovenly either. After many "smart casual" cruises on NCL we have lots of reasonable evening attire.

Angie

I could not find this "no shorts" policy in the cruise answer book. Can you tell me where it is located?
It does not matter what “we” think the standards are. I guess I’ll state this one more time! Formal dress, smart casual, etc. are suggestions, not requirements. If I am not in formal dress, I am in compliance with the dress code.

Since I have yet to see a required dress code for “Upscale” and even if there is one, I bet it is suggested, not required, smart casual (as I deem) is appropriate in the “Upscale” restaurants.

You asked me to define three words. Those three words relate to attire, specifically my interpretation of those styles of dress. By asking me how I define styles of dress certainly goes to how I would dress in those instances. If you don’t care what I do, then why did you ask?

Once again, call 1-800-PRINCESS. They own the ships, they are the entity who writes the policies, they are the only authority on this subject. Why not ask them?

Guess shipkicker is keeping his "dress" definitions to himself.. :D
I will tell you that I do not show up in the dinning room on formal night. I may attend one of the alternative restaurants dressed in attire that I would call smart casual. I may order from the dining room menu in my cabin. I hesitate to even state that as it is also irrelevant to this discussion.

I really do not care what you do

Thought you did not care!

You asked me to define three words. Those three words relate to attire, specifically my interpretation of those styles of dress. By asking me how I define styles of dress certainly goes to how I would dress in those instances. If you don’t care what I do, then why did you ask?

I don't.. I am looking for definitions so I can better understand your thinking. So why are you having such a problem defining 3 styles of dress?

I don't.. I am looking for definitions so I can better understand your thinking. So why are you having such a problem defining 3 styles of dress?

See post number 75 and try this link: http://www.m-w.com/

See post number 75 and try this link: http://www.m-w.com/

Well it looks like this discussion is at an impass.. I am aware of the ambiguity of Princess "suggested attire".. However I do know, if I am going out to eat at a nice restaurant where the waiters are wearing tuxedos, I won't be wearing my dockers. Time for the gym.. catch you later.. :)

I agree. I have shown nothing but respect while attempting to express my points concerning this issue. The point that most refuse to see/read/hear is that the issue is with Princess, not the passengers who are in compliance with the dress policy. I believe that the fact of the matter is that most who chant the should, must, etc., dress formally mantra know that Princess will never mandate formal attire. The notion that I can somehow impede the enjoyment of another passenger’s vacation is preposterous. If I did somehow affect the enjoyment of someone’s cruise simply because I was not attired to their standards, then why would they travel on Princess? I would think they would find it far more enjoyable to cruise with a line that requires passengers to dress in a manner that meets or exceeds their standards. Instead, they choose to attack and belittle those of us that follow the policy, which does not require us to dress in formal attire. I have no problem with anyone dressing in formal attire or otherwise. I am not suggesting anyone stop cruising with Princess because of the way I may or may not dress. I am hoping the anger, name calling, condescension, and aristocratic attitude and behavior would be directed where it belongs, with PRINCESS!
I’m sorry, but I think this argument has become so engrossed in the words, that the spirit of what the cruise line is trying to present is being lost. Formal dress or not, Princess is trying to present a formal evening. There are more elaborate events on these nights, more elaborate dinners and shows and the whole tone of the evening is more formal then the last evening after a day spent in port on the beach. Given that and the fact that we’re all intelligent people here – or at least I think we are – we all understand what the expectations are for the evening.

Perhaps "suggested" is the wrong word for the cruise line to use - but then again even the most formal lines don't mandate formal dress. I think it pretty obvious that the arguments dissecting words – no matter how learned they seem – are missing the whole point and are posted just for the sake of keeping the fires burning. You’re right, I’m wrong. Wait, I’m right, you’re wrong. Who cares anymore? Live and let live – I’m out of it. Dress however you’d like for a formal evening, but be assured you’ll be in the minority if you don’t at least attempt a suit and tie.

I have friends who are crew members and who must put forth extra effort for formal evenings. It’s interesting to hear how discouraged they sometimes get when people don’t respect that effort by going to a little effort themselves to shower and dress. And as I've stated before, I have addressed my issues with dress with Princess and things have tightened up - I don't claim that to be because of me, but obviously others feel as I do and Princess is hearing us. I realize that on a ship where formal and informal events are held at the same time, there will be some mixing of the species and I don't mind that at all. I do mind flagrant disregard of the guidelines.

Finally, those who want to participate in formal events but don't want to dress think it wrong to be criticized for it. But as I've indicated before, those of us who do want to participate would like to have a formal evening. Since those non-formal dressers are so open minded and tolerant, would you mind staying out of my part of the ship during these events? Thanks.

I am out of the fray as well. The joy of debating is not for me. If the question is asked, I may post the link to princess, but then they will have to decide for themselves. I will not make a suggestion. I will continue to dress as I choose, and everyone else has the same choice.!!

It's not a rule it's your presumed and perceived "wish list" Largin...I am smart dresser in any event so it's a moot point...but I just love rubbing salt in the wound about this one...get's all those gestapo dress police people on this thread!..heheehehehhehe

Amusing thread!:D I see this as simply an etiquette issue. Manners and etiquette are self-imposed rules. Dress codes are sometimes strictly encforced, but most often they are simply dictated by etiquette. You could be having this same conversation about chewing with your mouth open. Princess does not have a policy about chewing with your mouth open, but they may suggest that you eat with it closed.

Now, some people will enjoy that liberty, and chew - even talk! - with their mouth open, because Princess does not have a specific policy. They may enjoy the more confortable feel of an open mouth. They may be free-spirits who refuse to live by out-dated rules of etiquette. Whatever the case, don't get mad at them, folks. Princess has caused this problem because they have not made an explicit "no chewing with your mouth open" policy. Take this up with Princess and keep your aristocratic airs about open-mouthed chewing to yourselves!

tom N jules...no reason to be a "puss" about it.and funny enough LARGIN just always coincidently appears 5 minutes right after my posts..strange, funny,spooky all of the above?...who knows!..and besides I always play nice can't say the same about some others on here...as my Mom always said.."if you don't have anything good to say ...don't say anything!"..perhaps you should try this sometime instead of being a phantom or shadow poster lurking in the background just waiting to stir the pot even more and pounce on people...very productive coming from adults isn't it?

perhaps you should try this sometime instead of being a phantom or shadow poster lurking in the background just waiting to stir the pot even more and pounce on people...very productive coming from adults isn't it?

"You" in the generic sense -- as in "some of you people" -- or "you" meaning specifically me in this case?

I would like to respond. However, having read how this discussion has deteriorated into insults and name calling to specific folks, I suspect (like the last thread) this thread is very short lived. It will probably cease to exist quickly.

However, before it is pulled, I would like to implore the person(s) in a position of authority to remove this thread that they take appropriate action against those who deserve censure, not the entire group. I realize this board is not a democracy and I am not ranting about free speech or anything along those lines. This board is owned by the owners of this web site and as such, they can do whatever they feel appropriate.

So, please be a little more diplomatic before the entire thread is removed.

I’ll wait a day or two, and if this thread survives, then I will post my responses.

By the way, bdjam, I was giving you three cheers until I got to the last paragraph in your post. Aside from that paragraph, I whole heartedly agree! BRAVO BDJAM!

How about these for Steve: http://www.youniqueboutique.com/malepower/Styles2/images/330-45A.jpg

And this for Sue:

http://www.fredericks.com/images/2/21053_60_itm_a_4202.jpg

ALL IN GOOD FUN AND BOTH ARE CLEAN PICTURES!

Thought I might try this one on formal night. It's very smart looking. Somehow, I don't think it will look the same on me!<G> http://www.fredericks.com/showlarge.asp?name=Shadow+Stripe+Thong&item=03188&path=%2Fimages%2F0%2F03188%5F04%5Flrg%5Fa%5F3600%2Ejpg

ALL IN GOOD FUN!!! We have to be able to laugh at ourselves!

Archived