How do you do formal night?

JimandLouise

How do you do formal night?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How do you do formal night?

• Its a 'special night' I'll get in a tux any chance I get.
    • Why waste the money on a tux when a dark suit will do?
    • I attend formal nights but I don't dress for the occasion.
    • I stick to room service or Horizon Court those nights - I don't want to dress up.

I agree on hundred percent. It is the spirit Princess would like. However, they did not make it a requirement. One might ask why? The only reasonable answer is that Princess does not want to force anyone whom does not want to dress formally to dress formally or otherwise. Princess recognizes some passengers like to dress formal and experience that type of evening. In an effort to attract both types of cruise passengers, they choose not to require formal attire. Therefore, my not dressing in formal attire has not violated any policy, has not affected your evening in any way, etc. Some just refuse to see that Princess is the problem here, not me or others that don’t dress in formal attire. I have noticed some conflicting wording in various Princess documents. Considering that, then what does one do to achieve clarity on the issue? I called Princess, more than once! Princess told me I do not have to dress in formal attire. You want me to dress in formal attire. I want everyone on the freeway to use a signal when they change lanes which is the law. My distaste towards drivers not signaling is appropriate because it is required. Other passengers distaste directed at me for not wearing formal attire is inappropriate.

I don’t consider this an argument, rather a debate. Am I going to change anyone’s opinion on this issue? Probably not, I do believe and hope that I have caused some to think about this issue a little more and perhaps realize that the pejorative remarks and attacks on those that do not dress in formal attire are wrong. As I have stated numerous times, I don’t dine in the dining room on formal night. That is out of respect for the formal attired passengers who want to enjoy the spirit of the evening. I am fully within the cruise lines policy if I did dine in the dining room while not attired in formal wear.

We are of different opinion, and frankly you’re right – you’re probably not going to change my mind on this issue. I submit that those of us who consider ourselves worldly enough to participate in cruise vacations know what is expected of us at formal events. If – as you do – one takes advantage of the casual alternatives that Princess offers, which by the way may be one reason you’ve been given the information that formal dress is suggested – I think that’s fine. I even don’t mind if those who are dressed casually mingle with those who are dressed formally as I realize the ship is offering two types of experiences for the evening.

But as I said before, I do mind having to sit at a formal table next to someone who disregards all social convention and displays none of the expected manners around the event – and probably unlike most who weigh in on this topic, I’ve had it happen to me. I agree that the cruise line should enforce it’s dress codes, but you cannot – no matter how much you’d like to – put the blame for this lack of respect of convention on the cruise line. There is no one who goes into the dining room in less than formal attire on a formal evening that doesn’t know exactly what they are doing. If you claim that Princess doesn’t have strict enough guidelines to infer what’s expected to passengers, I claim that as supposedly civilized adults, we should be able to figure it out. I also claim that the cruise line is not a babysitter. Formal dress isn’t the only issue where passengers expect the cruise line to fill in for their less than adult behavior.

No pejorative remarks or attacks. Just a thought about how we’ve been socialized and what we’ve lost in that process. Many think not much – it’s just clothes, right? Well, that’s where it starts.

As to the “authority” on this issue, I again quote what is indicated on the Princess website. You got a different answer from Customer Service. So which one do we believe? Would you be looking somewhere else for the definitive answer if Customer Service had told you that formal dress was mandated?

I just copied this from the Princess website...

On Formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men.

I submit that those of us who consider ourselves worldly enough to participate in cruise vacations know what is expected of us at formal events.
I agree 100%! I consider myself one of those worldly enough to participate in a cruise vacation knowing what is expected of me. It is not expected that I dress in formal attire, it is requested, and wanted, but not expected, at least not by the cruise line, hence their policy on the subject.
you’ve been given the information that formal dress is suggested
Correct! By many of those at Princess and as I found on page 17 of the Cruise Answer Book, under the heading “ATTIRE FOR MAIN DINING ROOM”: “The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.” By the way, it is titled MAIN DINING ROOM; the alternative restaurants are not considered the main dining room. Therefore, the suggested dress code does not apply to the alternative restaurants. As I stated before, there is conflicting information out there from Princess Cruises. Once again, that affirms my contention that the problem lays with Princess, not me, who complies with the dress code at all times.
I do mind having to sit at a formal table next to someone who disregards all social convention and displays none of the expected manners around the event
I agree 100 percent! Although those that do that are not in violation of the dress code, I would agree with your wording that they are in violation of social convention. One of the reasons you will not see me in the dining room on formal night.
put the blame for this lack of respect of convention on the cruise line.
I have never, in any post inferred that someone’s choice to disregard social convention and appear in the dining room in non-formal attire was the problem of Princess. I have defended their right to do so under the policies of the cruise line, and I continue to defend those actions.
If you claim that Princess doesn’t have strict enough guidelines to infer what’s expected to passengers
I agree with you 100 percent. They are very clear in their inference that they would like all passengers to dress in formal attire; however, they also make it clear that it is not required.
I claim that as supposedly civilized adults, we should be able to figure it out.
I believe you must be talking about their inability to comprehend or complete indifference to social convention. They may be guilty of that, but are in compliance with the dress policy.
Just a thought about how we’ve been socialized and what we’ve lost in that process.
The dress policy from Princess Cruises has nothing to do with social convention, or how we have been socialized.
As to the “authority” on this issue, I again quote what is indicated on the Princess website. You got a different answer from Customer Service. So which one do we believe?
Exactly!! BRAVO again! I also got a different answer from the source I quoted above. Good question, who we believe. The only source for clarification is the cruise line. Not the opinions of me, or anyone else that may have or will chime in on this topic. I have made numerous inquiries, and always received the same answer.
Would you be looking somewhere else for the definitive answer if Customer Service had told you that formal dress was mandated?
Absolutely not, they write the policy, if it was a requirement, you would either not see me on a Princess ship, or you would see me in formal attire!

Ship – I’m not sure whether I admire the consistency of your argument or worry about the fact that it’s so literal.
Your right about that! I believe it stems from my job as a Disciplinary Hearing Officer (analogous to a Judge) in a correctional institution. I am continually writing my decisions based on correctional policy and my evaluation and weighting of the evidence and testimony. Never a dull moment!

Oops! Off topic again, Errr…ummm, I don’t dress formally either!<G>

• 2 weeks later...

Three words--Black Tie Optional. Consult Ms. Manners. If you don't care for the dress code, eat elsewhere--the buffet, room service and the optional restaurants are there for formal night dodgers. To me, those who dodge formal night miss out on a wonderful opportunity.

OK, I'll weigh in with my humble opinion. I hate wearing a suit of any kind on a Caribbean cruise. It's too hot, and it just doesn't seem to fit with the idea of a cruise in the tropics. I think Princess should designate a couple of its cruises as completely dress-code-less. Let people wear anything (shorts, t-shirts, Aloha shirts, tank tops, whatever) other than bathing suits at any meal, in any venue. I'll bet that they'd sell out right away. I have a different take on the Alaska cruises. Older, more traditional passengers, stay with the traditions and have formal nights.

coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man!;)

Oh that is so true!

I'm 25 and going on my first cruise this December. I have several casual dresses (white, black and floral), 1 long semi-formal and have selected a new formal (buying it tomorrow!) for the trip.

I can't convince my DH to rent a tux:( . So I hope that it's not too uncommon for one spouse to dress formal and one to dress in slacks and a button up shirt--he won't even wear a tie for me:rolleyes:

this is quite the thread-lol

Three words--Black Tie Optional. Consult Ms. Manners. If you don't care for the dress code, eat elsewhere--the buffet, room service and the optional restaurants are there for formal night dodgers. To me, those who dodge formal night miss out on a wonderful opportunity.
Key word there is OPTIONAL. As I have said many times, I don’t dress in formal attire, nor do I eat in the dining room when the suggested dress is formal. However, I would be within the cruise lines policy if I choose to eat in the dining room when the suggested dress code is formal and I am not wearing formal attire. If you want to dress in formal attire that’s great! If you attempt to impose your desire to dress in formal attire on those that rightfully choose not to, then that is inappropriate.

I wonder if age plays a part on which men prefer tuxes and which prefer suits. My DF won't wear a tux but doesn't mind wearing a suit. He said he will only wear a tux if he's forced to in a wedding. (He's not wearing one for ours). Apparently he finds them and the shoes very very uncomfortable.

I think women have it a bit easier since we can wear dresses roomy enough to allow us to have seconds on those yummy desserts!:D

On my last two cruises there were no formal nights since they were less than 7 days long so I'm very excited to see everyone dressed up so nicely. :)

I wonder if age plays a part on which men prefer tuxes and which prefer suits. My DF won't wear a tux but doesn't mind wearing a suit. He said he will only wear a tux if he's forced to in a wedding. (He's not wearing one for ours). Apparently he finds them and the shoes very very uncomfortable.

Dunno about the age thing but what sold me on wearing a tux was all the looks and smiles I got from the dressed up women...

I think women have it a bit easier since we can wear dresses roomy enough to allow us to have seconds on those yummy desserts!:D

Tuxes can be comfortable. I have both a two button and a double breasted. As for shoes, I looked all over (I prefer lightweight leather) and found a pair as soft and comfortable as my loafers.. And geez, you only wear it for around 6 hours.. I figure if a woman can wear heels for that period, so can a guy wear his dress shoes..

On my last two cruises there were no formal nights since they were less than 7 days long so I'm very excited to see everyone dressed up so nicely. :)

On Princess they have one formal night on a two night cruise..

can someone please tell me where to get tux rental info? I'm still trying to persuade dh to rent one:rolleyes: , I don't think it's gonna work but I'd like to know the cost and other details just in case.

thanks

stacey

Try this link: http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

If you rent, it will be waiting for you in your cabin!

Archived