Suggestions for our POA cruise in June

cmpaula

First, many thanks for all the great suggestions already posted! I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to and would appreciate any suggestions!

We are sailing on June 2 and have ports in Hilo, Kahului, Kona and Nawiliwili on Kauai. My husband and I have been to Oahu and Maui many times but this time we are bringing our 2 teens. They are seasoned travelers and love adventure.

Which port has the best luau?

We are planning a beginning scuba excursion (the kids have never scuba dived) in either Maui or Kona.which would you suggest?

What is the must see for each island?

We are renting cars on each island, any suggestions on which rental car company is best for ease of pick up and drop off?

Are there any cruise excursions that are a must or can we find the same experience on our own?

Thanks for your help!

We were on the PoAm last June and had a FABULOUS WEEK! You can look up my review on this site. We rented cars in each port, except for Kona, where we opted for the FABULOUS Captain Zodiak Raft and Snorkel excusion. ONLY excursion we took on this cruise and it was well worth it. I have heard great things abour Fairwinds, too, particulrly with kids, but they would LOVE Captain Zodiak as well! You can ONLY get to the Captain Cook Monument by boat and it is a wonderful place. like snorkeling in an aquarium!

We went to the Royal Lahaina (or Kaanapali) Luau on Maui. it was GREAT! Use this link to get great prices and read the reviews here or on tripadvisor.com. I most heartily recommend it for the food, drinks, show, beautiful beach location, and the great fire dancing!

http://www.mauihawaiiluau.com/kaanapalibeachluau.html

....Captain Cook Monument by boat and it is a wonderful place. like snorkeling in an aquarium!

I'm planning on doing Molokini snorkel off Maui but it is going to be tough on me since I'm attending the luau the night before. Will be tired. Thought about Captain Cook excursion instead but want the best experience. Can you or anyone tell me which is better?

Lisa

Yukon111: A lot depends on the water, wind, and other conditions the day you go. The overall concensous is that Kealakekua Bay is better. We've had excellent snorkeling at Honaunau (near K-Bay) and plan on K-Bay next land trip. The ship's excursion is probably with Captain Zodiac, which is supposed to be fun, but is of concern for those with back problems. It's a raft and does not have shade or restrooms (from what I've heard; I don't have first-hand knowledge), but most members who've done it have raved about it.

Molokini can be marginal to very good depending on conditions. We've been out three times and have had decent snorkeling every time.

With your schedule, you really might be better off doing the Kona excursion to K-Bay because you are right that you might be tired from the luau the night before and you need to have some good energy for snorkeling. My choice would be to to K-Bay. You can always go snorkeling casually from numerous west and south-west beaches on Maui if you feel like you want to the morning after the luau.

beachchick

My excursion is not thru NCL. I haven't booked anything yet but was considering using Maui Charters catamaran trip. It is 5 hours so will be tiring especially with little sleep. Never been snorkeling and Molokini seemed to get best reviews. I may never get to do it again, never know, so I want to get the best experience. Since you have done Molokini and K-Bay & Honaunau, which would give us best snorkeling - smooth waters for beginners, prettiest most colorful views? We will be in Maui May 30-31.

We always rent with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. & if it happens to be with Thrifty, sign up for their Blue Chip Program. (no charge) If you happen to rent a car in Oahu from Thrifty, pay attention to their drop off location. Not easy to find.

You are pretty safe to try scuba in either Maui or Kona. Both excellent. If you do it in Maui may I suggest Maui Dreams? Great bunch of people to work with for shore dives.

The Old Lahaina Luau is our favorite.

We booked everything on our own & didn't use any cruise excursions. Worked out good for us.

Thank you to everyone, especially Lambs 2, for your help! We decided to do the following:

Hilo: rent car and see VNP on our own

Maui, Day 1: Scuba diving

Maui, Day 2: No concrete plans

Kona: Captain Zodiak

Which leaves Kauai. Can anyone recommend a good beach that isn't too far from the ship? Should we rent a car and see the island by ourselves?

Any help would be appreciated! Is there something that is a must see on Kauai?

I read about Kalapaki Beach at the Marriott is close to the ship. I plan to see Opaekaa Falls and Wailua Falls which are easy to get to with a rental car and I think less than 30 minutes from ship. North beaches I've read about are must see's. Good luck

I'm not speaking from experience but been doing research. My first trip to Hawaii and first cruise is in May.

When we were in Kauai last June we rented a car for all of Day 1. Drove to see the waterfalls, Kilaua (sp?) lighthouse, many great beackes all the way up the coast to the end (Kee Beach) where the Napali Coast starts. Then we drove to see Waimea Canyon. BEAUTIFIL VIEWS!. After that we drove to Poipu Beach and to see the Spouting Horn. Still made it back in time to turn in our rental car and catch the shuttle back to the ship for dinner. Day 2 we took an hour fixed wing aircraft flight with http://www.airventureshawaii.com/ over the whole island. INCREDIBLE!

After that we had a couple hours to enjoy the beach right there close to the cruise pier before sail away. INCREDIBLE TIME and we still had the absolutely breathtaking sail past the Napali coastline to experience that afternoon and early evening.!!

Thank you, Lambs 2! I will let you know about all the fun we have when we return...I appreciate your advice and also your great attitude when posting on this great website. You sound like someone who is a "boat load" of fun to be around! Best wishes to you and your family:)

My excursion is not thru NCL. I haven't booked anything yet but was considering using Maui Charters catamaran trip. It is 5 hours so will be tiring especially with little sleep. Never been snorkeling and Molokini seemed to get best reviews. I may never get to do it again, never know, so I want to get the best experience. Since you have done Molokini and K-Bay & Honaunau, which would give us best snorkeling - smooth waters for beginners, prettiest most colorful views? We will be in Maui May 30-31.

We actually have not yet ever made it to K-Bay, but it is on our "must do this" list precisely because it is known for having just about the best snorkeling in Hawaii. I know that many, many beginners take excursions there and have no problems. You need to know that there is no beach and no land access. Your snorkeling will be off the boat only.

Honaunau might be fine for beginners depending on the water/wind conditions that morning and where you enter. Our favorite entry is off a lava shelf, and I would not recommend it for beginners. However, there is also entry off an old boat ramp, which is pretty easy. The snorkeling in that area is very good with a good variety of fish, coral, and etc. and clear water. It is one that you would do completely on your own. You could consider Kahalu'u (at the end of Ali'i Dr. in Kona), which has facilities, easy entry, equipment, food, and usually good water plus often green sea turtles. You could also drive north up to the Kohala coast and try A-Bay/Beach (sorry, I can never remember the correct full spelling), Hapuna, or Mauna Kea. The snorkeling can be excellent up there.

Molokini, as with all locations, depends on the conditions. When the water is calmer and the winds are down, it is delightful and perfectly fine for beginners. It's even fine for beginners if the water is a bit rougher, but only if you stay clear of the wall (at least, that's MHO). You really need to book a morning excursion for Molokini because the afternoon conditions are often such that the boats can't even get out there later in the day. Again, there is no beach and no access except on and off the boat. It's really no biggie.

Actually, you should book morning excursions or go out in the morning no matter where you decide to go. Afternoons can be fine, especially at the more sheltered locations, but for beginners, you want to shoot for the calmest water possible.

I guess if I had to suggest one, I'd say book an excursion to K-Bay. However, Molokini would be a good choice too. Because you are a beginner, I'm not sure I would recommend that you go on your own unless you go to one of the larger areas with facilities, people, and lifeguards (if possible).

May is typically a good time of year for calmer waters, so you will probably be fine. There's just no guarantee either way.

beachchick

We always rent with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. & if it happens to be with Thrifty, sign up for their Blue Chip Program. (no charge) If you happen to rent a car in Oahu from Thrifty, pay attention to their drop off location. Not easy to find.

You are pretty safe to try scuba in either Maui or Kona. Both excellent. If you do it in Maui may I suggest Maui Dreams? Great bunch of people to work with for shore dives.

The Old Lahaina Luau is our favorite.

We booked everything on our own & didn't use any cruise excursions. Worked out good for us.

Thanks for this post. I just used the link to book a rental car while we are in port on Maui. Total is $128 for a convertible with Thirfty. Not booking any excursions with the cruise ship. Going to do everything on our own. I now just have to figure out the pick-up and drop-off plan for the rental car. ;)

When we were in Kauai last June we rented a car for all of Day 1. Drove to see the waterfalls, Kilaua (sp?) lighthouse, many great beackes all the way up the coast to the end (Kee Beach) where the Napali Coast starts. Then we drove to see Waimea Canyon. BEAUTIFIL VIEWS!. After that we drove to Poipu Beach and to see the Spouting Horn. Still made it back in time to turn in our rental car and catch the shuttle back to the ship for dinner. Day 2 we took an hour fixed wing aircraft flight with http://www.airventureshawaii.com/ over the whole island. INCREDIBLE!

After that we had a couple hours to enjoy the beach right there close to the cruise pier before sail away. INCREDIBLE TIME and we still had the absolutely breathtaking sail past the Napali coastline to experience that afternoon and early evening.!!

WOW! Air ventures has a $99 per person deal for an hour flight. I'm thinking of renting a car our first day in Kauai and driving around the island. Should I still do the air tour? Sounds like that is what you did as well and it worked out wonderfully. I really like that plan. We are only in port until 1:00 on the second day in Kauai. Would want a 10:00 or earlier flight. Gonna check into this.

Thanks

Hi Lambs2, I would love to do the same thing during my time on Kauai. I was getting the impression that this was way too much for one day. Could you please give me an idea of how much time you spent in the car and how many stops and how much time you spent at each?

I booked the NCL excursion to the canyon on day 2, cause didn't think we could fit it all in on day 1 and didn't want to feel pressured to meet the ship's 2pm departure on day 2. Has anyone done this excursion? Any reviews?

Thank you all again, B

Originally Posted by lambs2 viewpost.gif

I just tried to book with the above mentioned air tour and they are sold out for everything...book early!!!!:mad:

We took the NCL Waimea Canyon excursion about a year ago. It is your basic bus tour...we were in a large bus. But, we very much enjoyed it as we had a gentleman as our driver and tour guide and he was the BEST.

We saw more than I thought we would. We made a stop at Poipu Beach and several other spots for photo ops. Along the way our driver gave a ton of fascinating information. I am glad the professional drove the road up to the canyon! We had a beautiful day and came home with many wonderful pictures of the canyon.

Originally Posted by lambs2 viewpost.gif

I just tried to book with the above mentioned air tour and they are sold out for everything...book early!!!!:mad:

After I read this, went straight to the website to see if our times were available. They were. Booked two seats. Also feel comfortable that we can cancel if we need to.

60 days and counting!!!!

Archived