Swiss Army Knife

We were thinking of bringing a Swiss Army Knife with us on the cruise. (packing it in my check in luggage) We like to have one with us when we go to a port, for picnics on the beach, etc.

Will we have trouble bringing it back on the boat (through the X-ray) when we come back from a port?

You probably will. My husband purchased one in San Juan and upon boarding the ship they took it from him and held it for safe keeping until the end of the cruise. We had to claim it from a customs officer after we left the ship. He had a receipt from the ship to get it. It was way too much trouble. Felt like we were being looked at funny if you know what I mean.

Don't bring any knives even in checked luggage. I had a dive knife and a pocket knife taken from my checked luggage and held to the end of the cruise by ship's security. They were given back to me as I was disembarking.

Took my dive knife with me on our last cruise out of Tampa.Since we live near the port I just put it with my gear when we got to the pier.When we got our luggage that night my gear bag was not there,so I inquired about it at the pursor's desk.The ships security made me open the bag and had me take my knife out and give it to them.They said I could get it at every port that I disembarked but had to check it back in when I boarded again.They gave me a receipt everytime they got it back.I would never dive or snorkel without my dive knife.Call RCCL and ask them how they want to handle it,if they can't sort it out take it with you and give it to them at the security check point.One question,are you taking it on the plane with you or checking it with your luggage.Hope that helps some.Mike.

One question,are you taking it on the plane with you or checking it with your luggage.

We were going to check it on the plane, but it now sounds like too much of a hassle on the boat. I guess it will be plastic knives!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I bring a swiss army knife on my cruises and never take it of the ship I keep it for all reasons and it does come in very handy. The only thing is I live near two ports so i dont have to deal with airports!

I always travel with a Swiss army knife in my checked luggage. Never a problem as long as it is in checked luggage on airplanes, and comes in VERY handy all the time after reaching the destination.

Wasn't a problem on my first cruise, and I am sure it won't be a problem on the 2nd next week. I wouldn't advise taking it off the ship however.

Saw an older gentleman have his Swiss Army Knife confiscated in Cozumel as we re-boarded the ship. He was very put-out. Don't know what happened in that situation. I did have a bottle opener in my carryon that had a knife and they permited that. Only used the knife to remove the cable-ties.

Always travel with my Swiss Army Knife in checked luggage - no problem anywhere. It has a number of nifty pieces including scissors which I have used to trim my bangs while on a cruise.

I would never dream of taking it off the ship at a port.

• 5 months later...
I always travel with a Swiss army knife in my checked luggage. Never a problem as long as it is in checked luggage on airplanes, and comes in VERY handy all the time after reaching the destination.

Wasn't a problem on my first cruise, and I am sure it won't be a problem on the 2nd next week. I wouldn't advise taking it off the ship however.

Am very interested in what happened on your 2nd cruise; was your knife confiscated? DH is planning on taking his S.A.K. in the checked baggage (no airport involved) and we would leave it on the ship & not take it off/on for excursions.

Please let me know how it went for you & thanks.

I carry a Leatherman tool all the time in my pocket. I typically put it into my checked baggage in the airport and have never had a problem. When I was on the Carnival Destiny in June, I usually had a carry on like my backpack. I usually just put the Leatherman in my backpack and it was never stopped on x-ray scan. I took it off the ship with me daily and as long as it was in the backpack (so as not to be on my person when going through the metal detector) it seemed to be fine. Not so much as a question or request to open my bag.

Archived