Green Sand Beach Questions

JoeandSheryl

Hi

We are going to be staying on the Big Island for 5 days.

My wife really wants to see the Green Sand beach at South Point.

We are renting a Jeep Wrangler. Is it possible to drive all the way to the beach in the Jeep. Also any other tips or info woul dbe appreciated.

Thanks Joe and Sheryl :)

Yes, you have to hike down to the beach as I recall and it was really steep. If it's been raining heavily, don't go. You can get really really bogged down. Someone else reported that there were some chaps trying to make visitors pay an entrance fee, which isn't necessary.

You might want to do a search and see if you can find this thread becasue it had lots of really sound advice.

Charlie

Basically, you need a four wheel drive vehicle to drive the aproximately 3 miles from the south point area to the beach. From there, you're parking in an area that does take some scrambling down to get to it, although it's not too bad provided you try to climb down in the right spot. Basically just take a careful look and you should be able to find the easiest way. (A couple years ago when I was there there happened to be a big plastic barrel right at the proper spot to climb down. Don't know if it's still there now though).

Archived